- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Society Affiliation ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 503543, 5 pages
Effect of Plant Characteristics and Within-Plant Distribution of Prey on Colonization Efficiency of Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) Adults
Department of Entomology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Received 2 October 2011; Accepted 20 December 2011
Academic Editor: Martin H. Villet
Copyright © 2012 Folukemi Adedipe and Yong-Lak Park. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Flaherty, L. Christiensen, and W. T. Lanini, “Mealybugs,” in Grape Pest Management, D. L. Flaherty, L. P. Christensen, W. T. Lanini, J. J. Marois, P. A. Phillips, and L. T. Wilson, Eds., pp. 159–165, University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 3343, Calif, USA, 1992.
- N. Uygun, Integrated Pest Management in Turkish Citrus Orchard, Agricultural Research Project Publications, Adana, Turkey, 2001.
- H. Acheche, S. Fattouch, S. M'Hirsi, N. Marzouki, and M. Marrakchi, “Use of optimized PCR methods for the detection of GLRaV3: a closterovirus associated with grapevine leafroll in Tunisian grapevine plants,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 1999.
- G. O. Furness, “Chemical and integrated control of the long-tailed mealybug, Pseudococcus longispinus (Targioni-Tozzetti) (Hemiptera: Coccidae) in the Riverland of South Australia,” Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 28, pp. 319–332, 1977.
- S. Cooper, “Cryptolaemus montrouzieri: a predator for mealybug,” British Cactus and Succulent Journal, vol. 3, pp. 38–39, 1985.
- E. Swirski, Y. Izhar, M. Wysoki, E. Gurevitz, and S. Greenberg, “Integrated control of the long-tailed mealybug, Pseudococcus longispinus [Hom.: Pseudococcidae], in avocado plantations in Israel,” Entomophaga, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 415–426, 1980.
- B. R. Bartlett, “Introduction into California of cold-tolerant biotypes of the mealybug predator, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri, and laboratory procedures for testing natural enemies for cold-hardness,” Environmental Entomology, vol. 3, pp. 553–556, 1974.
- B. R. Bartlett, “Diaspididae, eriococcidae, margarodidae, ortheziidae, pseudococcidae,” in Introduced Parasite and Predators of Arthropod Pests and Weeds: a World Review, P. Clausen C., Ed., U.S.D.A. Agriculture Handbook no. 480, pp. 57–170, Washington, DC, USA, 1978.
- C. Sadof, “Know your friends: mealybug destroyer,” 1995, http://www.oisat.org/control_methods/natural_enemies/predators/mealybug_destroyer.html.
- J. C. van Lenteren, Quality Control and Production of Biological Control Agents: Theory and Testing Procedures, CABI Publishing, London, UK, 2003.
- M. M. Kinawy, H. M. Al-Waili, and A. M. Almandhari, “Review of the successful classical biological control programs in Sultanate of Oman,” Egyptian Journal of Biological Pest Control, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2008.
- S. F. Smith and V. A. Krischik, “Effects of biorational pesticides on four coccinellid species (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) having potential as biological control agents in interiorscapes,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 732–736, 2000.
- N. Al-Khateeb and L. Asslan, “Preliminary data on settlement and adaptation of the predator, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri mulsant (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) in colonies of Mealy Bugs on citrus trees in the Syrian Coast,” Egyptian Journal of Biological Pest Control, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 191–192, 2009.
- A. Persad and A. Khan, “Comparison of life table parameters for Maconellicoccus hirsutus, Anagyrus kamali, Cryptolaemus montrouzieri and Scymnus coccivora,” BioControl, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 137–149, 2002.
- J. F. Garcia and R. J. O'Neil, “Effect of Coleus size and variegation on attack rates, searching strategy, and selected life history characteristics of Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae),” Biological Control, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 225–234, 2000.
- P. W. Price, C. E. Bouton, P. Gross, B. A. McPheron, J. N. Thompson, and A. E. Weis, “Interactions among three trophic levels: Influence of plants on interactions between insect herbivores and natural enemies,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 11, pp. 41–65, 1980.
- J. H. Lawton, “Plant architecture and the diversity of phytophagous insects,” Annual review of entomology, vol. 28, pp. 23–39, 1983.
- D. A. Andow and D. R. Prokrym, “Plant structural complexity and host-finding by a parasitoid,” Oecologia, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 162–165, 1990.
- P. Kareiva and R. Sahakian, “Tritrophic effects of a simple architectural mutation in pea plants,” Nature, vol. 345, no. 6274, pp. 433–434, 1990.
- F. S. Grevstad and B. W. Klepetka, “The influence of plant architecture on the foraging efficiencies of a suite of ladybird beetles feeding on aphids,” Oecologia, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 399–404, 1992.
- J. Merlin, O. Lemaitre, and J. C. Grégoire, “Oviposition in Cryptolaemus montrouzieri stimulated by wax filaments of its prey,” Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 1996.
- G. Ernsting and D. C. Van Der Werf, “Hunger, partial consumption of prey and prey size preference in a carabid beetle,” Ecological Entomology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 155–164, 1988.
- SAS Institute, SAS OnlineDoc Version 9.1.3, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2008.
- R. R. Sokal and F. J. Rohlf, Biometry, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- Y. Jinsong and C. S. Sadof, “Variegation in Coleus blumei and the life history of citrus mealybug (Homoptera: Pseudococcidae),” Environmental Entomology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1650–1655, 1995.
- D. Moore, “Agents used for biological control of mealybugs (Pseudococcidae),” Biocontrol News and Information, vol. 9, pp. 209–225, 1988.