- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Plastic Surgery International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 571685, 6 pages
Open Reduction Internal Fixation Poststernotomy Mediastinitis
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Jewish General Hospital, 3755 Côte-Sainte-Catherine Road, A500, Montreal, QC, Canada H3T 1E2
Received 11 March 2013; Revised 25 May 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Nicolo Scuderi
Copyright © 2013 Hani Sinno and Tassos Dionisopoulos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Gerbode, M. V. Braimbridge, and D. G. Melrose, “Median sternotomy for open cardiac surgery during total heart-lung by-pass,” AMA Archives of Surgery, vol. 76, pp. 821–824, 1958.
- O. C. Julian, M. Lopez-Belio, W. S. Dye, H. Javid, and W. J. Grove, “The median sternal incision in intracardiac surgery with extracorporeal circulation: a general evaluation of its use in heart surgery,” Surgery, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 753–761, 1957.
- J. L. Ochsner, N. L. Mills, and W. C. Woolverton, “Disruption and infection of the median sternotomy incision,” Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 394–399, 1972.
- T. G. Baffes, W. V. Blazek, J. L. Fridman, M. H. Agustsson, and J. van Elk, “Postoperative infections in 1,136 consecutive cardiac operations,” Surgery, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 791–799, 1970.
- M. G. Sarr, V. L. Gott, and T. R. Townsend, “Mediastinal infection after cardiac surgery,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 415–423, 1984.
- T. Nagachinta, M. Stephens, B. Reitz, and B. F. Polk, “Risk factors for surgical-wound infection following cardiac surgery,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 156, no. 6, pp. 967–973, 1987.
- R. H. Breyer, S. A. Mills, A. S. Hudspeth, F. R. Johnston, and A. R. Cordell, “A prospective study of sternal wound complications,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 412–416, 1984.
- R. Rutledge, R. E. Applebaum, and B. J. Kim, “Mediastinal infection after open heart surgery,” Surgery, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 88–92, 1985.
- A. T. Culliford, J. N. Cunningham Jr., R. H. Zeff, O. W. Isom, P. Teiko, and F. C. Spencer, “Sternal and costochondral infections following open heart surgery. A review of 2,594 cases,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 714–726, 1976.
- H. B. Shumacker Jr. and I. Mandelbaum, “Continuous antibiotic irrigation in the treatment of infection,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 86, pp. 384–387, 1963.
- A. B. Lee Jr., G. Schimert, S. Shatkin, and J. H. Seigel, “Total excision of the sternum and thoracic pedicle transposition of the greater omentum; Useful strategems in managing severe mediastinal infection following open heart surgery,” Surgery, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 433–436, 1976.
- M. J. Jurkiewicz, J. Bostwick III, T. R. Hester, J. B. Bishop, and J. Craver, “Infected median sternotomy wound. Successful treatment by muscle flaps,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 738–744, 1980.
- L. J. Gottlieb, R. W. Pielet, R. B. Karp et al., “Rigid internal fixation of the sternum in postoperative mediastinitis,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 489–493, 1994.
- C. W. Chase, J. D. Franklin, D. P. Guest, and D. E. Barker, “Internal fixation of the sternum in median sternotomy dehiscence,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1667–1673, 1999.
- A. Mitra, M. M. Elahi, G. B. Tariq, H. Mir, R. Powell, and J. Spears, “Composite plate and wire fixation for complicated sternal closure,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 217–221, 2004.
- O. J. Cicilioni Jr., F. H. Stieg III, and G. Papanicolaou, “Sternal wound reconstruction with transverse plate fixation,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1297–1303, 2005.
- G. Jones, M. J. Jurkiewicz, J. Bostwick et al., “Management of the infected median sternotomy wound with muscle flaps: the emory 20-year experience,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 225, no. 6, pp. 766–778, 1997.
- V. Costache, G. Gaudreau, C. Houde et al., “The assosciation of VAC therapy, titanium plates osteosynthesis and bilateral pectoral muscle flaps in the management of postoperative mediastinitis in an obese and diabetic patient,” Annales de Chirurgie Plastique et Esthetique, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 597–602, 2010.
- R. Baillot, D. Cloutier, L. Montalin et al., “Impact of deep sternal wound infection management with vacuum-assisted closure therapy followed by sternal osteosynthesis: a 15-year review of 23 499 sternotomies,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 880–887, 2010.
- G. Gaudreau, V. Costache, C. Houde et al., “Recurrent sternal infection following treatment with negative pressure wound therapy and titanium transverse plate fixation,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 888–892, 2010.
- S. R. Dickie, A. H. Dorafshar, and D. H. Song, “Definitive closure of the infected median sternotomy wound: a treatment algorithm utilizing vacuum-assisted closure followed by rigid plate fixation,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 680–685, 2006.
- D. H. Song, R. F. Lohman, J. D. Renucci, V. Jeevanandam, and J. Raman, “Primary sternal plating in high-risk patients prevents mediastinitis,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 367–372, 2004.
- C. W. Snyder, L. A. Graham, R. E. Byers, and W. L. Holma, “Primary sternal plating to prevent sternal wound complications after cardiac surgery: early experience and patterns of failure,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 763–766, 2009.
- J. Raman, D. H. Song, G. Bolotin, and V. Jeevanandam, “Sternal closure with titanium plate fixation—a paradigm shift in preventing mediastinitis,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 336–339, 2006.
- J. Raman, D. Straus, and D. H. Song, “Rigid plate fixation of the sternum,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 1056–1058, 2007.
- H. Fawzy, N. Alhodaib, C. D. Mazer et al., “Sternal plating for primary and secondary sternal closure; can it improve sternal stability?” Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery, vol. 4, article 19, 2009.
- J. C. Lee, J. Raman, and D. H. Song, “Primary sternal closure with titanium plate fixation: plastic surgery effecting a paradigm shift,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1720–1724, 2010.
- K. C. Neaman, A. L. Blount, J. A. Kim, J. D. Renucci, and R. L. Hooker, “Prophylactic sternal plating with pectoralis advancement flaps after sternotomy in patients with a history of chest irradiation,” Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 355–358, 2011.
- G. G. Hallock and G. W. Szydlowski, “Rigid fixation of the sternum using a new coupled titanium transverse plate fixation system,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 640–644, 2007.
- J. E. Losanoff, J. R. Foerst, H. Huff et al., “Biomechanical porcine model of median sternotomy closure,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 108–112, 2002.