- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Society Affiliation ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 930975, 19 pages
Life History of the Camelthorn Gall Leafhopper, Scenergates viridis (Vilbaste) (Hemiptera, Cicadellidae)
1Paleontological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Profsoyuznaya St. 123, 117647 Moscow, Russia
2Functional Morphology and Biomechanics, Zoological Institute, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, D-24098 Kiel, Germany
Received 28 December 2011; Accepted 8 February 2012
Academic Editor: Ai-Ping Liang
Copyright © 2012 Roman Rakitov and Esther Appel. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Wool, “Gall-inducing aphids: biology, ecology, and evolution,” in Biology, Ecology, and Evolution of Gall-Inducing Arthropods, A. Raman, C. W. Schaefer, and T. M. Withers, Eds., pp. 73–132, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2005.
- D. Burckhardt, “Biology, ecology, and evolution of gall-inducing psyllids (Hemiptera: Psylloidea),” in Biology, Ecology, and Evolution of Gall-Inducing Arthropods, A. Raman, C. W. Schaefer, and T. M. Withers, Eds., pp. 143–158, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2005.
- P. J. Gullan, D. R. Miller, and L. G. Cook, “Gall-inducing scale insects (Hemiptera: Sternorrhyncha: Coccoidea),” in Biology, Ecology, and Evolution of Gall-Inducing Arthropods, A. Raman, C. W. Schaefer, and T. M. Withers, Eds., pp. 159–230, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2005.
- D. J. Werner, “Gallwanzen und Wanzengallen (Heteroptera: Tingidae),” Verhandlungen Westdeutscher Entomologentag, vol. 2000, pp. 211–228, 2001.
- C. W. Schaefer, “Gall-inducing heteropterans (Hemiptera),” in Biology, Ecology, and Evolution of Gall-Inducing Arthropods, A. Raman, C. W. Schaefer, and T. M. Withers, Eds., pp. 231–238, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2005.
- K. Matsukura, M. Matsumura, and M. Tokuda, “Host manipulation by the orange leafhopper Cicadulina bipunctata: gall induction on distant leaves by dose-dependent stimulation,” Naturwissenschaften, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1059–1066, 2009.
- K. Matsukura, M. Matsumura, and M. Tokuda, “Both nymphs and adults of the maize orange leafhopper induce galls on their host plant,” Communicative and Integrative Biology, vol. 3, pp. 388–389, 2010.
- L. L. Deitz, P. A. Alvarez, C. R. Bartlett, J. R. Cryan, C. H. Dietrich, and R. A. Rakitov, “Suborder Auchenorrhyncha (Cicadas, Leafhoppers, Planthoppers, Spittlebugs, and Treehoppers),” DrMetcalf: a resource on cicadas, leafhoppers, planthoppers, spittlebugs, and treehoppers, 2008, http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/specialcollections/digital/metcalf/auchenorrhyncha.html.
- I. D. Mitjaev, “A gall-forming leafhopper,” Transactions of the Institute of Zoology of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR, vol. 30, pp. 205–206, 1968 (Russian).
- J. N. Zahniser and C. H. Dietrich, “Phylogeny of the leafhopper subfamily Deltocephalinae (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae) based on molecular and morphological data with a revised family-group classification,” Systematic Entomology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 489–511, 2010.
- J. T. Vilbaste, “New species of cicadellids (Homoptera, Iassidae),” Uzbekistan Biological Journal, vol. 1, pp. 42–50, 1961 (Russian).
- A. F. Emeljanov, “Materials on taxonomy of Palaearctic leafhoppers (Auchenorrhyncha, Euscelinae),” Transactions of the Zoological Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences, vol. 30, pp. 156–184, 1962 (Russian).
- A. F. Emeljanov, “New Palaearctic leafhoppers of the subfamily Deltocephalinae (Homoptera, Cicadellidae),” Entomological Review, vol. 51, pp. 102–111, 1972 (Russian).
- G. N. Dubovskii and K. A. Sulaimanov, Auchenorrhyncha of the Karshi Steppe, Fan, Tashkent, Uzbek SSR, 1983, (Russian).
- P. O. Gushchin, Biology of Camelthorn (Alhagi), Lenin State Central Asian University, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 1955, (Russian).
- G. P. Yakovlev, “Notes on the taxonomy of the genus Alhagi Gagneb. (Fabaceae),” Botanical Journal, vol. 64, pp. 1794–1799, 1979 (Russian).
- C. S. Awmack and J. M. Lock, “The genus Alhagi (Leguminosae: Papilionoideae) in the Middle East,” Kew Bulletin, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 435–443, 2002.
- N. Pike, D. Richard, W. Foster, and L. Mahadevan, “How aphids lose their marbles,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 269, no. 1497, pp. 1211–1215, 2002.
- R. A. Rakitov, “Brochosomal coatings of the integument of leafhoppers (Hemiptera, Cicadellidae),” in Functional Surfaces in Biology, S. N. Gorb, Ed., pp. 113–137, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
- G. I. Shenbrot, “Spatial structure and niche patterns of a rodent community in the south Bukhara Desert (Middle Asia),” Ecography, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 347–357, 1992.
- R. I. Snodgrass, “The seventeen-year locust,” Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution, vol. 1919, pp. 381–409, 1921.
- A. Lucchi, “The egg-burster of the flatid planthopper Metcalfa pruinosa (Say) (Homoptera, Fulgoroidea),” Entomological Society of Washington, vol. 96, pp. 548–552, 1994.
- M. Arduin, G. W. Fernandes, and J. E. Kraus, “Morphogenesis of galls induced by Baccharopelma dracunculifoliae (Hemiptera: Psyllidae) on Baccharis dracunculifolia (Asteraceae) leaves,” Brazilian Journal of Biology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 559–571, 2005.
- R. A. Rakitov, “Powdering of egg nests with brochosomes and related sexual dimorphism in leafhoppers (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae),” Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 353–381, 2004.
- H. P. Velema, L. Hemerik, M. S. Hoddle, and R. F. Luck, “Brochosome influence on parasitisation efficiency of Homalodisca coagulata (Say) (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae) egg masses by Gonatocerus ashmeadi Girault (Hymenoptera: Mymaridae),” Ecological Entomology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 485–496, 2005.
- T. K. Wood, “Diversity in the new world Membracidae,” Annual Review of Entomology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 409–435, 1993.
- W. E. Miller, “Gall-inducing Lepidoptera,” in Biology, Ecology, and Evolution of Gall-Inducing Arthropods, A. Raman, C. W. Schaefer, and T. M. Withers, Eds., pp. 431–466, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2005.
- O. Bidzilya, “Gelechiidae (Lepidoptera: Gelechioidea),” in The Lepidoptera of the Brandberg Massif in Namibia, Part 2, W. Mey, Ed., vol. 4 of Esperiana Memoir, vol. 4, pp. 91–118, Delta Druck, Schwanfeld, Germany, 2007.
- I. M. Bayoun, G. P. Walker, and S. V. Triapitsyn, “Parasitization of beet leafhopper eggs, Circulifer tenellus, in California,” Journal of Applied Entomology, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 412–424, 2008.
- J. Skevington and S. A. Marshall, “First record of a big-headed fly, Eudorylas alternatus (Cresson) (Diptera: Pipunculidae), reared from the subfamily Cicadellinae (Homoptera: Cicadellidae), with an overview of pipunculid-host associations in the Nearctic region,” Canadian Entomologist, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 387–398, 1997.
- W. Jacobs and M. Renner, Biologie und Ökologie der Insekten. Ein Taschenlexikon, Gustav Fischer, Jena, Germany, 2nd edition, 1989.
- D. K. Suzuki, Y. Fukushi, and S. I. Akimoto, “Do aphid galls provide good nutrients for the aphids?: comparisons of amino acid concentrations in galls among Tetraneura species (Aphididae: Eriosomatinae),” Arthropod-Plant Interactions, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 241–247, 2009.
- E. M. Danzig and E. S. Sugonjaev, “Use of insect galls and other plant injuries as ecological niches by some desert arthropods,” Entomogical Review, vol. 48, pp. 116–124, 1969 (Russian).