- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Radiology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 248039, 14 pages
Imaging the Facial Nerve: A Contemporary Review
1Department of Otolaryngology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
2Department of Radiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Received 19 October 2012; Revised 3 February 2013; Accepted 5 February 2013
Academic Editor: Philippe Soyer
Copyright © 2013 Sachin Gupta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. L. Lo, S. Fook-Chong, T. H. Leoh et al., “High-resolution ultrasound in the evaluation and prognosis of Bell's palsy,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 885–889, 2010.
- T. Taoka, H. Hirabayashi, H. Nakagawa et al., “Displacement of the facial nerve course by vestibular schwannoma: preoperative visualization using diffusion tensor tractography,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1005–1010, 2006.
- P. Raghavan, S. Mukherjee, and C. D. Phillips, “Imaging of the facial nerve,” Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 407–425, 2009.
- A. Cisneros, J. R. W. Orozco, J. A. O. Nogues et al., “Development of the stapedius muscle canal and its possible clinical consequences,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 277–281, 2011.
- L. Liu, R. Arnold, and M. Robinson, “Dissection and exposure of the whole course of deep nerves in human head specimens after decalcification,” International Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 2012, Article ID 418650, 7 pages, 2012.
- M. May and B. M. Schaitkin, The Facial Nerve, Thieme, New York, NY, USA, Second edition, 2000.
- H. D. Curtin, P. C. Sanelli, and P. M. Som, “Chapter 19 temporal bone: embryology and anatomy,” in Head and Neck Imaging, P. M. Som and H. D. Curtin, Eds., vol. 2, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- K. Al-Noury and A. Lotfy, “Normal and pathological findings for the facial nerve on magnetic resonance imaging,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 701–707, 2011.
- L. Jäger and M. Reiser, “CT and MR imaging of the normal and pathologic conditions of the facial nerve,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 133–146, 2001.
- F. Veillon, L. Ramos-Taboada, M. Abu-Eid, A. Charpiot, and S. Riehm, “Imaging of the facial nerve,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 341–348, 2010.
- S. C. Crawford, H. R. Harnsberger, and J. D. Swartz, “Chapter 7: the facial nerve (cranial nerve VII),” in Imaging of the Temporal Bone, J. D. Swartz and H. R. Harnsberger, Eds., Thieme, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- G. T. Nager and B. Proctor, “Anatomic variations and anomalies involving the facial canal,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 531–553, 1991.
- R. F. Yellon and B. F. Branstetter, “Prospective blinded study of computed tomography in congenital aural atresia,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 1286–1291, 2010.
- X. Mu, Y. Quan, J. Shao, J. Li, H. Wang, and R. Gong, “Enlarged geniculate ganglion fossa: CT sign of facial nerve canal fracture,” Academic Radiology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 971–976, 2012.
- J. R. Brodsky, T. W. Smith, S. Litofsky, and D. J. Lee, “Lipoma of the cerebellopontine angle,” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 271–274, 2006.
- B. Isaacson, S. A. Telian, P. E. McKeever, and H. A. Arts, “Hemangiomas of the geniculate ganglion,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 796–802, 2005.
- B. De Foer, J. P. Vercruysse, M. Spaepen et al., “Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging of the temporal bone,” Neuroradiology, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 785–807, 2010.
- E. Yorgancilar, M. Yildirim, R. Gun, et al., “Complications of chronic suppurative otitis media: a retrospective review,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2013.
- D. Q. Chen, J. Quan, A. Guha, M. Tymianski, D. Mikulis, and M. Hodaie, “Three-dimensional in vivo modeling of vestibular schwannomas and surrounding cranial nerves with diffusion imaging tractography,” Neurosurgery, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 1077–1083, 2011.
- P. G. Kennedy, “Herpes simplex virus type 1 and Bell's palsya current assessment of the controversy,” Journal of NeuroVirology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2010.
- M. J. Lanser and R. K. Jackler, “Gadolinium magnetic resonance imaging in Bell's palsy,” Western Journal of Medicine, vol. 154, no. 6, pp. 718–719, 1991.
- D. Pickuth and S. H. Heywang-Kobrunner, “Neurosarcoidosis: evaluation with MRI,” Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 185–188, 2000.
- B. Vanzieleghem, M. Lemmerling, D. Carton et al., “Lyme disease in a child presenting with bilateral facial nerve palsy: MRI findings and review of the literature,” Neuroradiology, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 739–742, 1998.
- F. Salvinelli, M. Casale, L. Vitaliana, F. Greco, C. Dianzani, and L. D'Ascanio, “Delayed peripheral facial palsy in the stapes surgery: can it be prevented?” American Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 2004.
- G. J. Gianoli, “Viral titers and delayed facial palsy after acoustic neuroma surgery,” Otolaryngology, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 427–431, 2002.
- D. E. Brackmann, L. M. Fisher, M. Hansen, A. Halim, and W. H. Slattery, “The effect of famciclovir on delayed facial paralysis after acoustic tumor resection,” Laryngoscope, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 1617–1620, 2008.
- H. T. F. M. Verzijl, J. Valk, R. De Vries, and G. W. Padberg, “Radiologic evidence for absence of the facial nerve in Möbius syndrome,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 849–855, 2005.
- I. E. Silverman, G. T. Liu, N. J. Volpe, and S. L. Galetta, “The crossed paralyses. The original brain-stem syndromes of Millard-Gubler, Foville, Weber, and Raymond-Cestan,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 635–638, 1995.
- E. Eggenberger, “Eight-and-a-half syndrome: one-and-a-half syndrome plus cranial nerve VII palsy,” Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 114–116, 1998.
- V. Saia and L. Pantoni, “Progressive stroke in pontine infarction,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 213–215, 2009.
- C. Bassetti, J. Bogousslavsky, A. Barth, and F. Regli, “Isolated infarcts of the pons,” Neurology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 165–175, 1996.
- L. Cattaneo, E. Saccani, P. De Giampaulis, G. Crisi, and G. Pavesi, “Central facial palsy revisited: a clinical-radiological study,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 404–408, 2010.
- J. Y. S. Kim, “Facial nerve parlaysis,” in Medscape Reference, D. Narayan, Ed., 2012.
- L. M. Nentwich and W. Veloz, “Neuroimaging in acute stroke,” in Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America, vol. 30, pp. 659–680, 2012.
- B. R. Spencer Jr. and K. B. Digre, “Treatments for neuro-ophthalmologic conditions,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1005–1035, 2010.
- D. Boghen, V. Tozlovanu, A. Iancu, and R. Forget, “Botulinum toxin therapy for apraxia of lid opening,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 956, pp. 482–483, 2002.
- N. Ahmadi, K. Newkirk, and H. J. Kim, “Facial nerve hemangioma: a rare case involving the vertical segment,” Laryngoscope, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 499–502, 2013.
- O. Friedman, B. A. Neff, T. O. Willcox, L. C. Kenyon, and R. T. Sataloff, “Temporal bone hemangiomas involving the facial nerve,” Otology and Neurotology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 760–766, 2002.
- J. Kunzel, J. Zenk, M. Koch, J. Hornung, and H. Iro, “Paraganglioma of the facial nerve, a rare differential diagnosis for facial nerve paralysis: case report and review of the literature,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 693–698, 2012.
- A. S. Garden, R. S. Weber, W. H. Morrison, K. K. Ang, and L. J. Peters, “The influence of positive margins and nerve invasion in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck treated with surgery and radiation,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 619–626, 1995.
- C. M. Malata, I. G. Camilleri, N. R. McLean et al., “Malignant tumours of the parotid gland: a 12-year review,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 600–608, 1997.