- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Plastic Surgery International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 728981, 5 pages
Evaluation of the Current Perspectives on Letters of Recommendation for Residency Applicants among Plastic Surgery Program Directors
1Division of Plastic Surgery, Scott & White Healthcare and Texas A&M Health Science Center, Temple, TX 76508, USA
2Department of Biostatistics, Scott & White Healthcare, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Received 19 January 2012; Accepted 30 January 2012
Academic Editor: N. Scuderi
Copyright © 2012 K. Shultz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Janis and D. A. Hatef, “Resident selection protocols in plastic surgery: a national survey of plastic surgery program directors,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 1929–1939, 2008.
- J. B. Fortune, “The content and value of letters of recommendation in the resident candidate evaluative process,” Current Surgery, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 79–83, 2002.
- A. G. Greenburg, J. Doyle, and D. K. McClure, “Letters of recommendation for surgical residencies: what they say and what they mean,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 192–198, 1994.
- S. M. Keim, J. A. Rein, C. Chisholm et al., “A standardized letter of recommendation for residency application,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1141–1146, 1999.
- B. Z. Morgenstern, E. Zalneraitis, and S. Slavin, “Improving the letter of recommendation for pediatric residency applicants: an idea whose time has come?” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 143–144, 2003.
- C. M. O'Halloran, E. M. Altmaier, W. L. Smith, and E. A. Franken, “Evaluation of resident applicants by letters of recommendation: a comparison of traditional and behavior-based formats,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 274–277, 1993.
- K. J. DeZee, M. R. Thomas, M. Mintz, and S. J. Durning, “Letters of recommendation: rating, writing, and reading by clerkship directors of internal medicine,” Teaching and Learning in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 153–158, 2009.
- D. Girzadas, R. C. Harwood, S. N. Delis et al., “Emergency medicine standardized letter of recommendation: predictors of guaranteed match,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 648–653, 2001.
- J. R. LaGrasso, D. A. Kennedy, J. G. Hoehn, S. Ashruf, and A. M. Przybyla, “Selection criteria for the integrated model of plastic surgery residency,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 121e–125e, 2008.
- “NRMP program directors Survey Results, 2010,” National Residency Matching Program, http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf.