- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Plastic Surgery International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 207452, 6 pages
Mobilisation versus Bed Rest after Skin Grafting Pretibial Lacerations: A Meta-Analysis
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
Received 6 December 2011; Accepted 28 December 2011
Academic Editor: G. L. Robb
Copyright © 2012 James Southwell-Keely and John Vandervord. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. H. Poole and S. M. Mills, “One hundred consecutive cases of flap lacerations of the leg in ageing patients,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 107, no. 986, pp. 377–378, 1994.
- S. N. Tandon and A. B. Sutherland, “Pretibial lacerations,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 172–175, 1973.
- A. L. Panting and G. B. Blake, “Pretibial lacerations,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 83, no. 566, pp. 439–441, 1976.
- S. R. Baker, M. C. Stacey, G. Singh, S. E. Hoskin, and P. J. Thompson, “Aetiology of chronic leg ulcers,” European Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 1992.
- I. C. Valencia, A. Falabella, R. S. Kirsner, and W. H. Eaglstein, “Chronic venous insufficiency and venous leg ulceration,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 401–424, 2001.
- I. A. McGregor and A. D. McGregor, Fundamental Techniques of Plastic Surgery, Churchill-Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 9th edition, 1995.
- A. F. Bardsley, D. S. Soutar, D. Elliot, and A. G. Batchelor, “Reducing morbidity in the radial forearm flap donor site,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 287–292, 1990.
- M. J. Timmons, F. E. M. Missotten, M. D. Poole, and D. M. Davies, “Complications of radial forearm flap donor sites,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 176–178, 1986.
- D. Cerimele, L. Celleno, and F. Serri, “Physiological changes in ageing skin,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 122, no. 35, pp. 13–20, 1990.
- E. A. Ayello, “What does the wound say? Why determining etiology is essential for appropriate wound care,” Advances in Skin & Wound Care, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 98–111, 2005.
- S. H. Wood and V. C. Lees, “A prospective investigation of the healing of grafted pretibial wounds with early and late mobilisation,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 127–131, 1994.
- R. Sutton and P. Pritty, “Use of sutures or adhesive tapes for primary closure of pretibial lacerations,” British Medical Journal, vol. 290, no. 6482, p. 1627, 1985.
- D. Foroughi and D. K. Nouri, “Grafting without a donor site: an easy approach to pretibial lacerations,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 245–247, 1990.
- D. C. Haiart, A. B. Paul, R. Chalmers, and J. M. T. Griffiths, “Pretibial lacerations: a comparison of primary excision and grafting with “defatting” the flap,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 312–314, 1990.
- W. G. Holdsworth, “Clinical surgery,” in Plastic Surgery, R. J. V. Battle, Ed., Butterworths, London, UK, 1965.
- J. A. Heit, M. D. Silverstein, D. N. Mohr, T. M. Petterson, W. M. O'Fallon, and L. J. Melton, “Risk factors for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a population-based case-control study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 6, pp. 809–815, 2000.
- M. C. Creditor, “Hazards of hospitalization of the elderly,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 1993.
- D. C. Bodenham and R. Watson, “The early ambulation of patients with lower limb grafts,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 24, no. C, pp. 20–22, 1971.
- D. Moher, D. J. Cook, S. Eastwood, I. Olkin, D. Rennie, and D. F. Stroup, “Improving the quality of reports of meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials: the QUOROM statement,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9193, pp. 1896–1900, 1999.
- C. Begg, M. Cho, S. Eastwood et al., “Improving the quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials: the CONSORT statement,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 8, pp. 637–639, 1996.
- D. G. Altman, “Better reporting of randomised controlled trials: the CONSORT statement,” British Medical Journal, vol. 313, no. 7057, pp. 570–571, 1996.
- K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, and D. Moher, “CONSORT 2010 Statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials,” BMC Medicine, vol. 8, article 18, 2010.
- J. P. A. Ioannidis, A. B. Haidich, M. Pappa et al., “Comparison of evidence of treatment effects in randomized and nonrandomized studies,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 7, pp. 821–830, 2001.
- L. Wallenberg, “Effect of early mobilisation after skin grafting to lower limbs,” Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Hand Surgery, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 411–413, 1999.
- Review Manager (RevMan) [Computer program]. Version 4.2 for Windows, The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2003.
- R. Hatala, S. Keitz, P. Wyer, and G. Guyatt, “Tips for learners of evidence-based medicine: 4. Assessing heterogeneity of primary studies in systematic reviews and whether to combine their results,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 172, no. 5, pp. 661–665, 2005.
- B. G. Tallon and G. F. Oliver, “Comparison of inpatient bed rest and home convalescence following split thickness skin grafting to the lower leg,” Australasian Journal of Dermatology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 11–13, 2007.
- T. O. Smith, “When should patients begin ambulating following lower limb split skin graft surgery? A systematic review,” Physiotherapy, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 135–145, 2006.
- G. T. Golden, C. G. Power, and J. R. Skinner, “A technic of lower extremity mesh grafting with early ambulation,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 646–647, 1977.
- B. Burnsworth, M. J. Krob, and M. Langer-Schnepp, “Immediate ambulation of patients with lower-extremity grafts,” Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 1992.
- L. S. Nichter, R. F. Morgan, and M. R. McIntire, “Early ambulation after skin grafting of depressed wounds of the leg,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 283–284, 1983.
- S. R. Ramnani and P. A. M. Weston, “Pretibial flab wounds: early grafting under regional anaesthesia as an outpatient procedure,” Injury, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 360–364, 1981.
- S. Shankar and C. T. K. Khoo, “Lower limb skin loss: simple outpatient management with meshed skin grafts with immediate mobilization,” Archives of Emergency Medicine, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 187–192, 1987.
- L. Bradley, “Pretibial lacerations in older patients: the treatment options,” Journal of Wound Care, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 521–523, 2001.
- B. M. Jones and R. Sanders, “Pretibial injuries: a common pitfall,” British Medical Journal, vol. 286, no. 6364, p. 502, 1983.
- J. C. Luscombe, “Mobilisation after skin grafting of pretibial lacerations,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 646–647, 2001.
- G. W. Cox and J. A. Griswold, “Outpatient skin grafting of extremity burn wounds with the use of Unna Boot compression dressings,” Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 455–457, 1993.
- S. Dean and B. Press, “Outpatient or short-stay skin grafting with early ambulation for lower-extremity burns,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 150–151, 1990.
- B. J. Grube, L. H. Engrav, and D. M. Heimbach, “Early ambulation and discharge in 100 patients with burns of the foot treated by grafts,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 662–664, 1992.
- T. Harnar, L. H. Engrav, and J. Marvin, “Dr. Paul Unna's boot and early ambulation after skin grafting the leg: a survey of burn centers and a report of 20 cases,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 359–360, 1982.
- D. T. Sharpe, E. Cardoso, and V. Baheti, “The immediate mobilisation of patients with lower limb skin grafts: a clinical report,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 105–108, 1983.
- M. A. Schmitt, L. French, and E. T. Kalil, “How soon is safe? Ambulation of the patient with burns after lower-extremity skin grafting,” Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 1991.
- S. Dasan and K. Hashemi, “Primary split skin grafts for pretibial lacerations,” Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 560–561, 2005.
- M. Ahmad, B. Martin, and K. Mackway-Jones, “Closure of pretibial lacerations,” Journal of Accident and Emergency Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 287–288, 2000.
- B. S. Crawford and M. Gipson, “The conservative management of pretibial lacerations in elderly patients,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 174–176, 1977.
- J. Silk, “A new approach to the management of pretibial lacerations,” Injury, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 373–376, 2001.
- P. G. Budny, J. Lavelle, P. J. Regan, and A. H. N. Roberts, “Pretibial injuries in the elderly: a prospective trial of early mobilisation versus bed rest following surgical treatment,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 594–598, 1993.
- N. R. Gaze, “Early mobilization in the treatment of shin injuries,” Injury, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 209–210, 1979.