- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
This article has been retracted as it was found to contain substantial flaws in its scientific methodology.
Rehabilitation Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 479046, 9 pages
Therapeutic Management of the Hallux Rigidus
1Department of Physiotherapy, Institute for Physically Handicapped (Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment), Pt. DDUIPH, New Delhi 110002, India
2Department of Physiotherapy, NIOH, Kolkata 700090, India
3NIOH, Bon Hooghly, Kolkata 700090, India
Received 15 April 2012; Revised 24 July 2012; Accepted 25 July 2012
Academic Editor: Jari P. A. Arokoski
Copyright © 2012 Anoop Aggarwal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Shereff and J. F. Baumhauer, “Hallux rigidus and osteoarthrosis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 898–908, 1998.
- A. Harisboure, P. Joveniaux, K. Madi, and E. Dehoux, “The Valenti technique in the treatment of hallux rigidus,” Orthopaedics and Traumatology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 202–209, 2009.
- M. J. Mathew, K. Stanley, V. P. Stephen, and F. B. Willis, “dynamic splinting for postoperative hallux limitus-a randomized, controlled trial,” Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 285–288, 2011.
- J. A. Shrader and K. L. Siegel, “Nonoperative management of functional hallux limitus in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 831–843, 2003.
- J. W. Brantingham, M. N. Chang, D. F. Gendreau, and J. L. Price, “The effect of chiropractic adjusting, exercises and modalities on a 32-year-old professional male golfer with hallux rigidus,” Clinical Chiropractic, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 91–96, 2007.
- T. O. Clanton and J. J. Ford, “Turf toe injury,” Clinical Sports Medicine, vol. 23, pp. 477–484, 1999.
- J. Greisberg, L. Sperber, and D. E. Prince, “First ray mobility increase in patients with metatarsalgia,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2012.
- J. H. Hicks, “The mechanics of the foot. II. The plantar aponeurosis and the arch,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 1954.
- W. Beertema, W. F. Draijer, J. J. van Os, and P. Pilot, “A retrospective analysis of surgical treatment in patients with symptomatic hallux rigidus: long-term follow-up,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 244–251, 2006.
- J. E. Lichniak, “Hallux limitus in the athlete,” Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 407–426, 1997.
- J. Shamus, E. Shamus, R. N. Gugel, B. S. Brucker, and C. Skaruppa, “The effect of sesamoid mobilization, flexor hallucis strengthening, and gait training on reducing pain and restoring function in individuals with hallux limitus: a clinical trial,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 368–376, 2004.
- R. A. Mann and T. O. Clanton, “Ha llux rigid us: treatment by cheilectomy,” Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 70, pp. 400–406, 1988.
- G. V. Zammit, H. B. Menz, S. E. Munteanu, and K. B. Landorf, “Plantar pressure distribution in older people with osteoarthritis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint (Hallux limitus/rigidus),” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1665–1669, 2008.
- J. J. Drago, L. Oloff, and A. M. Jacobs, “A comprehensive review of hallux limitus,” Journal of Foot Surgery, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 213–220, 1984.
- M.O. Lawrence and G.J. Patel, “A retrospective analysis of joint salvage procedures for grades III and IV hallux rigidus,” The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 230–236, 2008.
- D. T. Taylor, R. A. Sage, and M. S. Pinzur, “Arthrodesis of the first metatarso-phalangeal joint,” The American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 33, pp. 285–288.
- M. J. Coughlin and P. S. Shurnas, “Hallux rigidus,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 119–130, 2004.
- L. S. Keiserman, V. J. Sammarco, and G. J. Sammarco, “Surgical treatment of the hallux rigidus,” Foot and Ankle Clinics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 75–96, 2005.
- R. W. Smith, S. D. Katchis, and L. C. Ayson, “Outcomes in hallux rigidus patients treated nonoperatively: a long-term follow-up study,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 906–913, 2000.
- T. C. Michaud, Abnormal Motion during the Gait Cycle , Foot Orthotics and other forms of Conservative Foot Care, Williams and Witkins, 1st edition, 1993.
- J. W. Brantingham and T. G. Wood, “Hallux rigidus,” Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2002.
- D. B. Manral, “Hallux rigidus: a case report of successful chiropractic management and review of the literature,” Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2004.
- J. F. Grady, T. M. Axe, E. J. Zager, and L. A. Sheldon, “A retrospective analysis of 772 patients with hallux limitus,” Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 102–108, 2002.
- M. H. James, G. C. Hunt, F. F. Lerche, P. Voi, and J. W. Smith, “An external shoe modification for reducing metatarsal head pressure in people with metatarsalgia,” Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2010.
- J. S. Jennifer and J. H. Christopher, Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine, Levels of Evidence, and Systematic Reviews. Evidence-Based Otolaryngology, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- M. Van-Tulder, D. Cherkin, and B. Berman, “Acupuncture for low back pain (CochraneReview), The Cochrane Library,” no. 2, Oxford Update Software, 2001.
- S. A. Reid and D. A. Rivett, “Manual therapy treatment of cervicogenic dizziness: a systematic review,” Manual Therapy, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 4–13, 2005.
- K. Mcpherson and S. Lord, “Clinician guides to research part 2,” New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 20–28, 2000.
- L. M. Talarico, G. R. Vito, L. Goldstein, and A. D. Perler, “Management of hallux limitus with distraction of the first metatarsophalangeal joint,” Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2005.
- M. J. Shereff, F. J. Bejjani, and F. J. Kummer, “Kinematics of the first metatarsophalangeal joint,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 392–398, 1986.
- R. L. Aper, C. L. Saltzman, and T. D. Brown, “The effect of hallux sesamoid resection on the effective moment of the flexor hallucis brevis,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 462–470, 1994.