- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 198746, 7 pages
Cognitive Aspects of Hyperactivity and Overactivity in Preadolescents with Tourette Syndrome
1University of Quebec in Montreal, Montreal, QC, H2Y 0A3, Canada
2Fernand-Seguin Research Centre, Louis-H. Lafontaine Hospital, 7331 Hochelaga Street, Montreal, QC, H1N 3V2, Canada
3Department of Psychoeducation and Psychology, University of Quebec in Outaouais, Gatineau, QC, J8Y 3GS, Canada
4Department of Psychiatry, University of Montréal, Montreal, QC, H3T 1J4, Canada
5Laboratoire de Psychophysiologie Cognitive et Sociale, Montreal, QC, Canada
Received 29 November 2012; Revised 18 January 2013; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Umberto Albert
Copyright © 2013 Anick Laverdure et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Psychiatric Association (2000), DSM-IV-TR. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Masson, Paris, France, 2003, Text Revised, French translation by J.-D. Guelfi et al.
- N. Hassan and A. E. Cavanna, “The prognosis of Tourette syndrome: implications for clinical practice,” Functional Neurology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2012.
- T. Knight, T. Steeves, L. Day, M. Lowerison, N. Jette, and T. Pringsheim, “Prevalence of tic disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 77–90, 2012.
- J. T. Kraft, S. Dalsgaard, C. Obel, P. H. Thomsen, T. B. Henriksen, and L. Scahill, “Prevalence and clinical correlates of tic disorders in a community sample of school-age children,” European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 5–13, 2012.
- D. Martino, A. E. Cavanna, M. M. Robertson, and M. Orth, “Prevalence and phenomenology of eye tics in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 259, no. 10, pp. 2137–2140, 2012.
- M. M. Robertson, “The Gilles de la Tourette syndrome: the current status,” Archives of Disease in Childhood Education and Practice, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 166–175, 2012.
- H. Hornsey, S. Banerjee, H. Zeitlin, and M. Robertson, “The prevalence of Tourette syndrome in 13-14-year-olds in mainstream schools,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1035–1039, 2001.
- B. Kadesjö and C. Gillbert, “Tourette’s disorder: epidemiology and comorbidity in primary school children,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 548–550, 2000.
- R. Kurlan, M. P. McDermott, C. Deeley et al., “Prevalence of tics in schoolchildren and association with placement in special education,” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1383–1388, 2001.
- A. Mason, S. Banerjee, V. Eapen, H. Zeitlin, and M. M. Robertson, “The prevalence of Tourette syndrome in a mainstream school population,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 292–296, 1998.
- H. S. Wang and M. F. Kuo, “Tourette's syndrome in Taiwan: an epidemiological study of tic disorders in an elementary school at Taipei County,” Brain and Development, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. S29–S31, 2003.
- R. D. Freeman, D. K. Fast, L. Burd, J. Kerbeshian, M. M. Robertson, and P. Sandor, “An international perspective on Tourette syndrome: selected findings from 3500 individuals in 22 countries,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 436–447, 2000.
- C. L. Budman, “The relationship of Tourette's syndrome with its psychiatric comorbidities: is there an overlap?” Psychiatric Annals, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 541–548, 2001.
- A. E. Cavanna and H. Rickards, “The psychopathological spectrum of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome,” Neurosciences and Biobehavioral Reviews, 2012.
- R. Kurlan, P. G. Como, B. Miller et al., “The behavioral spectrum of tic disorders: a community-based study,” Neurology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 414–420, 2002.
- L. Braswell and M. Bloomquist, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy With ADHD Children: Child, Family, and School Interventions, The Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- R. Rizzo, M. Gulisano, P. V. Cali, and P. Curatolo, “Long term clinical course of Tourette syndrome,” Brain Development, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 667–673, 2012.
- T. Spencer, J. Biederman, M. Harding et al., “Disentangling the overlap between Tourette's disorder and ADHD,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1037–1044, 1998.
- P. J. Hoekstra, M. P. Steenhuis, P. W. Troost, J. Korf, C. G. M. Kallenberg, and R. B. Minderaa, “Relative contribution of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and tic severity to social and behavioral problems in tic disorders,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 272–279, 2004.
- K. P. O'Connor, M. Brault, S. Robillard, J. Loiselle, F. Borgeat, and E. Stip, “Evaluation of a cognitive-behavioural program for the management of chronic tic and habit disorders,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 667–681, 2001.
- K. O'Connor, D. Julien, M. Lavoie, F. Aardema, and A. Laverdure, “The Style of Planning Questionnaire (STOP) in OCD spectrum disorders,” In press.
- K. O'Connor, A. Laverdure, S. Roberts, G. Goulet, M. E. St-Pierre-Delorme, and G. Beaudry, “Cognitive and metacognitive factors in tic disorders,” in 6th World Congress of Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (WCBCT '10), Boston, Mass, USA, June 2010.
- A. Laverdure, K. O’Connor, and M. Lavoie, “The cognitive aspects of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, the role of perfection?” in Poster presented at 6thWorld Congress of Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (WCBCT '10), Boston, Mass, USA, June 2010.
- K. P. O’Connor, Cognitive-Behavioral Management of Tic Disorders, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- K. P. O'Connor and A. Laverdure, “Cognition and meta-cognition in Tourette’s and tic disorders,” in Oral presentation given at the World Congress of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Barcelona, Spain, July 2007.
- K. O'Connor, “A cognitive-behavioral/psychophysiological model of tic disorders,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1113–1142, 2002.
- K. G. Rice and K. J. Preusser, “The adaptive/maladaptive perfectionism scale,” Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 210–222, 2002.
- C. K. Conners, Conners’s Rating Scales Manual, Multi-Health Systems, North Tonawanda, NY, USA, 1989.
- T. M. Achenbach and L. A. Rescorla, Manual for ASEBA School-Age Forms & Profiles, University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, & Families, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2001.
- K. P. O'Connor, M. Lavoie, J. Dohan, G. Paradis, and F. Aardema, “The functional role of behavioral activity and muscle contraction in tic onset: towards a cognitive-psychophysiology of tic disorder CBT for tic disorders. In CBT for Tic Disorders: processes, Principles and Practice,” in Symposium presented at the 40th Annual Convention of ABCT, Chicago, Ill, USA, November 2006.
- D. F. Harcherik, J. F. Leckman, J. Detlor, and D. J. Cohen, “A new instrument for clinical studies of Tourette's syndrome,” Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 153–160, 1984.
- J. F. Leckman, M. A. Riddle, M. T. Hardin et al., “The yale global tic severity scale: initial testing of a clinician-rated scale of tic severity,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 566–573, 1989.
- R. J. Stephens, C. Bassel, and P. Sandor, “Olanzapine in the treatment of aggression and tics in children with Tourette's syndrome—a pilot study,” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 255–266, 2004.
- R. O. Frost, P. Marten, C. Lahart, and R. Rosenblate, “The dimensions of perfectionism,” Cognitive Therapy and Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 449–468, 1990.
- K. G. Rice, A. E. Kubal, and K. J. Preusser, “Perfectionism and children's self-concept: further validation of the adaptive/maladaptive perfectionism scale,” Psychology in the Schools, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 279–290, 2004.
- J. Cohen, Ed., Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1988.
- A. C. Swann, D. M. Dougherty, P. J. Pazzaglia, M. Pham, and F. G. Moeller, “Impulsivity: a link between bipolar disorder and substance abuse,” Bipolar Disorders, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 204–212, 2004.
- B. W. Roberts, K. E. Walton, and W. Viechtbauer, “Patterns of mean-level change in personality traits across the life course: a meta-analysis of longitudinal studies,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 1–25, 2006.
- T. M. Achenbach, C. Edelbrock, and C. T. Howell, “Empirically based assessment of the behavioral/emotional problems of 2- and 3- year-old children,” Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 629–650, 1987.
- T. M. Achenbach, S. H. McConaughy, and C. T. Howell, “Child/adolescent behavioral and emotional problems: implications of cross-informant correlations for situational specificity,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 213–232, 1987.
- J. E. Richters, “Depressed mothers as informants about their children: a critical review of the evidence for distortion,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 485–499, 1992.