- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pain Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 898493, 7 pages
Opioid Use in Fibromyalgia Is Associated with Negative Health Related Measures in a Prospective Cohort Study
1Division of Rheumatology, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1A4
2Alan Edwards Pain Management Unit, Montreal General Hospital, McGill University Health Centre, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1A4
3Faculty of Law, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada H3C 3J7
Received 9 May 2012; Accepted 18 February 2013
Academic Editor: Muhammad B. Yunus
Copyright © 2013 Mary-Ann Fitzcharles et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Wolfe, D. J. Clauw, M. A. Fitzcharles et al., “The American College of Rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 600–610, 2010.
- R. M. Bennett, J. Jones, D. C. Turk, I. J. Russell, and L. Matallana, “An internet survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article 27, 2007.
- M.-A. Fitzcharles, P. A. Ste-Marie, A. Gamsa, M. A. Ware, and Y. Shir, “Opioid use, misuse, and abuse in patients labeled as fibromyalgia,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 124, no. 10, pp. 955–960, 2011.
- D. L. Goldenberg, K. Ryan, A. Chandran, and G. Zlateva, “What is the true cost of fibromyalgia to our society: results from a cross-sectional survey in the United States,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, supplement 10, p. 104, 2009.
- S. Okie, “A flood of opioids, a rising tide of deaths,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 21, pp. 1981–1985, 2010.
- R. Melzack, “The McGill pain questionnaire: major properties and scoring methods,” PAIN, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 277–299, 1975.
- C. S. Burckhardt, S. R. Clark, and R. M. Bennett, “The fibromyalgia impact questionnaire: development and validation,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 728–733, 1991.
- J. F. Fries, P. Spitz, R. G. Kraines, and H. R. Holman, “Measurement of patient outcome in arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 1980.
- R. F. Meenan, P. M. Gertman, and J. H. Mason, “Measuring health status in arthritis: the arthritis impact measurement scales,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 146–152, 1980.
- M. J. L. Sullivan, S. R. Bishop, and J. Pivik, “The pain catastrophizing scale: development and validation,” Psychological Assessment, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 524–532, 1995.
- C. S. Boomershine and L. J. Crofford, “A symptom-based approach to pharmacologic management of fibromyalgia,” Nature reviews Rheumatology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 191–199, 2009.
- A. M. Abeles, M. H. Pillinger, B. M. Solitar, and M. Abeles, “Narrative review: the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 10, pp. 726–734, 2007.
- J. W. Younger, A. J. Zautra, and E. T. Cummins, “Effects of naltrexone on pain sensitivity and mood in fibromyalgia: no evidence for endogenous opioid pathophysiology,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 4, Article ID e5180, 2009.
- E. H. Choy and P. J. Mease, “Key symptom domains to be assessed in fibromyalgia (outcome measures in rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials),” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 329–337, 2009.
- A. Boulanger, A. J. Clark, P. Squire, E. Cui, and G. L. A. Horbay, “Chronic pain in Canada: have we improved our management of chronic noncancer pain?” Pain Research and Management, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2007.
- A. D. Furlan, J. A. Sandoval, A. Mailis-Gagnon, and E. Tunks, “Opioids for chronic noncancer pain: a meta-analysis of effectiveness and side effects,” CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 174, no. 11, pp. 1589–1594, 2006.
- R. M. Bennett, M. Kamin, R. Karim, and N. Rosenthal, “Tramadol and acetaminophen combination tablets in the treatment of fibromyalgia pain: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. 537–545, 2003.
- G. Biasi, S. Manca, S. Manganelli, and R. Marcolongo, “Tramadol in the fibromyalgia syndrome: a controlled clinical trial versus placebo,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 1998.
- W. Häuser, K. Thieme, and D. C. Turk, “Guidelines on the management of fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2010.
- S. F. Carville, S. Arendt-Nielsen, H. Bliddal et al., “EULAR evidence-based recommendations for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 536–541, 2008.
- C. Burckhardt, D. Goldenberg, L. Crofford, R. Gerwin, S. Gowans, Kackson, et al., “Guideline for the management of fibromyalgia syndrome,” Pain in Adults and Children. APS Clinical Practice Guideline Series 4, American Pain Society, Glenview, Ill, USA, 2005.
- G. P. Kurita, P. Sjøgren, K. Juel, J. H. Højsted, and O. Ekholm, “The burden of chronic: a cross-sectional survey focussing on diseases, immigration, and opioid use,” Pain, vol. 153, no. 12, pp. 2332–2338, 2012.
- M. Lee, S. Silverman, H. Hansen, V. Patel, and L. Manchikanti, “A comprehensive review of opioid-induced hyperalgesia,” Pain Physician, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 145–161, 2011.
- R. Chou, G. J. Fanciullo, P. G. Fine et al., “Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain,” Journal of Pain, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 113.e22–130.e22, 2009.
- L. J. Crofford, “Adverse effects of chronic opioid therapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 191–197, 2010.
- D. M. Hartung, L. Middleton, D. G. Haxby, M. Koder, K. L. Ketchum, and R. Chou, “Rates of adverse events of long-acting opioids in a state medicaid program,” Annals of Pharmacotherapy, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 921–928, 2007.
- L. Manchikanti, B. Fellows, H. Ailinani, and V. Pampati, “Therapeutic use, abuse, and nonmedical use of opioids: a ten-year perspective,” Pain Physician, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 401–435, 2010.
- A. D. Furlan, R. Reardon, and C. Weppler, “Opioids for chronic noncancer pain: a new Canadian practice guideline,” CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 182, no. 9, pp. 923–930, 2010.