- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 274121, 5 pages
Posttraumatic Symptoms and Posttraumatic Growth of Israeli Firefighters, at One Month following the Carmel Fire Disaster
1The Community Stress Prevention Centre, 11016 Kiryat Shmona, Israel
2Department of Psychology, Tel Hai Academic College, 12210 Kiryat Shmona, Israel
Received 8 August 2012; Revised 12 November 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editor: C. Robert Cloninger
Copyright © 2013 Dmitry Leykin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Benedek, C. Fullerton, and R. J. Ursano, “First responders: mental health consequences of natural and human-made disasters for public health and public safety workers,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 28, pp. 55–68, 2007.
- Y. Neria, A. Nandi, and S. Galea, “Post-traumatic stress disorder following disasters: a systematic review,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 467–480, 2008.
- A. C. McFarlane, “The aetiology of post-traumatic morbidity: predisposing, precipitating and perpetuating factors,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 221–228, 1989.
- M. Horowitz, N. Wilner, and W. Alvarez, “Impact of event scale: a measure of subjective stress,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 209–218, 1979.
- A. C. McFarlane and P. Papay, “Multiple diagnosis in posttraumatic stress disorder in the victims of a natural disaster,” Journal Nervous Mental Disorders, vol. 180, no. 8, pp. 498–504, 1992.
- R. A. Bryant and A. G. Harvey, “Posttraumatic stress reactions in volunteer firefighters,” Journal of Traumatic Stress, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 1996.
- C. Psarros, C. G. Theleritis, S. Martinaki, and I. D. Bergiannaki, “Traumatic reactions in firefighters after wildfires in Greece,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9609, p. 301, 2008.
- A. Berninger, M. P. Webber, J. K. Niles et al., “Longitudinal study of probable post-traumatic stress disorder in firefighters exposed to the World Trade Center disaster,” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1177–1185, 2010.
- M. Corrigan, R. McWilliams, K. J. Kelly et al., “A computerized, self-administered questionnaire to evaluate posttraumatic stress among firefighters after the World Trade Center collapse,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, pp. S702–S709, 2009.
- C. S. Fullerton, R. J. Ursano, and L. Wang, “Acute stress disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, and depression in disaster of rescue workers,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 161, no. 8, pp. 1370–1376, 2004.
- C. S. North, L. Tivis, J. C. McMillen et al., “Psychiatric disorders in rescue workers after the Oklahoma City bombing,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 857–859, 2002.
- R. G. Tedeschi and L. G. Calhoun, “The posttraumatic growth inventory: measuring the positive legacy of trauma,” Journal of Traumatic Stress, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 455–471, 1996.
- A. Linley and S. Joseph, “Posttraumatic growth,” in The Encyclopedia of Positive Psychology, S. J. Lopez, Ed., Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- L. Gray, Emergency service providers' organizational climate and its role in the development of traumatic stress and posttraumatic growth [Doctoral Dissertation], 2008, Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database (AAT NR47114).
- J. Melerski, Trauma, coping, and functioning in a sample of rescue workers 34 to 39 months after September 11th [Doctoral Dissertation], 2008, Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database (AAT 3283333).
- J. E. Shakespeare-Finch, S. G. Smith, K. M. Gow, G. Embelton, and L. Baird, “The prevalence of post-traumatic growth in emergency ambulance personnel,” Traumatology, vol. 9, pp. 58–71, 2003.
- B. A. Chopko, “Posttraumatic distress and growth: an empirical study of police officers,” American Journal of Psychotherapy, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 55–72, 2010.
- S. Dekel, T. Ein-Dor, and Z. Solomon, “Posttraumatic growth and posttraumatic distress: a longitudinal study,” Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 94–101, 2012.
- R. Dekel and O. Nuttman-Shwartz, “Posttraumatic stress and growth: the contribution of cognitive appraisal and sense of belonging to the country,” Health and Social Work, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 87–96, 2009.
- B. Kleim and A. Ehlers, “Evidence for a curvilinear relationship between posttraumatic growth and posttrauma depression and PTSD in assault survivors,” Journal of Traumatic Stress, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2009.
- S. Dekel, C. Mandi, and Z. Solomon, “Shared and unique predictors of post-traumatic growth and distress,” Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 241–252, 2011.
- E. B. Foa, L. Cashman, L. Jaycox, and K. Perry, “The validation of a self-report measure of posttraumatic stress disorder: the posttraumatic diagnostic scale,” Psychological Assessment, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 445–451, 1997.
- D. S. Weiss and C. R. Marmar, “The impact of event scale—revised,” in Assessing Psychological Trauma and PTSD, J. P. Wilson and T. M. Keane, Eds., pp. 399–411, The Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- M. Creamer, R. Bell, and S. Failla, “Psychometric properties of the impact of event scale—revised,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1489–1496, 2003.
- E. B. Blanchard, J. Jones-Alexander, T. C. Buckley, and C. A. Forneris, “Psychometric properties of the PTSD checklist (PCL),” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 669–673, 1996.
- N. Asukai, H. Kato, N. Kawamura et al., “Reliability and validity of the Japanese-language version of the impact of event scale-revised (IES-R-J): four studies of different traumatic events,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 190, no. 3, pp. 175–182, 2002.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Text Revision, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- E. M. Koucky, T. E. Galovski, and R. D. V. Nixon, “Acute stress disorder: conceptual issues and treatment outcomes,” Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, vol. 19, pp. 437–450, 2012.
- A. Cann, L. G. Calhoun, R. G. Tedeschi et al., “A short form of the posttraumatic growth inventory,” Anxiety, Stress and Coping, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2010.
- A. C. McFarlane, “The longitudinal course of posttraumatic morbidity. The range of outcomes and their predictors,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 1988.
- M. A. Perrin, L. DiGande, K. Wheeler, L. Thorpe, M. Farfel, and R. Brackbill, “Differences in PTSD prevalence and associated risk factors among World Trade Center disaster rescue and recovery workers,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 164, no. 9, pp. 1385–1394, 2007.
- Y. J. Guo, C. H. Chen, M. L. Lu, H. K. L. Tan, H. W. Lee, and T. N. Wang, “Posttraumatic stress disorder among professional and non-professional rescuers involved in an earthquake in Taiwan,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 127, no. 1-2, pp. 35–41, 2004.
- R. A. Bryant and A. G. Harvey, “Posttraumatic stress in volunteer firefighters. Predictors of distress,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 267–271, 1995.
- Z. Solomon and R. Dekel, “Posttraumatic stress disorder and posttraumatic growth among Israeli ex-POWs,” Journal of Traumatic Stress, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 303–312, 2007.
- R. A. Bryant, “Early predictors of posttraumatic stress disorder,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 789–795, 2003.
- D. Leykin, M. Lahad, and N. Bonneh, “Growth and distress among firefighters following the carmel fire disaster,” in Proceedings of the Galile Biomedicine Conference, Tel Hai College, October 2011.