- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Radiology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 197364, 9 pages
Intraoperative Image Guidance in Neurosurgery: Development, Current Indications, and Future Trends
1Department of Neurosurgery, German Federal Armed Forces Hospital, 89081 Ulm, Germany
2Department of Radiology, German Federal Armed Forces Central Hospital, 56072 Koblenz, Germany
Received 5 January 2012; Accepted 20 February 2012
Academic Editor: Yusuf Izci
Copyright © 2012 Chris Schulz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Spetzger, G. Laborde, and J. M. Gilsbach, “Frameless neuronavigation in modern neurosurgery,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 163–166, 1995.
- U. Sure, O. Alberti, M. Petermeyer, R. Becker, and H. Bertalanffy, “Advanced image-guided skull base surgery,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 563–572, 2000.
- W. Tirakotai, T. Riegel, U. Sure, O. Bozinov, D. Hellwig, and H. Bertalanffy, “Clinical application of neuro-navigation in a series of single Burr-Hole procedures,” Zentralblatt fur Neurochirurgie, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 57–64, 2004.
- C. Schulz, U. Woerner, and P. Luelsdorf, “Image-guided neurosurgery for secondary operative removal of projectiles after missile injury of the brain,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 364–368, 2008.
- T. Schmidt, R. König, M. Hlavac, G. Antoniadis, and C. R. Wirtz, “Lows and highs: 15 years of development in intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 109, supplement, pp. 17–20, 2011.
- J. Berman, “Diffusion MR tractography as a tool for surgical planning,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 205–214, 2009.
- A. Filler, “Magnetic resonance neurography and diffusion tensor imaging: origins, history, and clinical impact of the first 50 000 cases with an assessment of efficacy and utility in a prospective 5000-patient study group,” Neurosurgery, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. A29–A43, 2009.
- C. Stippich, “Presurgical functional magnetic resonance imaging,” Radiologe, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 110–122, 2010.
- J. Oertel, E. von Buttlar, H. W. Schroeder, and M. R. Gaab, “Prognosis of gliomas in the 1970s and today,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 18, no. 4, article e12, 2005.
- M. A. Proescholdt, C. Macher, C. Woertgen, and A. Brawanski, “Level of evidence in the literature concerning brain tumor resection,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 95–98, 2005.
- E. R. Laws, M. E. Shaffrey, A. Morris, and F. A. Anderson, “Surgical management of intracranial gliomas—does radical resection improve outcome?” Acta Neurochirurgica, no. 85, supplement, pp. 47–53, 2003.
- W. Stummer, U. Pichlmeier, T. Meinel, O. D. Wiestler, F. Zanella, and H. J. Reulen, “Fluorescence-guided surgery with 5-aminolevulinic acid for resection of malignant glioma: a randomised controlled multicentre phase III trial,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 392–401, 2006.
- A. Rezvan, D. Christine, H. Christian et al., “Long-term outcome and survival of surgically treated supratentorial low-grade glioma in adult patients,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 151, no. 11, pp. 1359–1365, 2009.
- M. J. McGirt, K. L. Chaichana, M. Gathinji et al., “Independent association of extent of resection with survival in patients with malignant brain astrocytoma: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 156–162, 2009.
- A. Tsitlakidis, N. Foroglou, C. A. Venetis, I. Patsalas, A. Hatzisotiriou, and P. Selviaridis, “Biopsy versus resection in the management of malignant gliomas: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1020–1032, 2010.
- D. Kuhnt, M. H. Bauer, A. Becker, et al., “Intraoperative visualization of fiber tracking based reconstruction of language pathways in glioma surgery,” Neurosurgery, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 911–920, 2012.
- D. Kuhnt, A. Becker, O. Ganslandt, M. Bauer, M. Buchfelder, and C. Nimsky, “Correlation of the extent of tumor volume resection and patient survival in surgery of glioblastoma multiforme with high-field intraoperative MRI guidance,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 1339–1348, 2011.
- D. Kuhnt, O. Ganslandt, S.-M. Schlaffer, M. Buchfelder, and C. Nimsky, “Quantification of glioma removal by intraoperative high-field magnetic resonance imaging: an update,” Neurosurgery, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 852–862, 2011.
- P. W. A. Willems, M. J. B. Taphoorn, H. Burger, J. W. B. Van Der Sprenkel, and C. A. F. Tulleken, “Effectiveness of neuronavigation in resecting solitary intracerebral contrast-enhancing tumors: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 360–368, 2006.
- C. R. Wirtz, F. K. Albert, M. Schwaderer et al., “The benefit of neuronavigation for neurosurgery analyzed by its impact on glioblastoma surgery,” Neurological Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 354–360, 2000.
- J. P. Schneider, C. Trantakis, M. Rubach et al., “Intraoperative MRI to guide the resection of primary supratentorial glioblastoma multiforme—a quantitative radiological analysis,” Neuroradiology, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 489–500, 2005.
- C. Senft, V. Seifert, E. Hermann, K. Franz, and T. Gasser, “Usefulness of intraoperative ultra low-field magnetic resonance imaging in glioma surgery,” Neurosurgery, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 257–266, 2008.
- Y. Muragaki, H. Iseki, T. Maruyama et al., “Usefulness of intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging for glioma surgery,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 98, supplement, pp. 67–75, 2006.
- C. Nimsky, O. Ganslandt, and R. Fahlbusch, “Implementation of fiber tract navigation,” Neurosurgery, vol. 58, no. 4, supplement 2, pp. S-292–S-303, 2006.
- C. Nimsky, O. Ganslandt, D. Merhof, A. G. Sorensen, and R. Fahlbusch, “Intraoperative visualization of the pyramidal tract by diffusion-tensor-imaging-based fiber tracking,” NeuroImage, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1219–1229, 2006.
- C. Nimsky, O. Ganslandt, M. Buchfelder, and R. Fahlbusch, “Intraoperative visualization for resection of gliomas: the role of functional neuronavigation and intraoperative 1.5 T MRI,” Neurological Research, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 482–487, 2006.
- C. Senft, A. Bink, M. Heckelmann, T. Gasser, and V. Seifert, “Glioma extent of resection and ultra-low-field iMRI: interim analysis of a prospective randomized trial,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 109, supplement, pp. 49–53, 2011.
- C. Senft, A. Bink, K. Franz, H. Vatter, T. Gasser, and V. Seifert, “Intraoperative MRI guidance and extent of resection in glioma surgery: a randomised, controlled trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 997–1003, 2011.
- C. Trantakis, D. Winkler, D. Lindner et al., “Clinical results in MR-guided therapy for malignant gliomas,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 85, supplement, pp. 65–71, 2003.
- C. Nimsky, A. Fujita, O. Ganslandt, B. Von Keller, and R. Fahlbusch, “Volumetric assessment of glioma removal by intraoperative high-field magnetic resonance imaging,” Neurosurgery, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 358–370, 2004.
- M. Kurimoto, N. Hayashi, H. Kamiyama et al., “Impact of neuronavigation and image-guided extensive resection for adult patients with supratentorial malignant astrocytomas: a single-institution retrospective study,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 278–283, 2004.
- H. Hirschberg, E. Samset, P. K. Hol, T. Tillung, and K. Lote, “Impact of intraoperative MRI on the surgical results for high-grade gliomas,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 2005.
- E. B. Claus, A. Horlacher, L. Hsu et al., “Survival rates in patients with low-grade glioma after intraoperative magnetic resonance image guidance,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1227–1233, 2005.
- E. G. Shaw, B. Berkey, S. W. Coons et al., “Recurrence following neurosurgeon-determined gross-total resection of adult supratentorial low-grade glioma: results of a prospective clinical trial—clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 835–841, 2008.
- C. Senft, K. Franz, C. T. Ulrich et al., “Low field intraoperative MRI-guided surgery of gliomas: a single center experience,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 237–243, 2010.
- H. M. Mehdorn, F. Schwartz, S. Dawirs, J. Hedderich, L. Dörner, and A. Nabavi, “High-field iMRI in glioblastoma surgery: improvement of resection radicality and survival for the patient?” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 109, supplement, pp. 103–106, 2011.
- J. S. Wu, L. F. Zhou, W. J. Tang, et al., “Clinical evaluation and follow-up outcome of diffusion tensor imaging-based functional neuronavigation: a prospective, controlled study in patients with gliomas involving pyramidal tracts,” Neurosurgery, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 935–948, 2007.
- T. Reithmeier, M. Krammer, H. Gumprecht, W. Gerstner, and C. B. Lumenta, “Neuronavigation combined with electrophysiological monitoring for surgery of lesions in eloquent brain areas in 42 cases: a retrospective comparison of the neurological outcome and the quality of resection with a control group with similar lesions,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 65–71, 2003.
- P. L. Kubben, K. J. ter Meulen, O. E. M. G. Schijns, M. P. ter Laak-Poort, J. J. van Overbeeke, and H. van Santbrink, “Intraoperative MRI-guided resection of glioblastoma multiforme: a systematic review,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1062–1070, 2011.
- V. Rohde, P. Spangenberg, L. Mayfrank, M. Reinges, J. M. Gilsbach, and V. A. Coenen, “Advanced neuronavigation in skull base tumors and vascular lesions,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2005.
- U. W. Thomale, J. F. Stover, and A. W. Unterberg, “The use of neuronavigation in transnasal transsphenoidal pituitary surgery,” Zentralblatt fur Neurochirurgie, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 126–132, 2005.
- P. A. Winkler, C. Vollmar, K. G. Krishnan, T. Pfluger, H. Brückmann, and S. Noachtar, “Usefulness of 3-D reconstructed images of the human cerebral cortex for localization of subdural electrodes in epilepsy surgery,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 169–178, 2000.
- A. D. Mehta, D. Labar, A. Dean et al., “Frameless stereotactic placement of depth electrodes in epilepsy surgery,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 1040–1045, 2005.
- A. Taghva, “An automated navigation system for deep brain stimulator placement using hidden Markov models,” Neurosurgery, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 108–117, 2010.
- J. Voges and J. K. Krauss, “Neurological and technical aspects of deep brain stimulation,” Nervenarzt, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 702–710, 2010.
- Y. Zhao, X. Chen, F. Wang et al., “Integration of diffusion tensor-based arcuate fasciculus fibre navigation and intraoperative MRI into glioma surgery,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 255–261, 2012.
- S. Gulati, E. M. Berntsen, O. Solheim et al., “Surgical resection of high-grade gliomas in eloquent regions guided by blood oxygenation level dependent functional magnetic resonance imaging, diffusion tensor tractography, and intraoperative navigated 3D ultrasound,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2009.
- N. Mikuni, T. Okada, R. Enatsu et al., “Clinical impact of integrated functional neuronavigation and subcortical electrical stimulation to preserve motor function during resection of brain tumors,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 593–598, 2007.
- I. A. Rasmussen Jr., F. Lindseth, O. M. Rygh et al., “Functional neuronavigation combined with intra-operative 3D ultrasound: initial experiences during surgical resections close to eloquent brain areas and future directions in automatic brain shift compensation of preoperative data,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 365–378, 2007.
- N. Mikuni and S. Miyamoto, “Surgical treatment for glioma: extent of resection applying functional neurosurgery,” Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 720–726, 2010.
- N. Sanai and M. S. Berger, “Intraoperative stimulation techniques for functional pathway preservation and glioma resection,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. E1.1–E1.9, 2010.
- V. Seifert, “Intraoperative MRI in neurosurgery: technical overkill or the future of brain surgery?” Neurology India, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 329–332, 2003.
- P. Ferroli, G. Tringali, F. Acerbi, D. Aquino, A. Franzini, and G. Broggi, “Brain surgery in a stereoscopic virtual reality environment: a single Institution's experience with 100 cases,” Neurosurgery, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 2010.
- A. T. Stadie, R. A. Kockro, L. Serra et al., “Neurosurgical craniotomy localization using a virtual reality planning system versus intraoperative image-guided navigation,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 565–572, 2011.
- U. M. Mauer, C. Schulz, R. Rothe, and U. Kunz, “German military neurosurgery at home and abroad,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 28, no. 5, article E14, pp. 1–5, 2010.
- M. S. Eljamel, “Robotic neurological surgery applications: accuracy and consistency or pure fantasy?” Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 88–93, 2009.
- H. R. Malone, O. N. Syed, M. S. Downes, A. L. D'ambrosio, D. O. Quest, and M. G. Kaiser, “Simulation in neurosurgery: a review of computer-based simulation environments and their surgical applications,” Neurosurgery, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 1105–1116, 2010.
- T. M. Qiu, Y. Zhang, J. S. Wu et al., “Virtual reality presurgical planning for cerebral gliomas adjacent to motor pathways in an integrated 3-D stereoscopic visualization of structural MRI and DTI tractography,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 152, no. 11, pp. 1847–1857, 2010.
- L. T. De Paolis, A. De Mauro, J. Raczkowsky, and G. Aloisio, “Virtual model of the human brain for neurosurgical simulation,” Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, vol. 150, pp. 811–815, 2009.