- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 319429, 11 pages
Dimensions of Attitudes towards the Mentally Ill in the General Population Stability and Change over Time at Urban and Rural Sites
1Division of Mental Health and Addiction, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Oslo, 0316 Oslo, Norway
2Division of Research, North Coast Psychiatry, 1482 Nittedal, Norway
Received 29 November 2012; Revised 8 January 2013; Accepted 25 January 2013
Academic Editor: José Francisco Navarro
Copyright © 2013 Tom Sørensen and Andreas Sørensen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Rabkin, “Public attitudes toward mental illness: a review of the literature,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, no. 10, pp. 9–33, 1974.
- C. C. Schwartz, J. K. Myers, and B. M. Astrachan, “Psychiatric labeling and the rehabilitation of the mental patient. Implications of research findings for mental health policy,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 329–334, 1974.
- W. R. Growe, “Labelling theory’s explanation of mental illness: an update of recent evidence,” Deviant Behavior, vol. 3, pp. 307–327, 1982.
- S. M. Taylor and M. J. Dear, “Scaling community attitudes toward the mentally ill,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 225–240, 1981.
- T. Sørensen and I. Sandanger, “The strategic network position: a feasible model for implementing a decentralized psychiatry,” Health Promotion, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 297–304, 1989.
- K. W. Sørgaard, T. Sørensen, and O. Herder, Lokal erfaring—sentral kunnskap. Forskning og modellutvikling i psykisk helsevern i Nordland, Kommuneforlaget, Oslo, Norway, 1991.
- T. Sørensen, “The intricacy of the ordinary,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 164, supplement 23, pp. 108–114, 1994.
- T. Sørensen, N. Boe, G. Ingebrigtsen, and I. Sandanger, “Individual-local community and mental health. Towards a comprehensive community psychiatric model for prevention of mental problems and promotion of mental health,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, Supplement, vol. 50, supplement 37, pp. 11–19, 1996.
- I. Sandanger, Occurrence of psychiatric disorders—an epidemiological study, conceptual, methodological, and empirical issues [dissertation], Institute of General Practice, and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, 1999.
- K. W. Sørgaard, Studies in psychiatric help-seeking [dissertation], Institute of Psychiatry, University of Oslo, and Nordland Psychiatric Hospital, 1999.
- T. Sørensen, A. Mastekaasa, R. Kleiner, I. Sandanger, N. Bøe, and O. M. Klepp, “Local community mobilization and mental health promotion,” International Journal of Mental Health Promotion, vol. 6, pp. 5–16, 2004.
- T. Sørensen, O. Klungsøyr, R. Kleiner, and O. M. Klepp, “Social support and sense of coherence: independent, shared and interaction relationships with life stress and mental health,” International Journal of Mental Health Promotion, vol. 13, pp. 27–42, 2011.
- O. Klungsøyr, J. F. Nygård, T. Sørensen, and I. Sandanger, “Cigarette smoking and incidence of first depressive episode: an 11-year, population-based follow-up study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 163, pp. 421–432, 2006.
- D. L. Reas, J. F. Nygård, E. Svensson, T. Sørensen, and I. Sandanger, “Changes in body mass index by age, gender, and socio-economic status among a cohort of Norwegian men and women (1990–2001),” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article 269, 2007.
- I. Sandanger, J. F. Nygård, T. Sørensen, and O. S. Dalgard, “Return of depressed men: changes in distribution of depression and symptom cases in Norway between 1990 and 2001,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 100, no. 1—3, pp. 153–162, 2007.
- O. S. Dalgard, T. Sørensen, I. Sandanger, J. F. Nygård, E. Svensson, and D. L. Reas, “Job demands, job control, and mental health in an 11-year follow-up study: normal and reversed relationships,” Work and Stress, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 284–296, 2009.
- D. L. Reas, J. F. Nygård, and T. Sørensen, “Do quitters have anything to lose? Changes in body mass index for daily, never, and former smokers over an 11-year period (1990–2001),” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 774–777, 2009.
- M. G. Madianos, D. Madianou, J. Vlachonikolis, and C. N. Stefanis, “Attitudes towards mental illness in the Athens area: implications for community mental health intervention,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 1987.
- N. Bøe, I. Ingebrigtsen, and T. Sørensen, Sluttrapport. “Liv Laga i Lofoten”, Liv Laga, Lofotrådet, Vestvågøy, Norway, 1995.
- T. Sørensen, Mental helse i Nordkyst, Fylkeshelsesjefen, Nordland Fylkeskommune, Bodø, Norway, 1987.
- A. P. Sørensen, T. Sørensen, and B. Øygard, Lokalsamfunn og mental helse i Valdres. Rapport 1. Bakgrunn og regionsperspektiv, Valdres Viser Veg, Sør-Aurdal, Norway, 2013.
- E. Svensson, J. F. Nygård, T. Sørensen, and I. Sandanger, “Changes in formal help seeking for psychological distress: the OsLof study,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 260–266, 2009.
- A. Mastekaasa and T. Sørensen, “Dimensions of public attitudes toward the severely mentally ill in the community,” in Psychiatric Disorders in the Social Domain, T. Sørensen, P. Abrahamsen, and S. Torgersen, Eds., Norwegian University Press, Oslo, Norway, 1991.
- T. Sørensen and A. Mastekaasa, “Avstand, krav og omsorg. Dimensjoner og variasjoner i holdninger til psykiatriske pasienter i et lokalsykehusområde in Nordland. I,” in Lokal erfaring—sentral kunnskap. Forskning og modellutvikling i psykisk helsevern i Nordland, K. W. Sørgaard, T. Sørensen, and O. Herder, Eds., Kommuneforlaget, Oslo, Norway, 1991.
- G. W. Cheung and R. B. Rensvold, “Testing factorial invariance across groups: a reconceptualization and proposed new method,” Journal of Management, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 1999.
- R. B. Kline, Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling, Guilford, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- K. Jöreskog and D. Sörbom, Prelis 2: User’s Reference Guide, Scientific Software International, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1999.
- J. Cohen and E. L. Struening, “Opinions about mental illness in the personnel of two large mental hospitals,” Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 349–360, 1962.
- E. L. Struening and J. Cohen, “Factorial invariance and other psychometric characteristics of 5 opinions about mental illness,” Educational and Psychological Measurements, vol. 23, pp. 289–298, 1963.
- I. F. Brockington, P. Hall, J. Levings, and C. Murphy, “The community's tolerance of the mentally ill,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 162, pp. 93–99, 1993.
- P. W. Corrigan, A. B. Edwards, A. Green, S. L. Diwan, and D. L. Penn, “Prejudice, social distance, and familiarity with mental illness,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 219–225, 2001.
- M. C. Angermeyer, S. Heiß, S. Kirschenhofer et al., “The German version of the Community-Attitudes-toward-the-Mentally-III (CAMI) inventory,” Psychiatrische Praxis, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 202–206, 2003.
- M. C. Angermeyer, H. Matschinger, and P. W. Corrigan, “Familiarity with mental illness and social distance from people with schizophrenia and major depression: testing a model using data from a representative population survey,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 69, no. 2-3, pp. 175–182, 2004.
- M. Rahav, E. L. Struening, and H. Andrews, “Opinions on mental illness in Israel,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1151–1158, 1984.
- M. G. Madianos, M. Economou, M. Hatjiandreou, A. Papageorgiou, and E. Rogakou, “Changes in public attitudes towards mental illness in the Athens area (1979/1980–1994),” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 1999.
- G. Wolff, S. Pathare, T. Craig, and J. Leff, “Community attitudes to mental illness,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 168, pp. 183–190, 1996.
- G. Wolff, S. Pathare, T. Craig, and J. Leff, “Community knowledge of mental illness and reaction to mentally ill people,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 168, pp. 191–198, 1996.
- S. T. Barney, G. C. Corser, and L. H. White, “Service-learning with the mentally ill: softening the stigma,” Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, vol. 16, pp. 66–77, 2010.
- C. Papadopoulos, G. Leavey, and C. Vincent, “Factors influencing stigma. A comparison of Greek-Cypriot and English attitudes towards mental illness in north London,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 430–434, 2002.
- G. Tanaka, H. Inadomi, Y. Kikuchi, and Y. Ohta, “Evaluating stigma against mental disorder and related factors,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 558–566, 2004.
- T. Hogberg, A. Magnusson, K. Lutzen, and B. Ewalds-Kvist, “Swedish attitudes towards persons with mental illness,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 66, pp. 86–96, 2012.
- J. C. Phelan, B. G. Link, A. Stueve, and A. P. Bernice, “Public conceptions of mental illness in 1950 and 1996: what is mental illness and is it to be feared?” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 188–207, 2000.
- P. W. Corrigan and D. L. Penn, “Lessons from social psychology on discrediting psychiatric stigma,” American Psychologist, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 765–776, 1999.
- B. G. Link, L. H. Yang, J. C. Phelan, and P. Y. Collins, “Measuring mental illness stigma,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 511–541, 2004.
- M. Madianos, M. Economou, L. E. Peppou, G. Kallergis, E. Rogakou, and G. Alevizopoulos, “Measuring public attitudes t severe mental illness in Greece: development of a new scale,” The European Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 26, pp. 55–67, 2012.