- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Plastic Surgery International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 973240, 4 pages
Weight Gain in Children with Cleft Lip and Palate without Use of Palatal Plates
1Center for Integral Assistance of Cleft Lip and Palate, Federal University of Paraná, Cuitiba, PR, Brazil
2School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 13 November 2012
Academic Editor: Nivaldo Alonso
Copyright © 2012 Renato da Silva Freitas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Haberg, O. Larson, and J. Milerad, “Incidence of cleft lip and palate and risks of additional malformations,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 1998.
- K. Mizuno, A. Ueda, K. Kani, and H. Kawamura, “Feeding behaviour of infants with cleft lip and palate,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 1227–1232, 2002.
- M. C. Endriga, M. L. Speltz, C. L. Maris, and K. Jones, “Feeding and attachment in infants with and without orofacial clefts,” Infant Behavior and Development, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 699–712, 1998.
- I. N. Ize-Iyamu and B. D. Saheeb, “Feeding intervention in cleft lip and palate babies: a practical approach to feeding efficiency and weight gain,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 916–919, 2011.
- Y. A. Zarate, L. J. Martin, R. J. Hopkin, P. L. Bender, X. Zhang, and H. M. Saal, “Evaluation of growth in patients with isolated cleft lip and/or cleft palate,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. e543–e549, 2010.
- I. L. Marques, J. A. Nackashi, H. C. Borgo et al., “Longitudinal study of growth of children with unilateral cleft-lip palate from birth to two years of age,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 603–609, 2009.
- J. N. Mcheik and G. Levard, “Growth in infants in the first two years of life after neonatal repair for unilateral cleft lip and palate,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 465–468, 2010.
- L. C. Montagnoli, M. A. Barbieri, H. Bettiol, I. L. Marques, and L. de Souza, “Prejuízo no crescimento de crianças com diferentes tipos de fissura lábio-palatina nos dois primeiros anos de idade. Um estudo transversal,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 461–465, 2005.
- D. A. Redford-Badwal, K. Mabry, and J. D. Frassinelli, “Impact of cleft lip and/or palate on nutritional health and oral-motor development,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 305–317, 2003.
- M. A. Darzi, N. A. Chowdri, and A. N. Bhat, “Breast feeding or spoon feeding after cleft lip repair: a prospective, randomised study,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 24–26, 1996.
- C. Prahl, A. M. Kuijpers-Jagtman, M. A. Van't Hof, and B. Prahl-Andersen, “Infant orthopedics in UCLP: effect on feeding, weight, and length: a randomized clinical trial (Dutchcleft),” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2005.
- S. Aminpour and T. T. Tollefson, “Recent advances in presurgical molding in cleft lip and palate,” Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 339–346, 2008.
- L. G. Amstalden-Mendes, L. A. Magna, and V. L. Gil-da-Silva-Lopes, “Neonatal care of infants with cleft lip and/or palate: feeding orientation and evolution of weight gain in a nonspecialized Brazilian hospital,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 329–334, 2007.
- M. L. Cunningham and J. T. Jerome, “Linear growth characteristics of children with cleft lip and palate,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 707–711, 1997.
- L. V. Avedian and R. L. Ruberg, “Impaired weight gain in cleft palate infants,” Cleft Palate Journal, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 24–26, 1980.
- J. Reid, “A review of feeding interventions for infants with cleft palate,” Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 268–278, 2004.
- E. B. Silva, C. L. B. Fúria, and C. Q. M. S. Di Ninno, “Aleitamento materno em recém nascidos portadores de fissura labiopalatina: dificuldades e métodos utilizados,” Revista CEFAC, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2005.
- N. H. Robin, H. Baty, J. Franklin et al., “The multidisciplinary evaluation and management of cleft lip and palate,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 1111–1120, 2006.