- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 425636, 15 pages
Discovery of Biomarkers for Osteosarcoma by Proteomics Approaches
1Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2-1-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8421, Japan
2Division of Pharmacoproteomics, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
3Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tachikawa Memorial Hospital, 4-2-22 Nishikichou, Tachikawa, Tokyo 190-8531, Japan
4Division of Musculoskeletal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045, Japan
Received 3 July 2012; Accepted 30 August 2012
Academic Editor: Norman Jaffe
Copyright © 2012 Yoshiyuki Suehara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. D. M. Fletcher, K. K. Unni, and F. Mertens, World health organization classification of tumours, pathology and genetics, tumours of soft tissue and bone, 2002.
- A. J. Provisor, L. J. Ettinger, J. B. Nachman et al., “Treatment of nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremity with preoperative and postoperative chemotherapy: a report from the children's cancer group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 76–84, 1997.
- K. Ochi, Y. Daigo, T. Katagiri et al., “Prediction of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma by gene-expression profiles,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 647–655, 2004.
- M. B. Mintz, R. Sowers, K. M. Brown et al., “An expression signature classifies chemotherapy-resistant pediatric osteosarcoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1748–1754, 2005.
- P. Leonard, T. Sharp, S. Henderson et al., “Gene expression array profile of human osteosarcoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 2284–2288, 2003.
- T. K. Man, X. Y. Lu, K. Jaeweon et al., “Genome-wide array comparative genomic hybridization analysis reveals distinct amplifications in osteosarcoma,” BMC Cancer, vol. 4, article 45, 2004.
- M. Zielenska, J. Bayani, A. Pandita et al., “Comparative genomic hybridization analysis identifies gains of 1p35~p36 and chromosome 19 in osteosarcoma,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2001.
- S. dos Santos Aguiar, L. de Jesus Girotto Zambaldi, A. M. dos Santos, W. Pinto Jr., and S. R. Brandalise, “Comparative genomic hybridization analysis of abnormalities in chromosome 21 in childhood osteosarcoma,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2007.
- C. C. Lau, C. P. Harris, X. Y. Lu et al., “Frequent amplification and rearrangement of chromosomal bands 6p12-p21 and 17p11.2 in osteosarcoma,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2004.
- J. Atiye, M. Wolf, S. Kaur et al., “Gene amplifications in osteosarcoma—CGH microarray analysis,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 158–163, 2005.
- C. M. Hattinger, G. Reverter-Branchat, D. Remondini et al., “Genomic imbalances associated with methotrexaate resistance in human osteosarcoma cell lines detected by comparative genomic hybridization-based techniques,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 483–493, 2003.
- J. A. Squire, J. Pei, P. Marrano et al., “High-resolution mapping of amplifications and deletions in pediatric osteosarcoma by use of CGH analysis of cDNA microarrays,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 215–225, 2003.
- G. Lim, J. Karaskova, B. Beheshti et al., “An integrated mBAND and submegabase resolution tiling set (SMRT) CGH array analysis of focal amplification, microdeletions, and ladder structures consistent with breakage-fusion-bridge cycle events in osteosarcoma,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 392–403, 2005.
- G. Chen, T. G. Gharib, C. C. Huang et al., “Discordant protein and mRNA expression in lung adenocarcinomas,” Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 304–313, 2002.
- Y. Suehara, T. Kondo, K. Fujii et al., “Proteomic signatures corresponding to histological classification and grading of soft-tissue sarcomas,” Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 15, pp. 4402–4409, 2006.
- A. Kawai, T. Kondo, Y. Suehara, K. Kikuta, and S. Hirohashi, “Global protein-expression analysis of bone and soft tissue sarcomas,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 466, no. 9, pp. 2099–2106, 2008.
- S. P. Gygi, Y. Rochon, B. R. Franza, and R. Aebersold, “Correlation between protein and mRNA abundance in yeast,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 1720–1730, 1999.
- Y. Suehara, N. Tochigi, D. Kubota et al., “Secernin-1 as a novel prognostic biomarker candidate of synovial sarcoma revealed by proteomics,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 829–842, 2011.
- Y. Suehara, T. Kondo, K. Seki et al., “Pfetin as a prognostic biomarker of gastrointestinal stromal tumors revealed by proteomics,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1707–1717, 2008.
- Y. Suehara, K. Kikuta, R. Nakayama et al., “GST-P1 as a histological biomarker of synovial sarcoma revealed by proteomics,” Proteomics—Clinical Applications, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 623–634, 2009.
- Y. Suehara, K. Kikuta, R. Nakayama et al., “Anatomic site-specific proteomic signatures of gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Proteomics—Clinical Applications, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 584–596, 2009.
- Y. Suehara, “Proteomic analysis of soft tissue sarcoma,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 92–100, 2011.
- K. Kikuta, N. Tochigi, S. Saito et al., “Peroxiredoxin 2 as a chemotherapy responsiveness biomarker candidate in osteosarcoma revealed by proteomics,” Proteomics—Clinical Applications, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 560–567, 2010.
- K. Kikuta, D. Kubota, T. Saito, et al., “Clinical proteomics identified ATP-dependent RNA helicase DDX39 as a novel biomarker to predict poor prognosis of patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumor,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 1089–1098.
- K. Kikuta, N. Tochigi, T. Shimoda et al., “Nucleophosmin as a candidate prognostic biomarker of ewing's sarcoma revealed by proteomics,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2885–2894, 2009.
- Y. Li, T. A. Dang, J. Shen et al., “Plasma proteome predicts chemotherapy response in osteosarcoma patients,” Oncology Reports, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 303–314, 2011.
- K. Yanagisawa, Y. Shyr, B. J. Xu et al., “Proteomic patterns of tumour subsets in non-small-cell lung cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 362, no. 9382, pp. 433–439, 2003.
- A. A. Alaiya, B. Franzén, A. Hagman et al., “Molecular classification of borderline ovarian tumors using hierarchical cluster analysis of protein expression profiles,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 895–899, 2002.
- M. L. Reyzer, R. L. Caldwell, T. C. Dugger et al., “Early changes in protein expression detected by mass spectrometry predict tumor response to molecular therapeutics,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 24, pp. 9093–9100, 2004.
- J. W. Cui, J. Wang, K. He et al., “Proteomic analysis of human acute leukemia cells: insight into their classification,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 20, pp. 6887–6896, 2004.
- S. Varambally, J. Yu, B. Laxman et al., “Integrative genomic and proteomic analysis of prostate cancer reveals signatures of metastatic progression,” Cancer Cell, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 393–406, 2005.
- C. Folio, M. I. Mora, M. Zalacain et al., “Proteomic analysis of chemonaïve pediatric osteosarcomas and corresponding normal bone reveals multiple altered molecular targets,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 3882–3888, 2009.
- Y. Li, T. A. Dang, J. Shen et al., “Identification of a plasma proteomic signature to distinguish pediatric osteosarcoma from benign osteochondroma,” Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 3426–3435, 2006.
- Y. Li, Q. Liang, Y. Q. Wen et al., “Comparative proteomics analysis of human osteosarcomas and benign tumor of bone,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 97–106, 2010.
- D. H. Conrad, J. Goyette, and P. S. Thomas, “Proteomics as a method for early detection of cancer: a review of proteomics, exhaled breath condensate, and lung cancer screening,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 78–84, 2008.
- C. A. Granville and P. A. Dennis, “An overview of lung cancer genomics and proteomics,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 169–176, 2005.
- R. Alessandro, S. Fontana, E. Kohn, and G. de Leo, “Proteomic strategies and their application in cancer research,” Tumori, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 447–455, 2005.
- T. Takahashi, T. Naka, M. Fujimoto et al., “Aberrant expression of glycosylation in juvenile gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Proteomics—Clinical Applications, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 1246–1254, 2008.
- G. E. Holt, H. S. Schwartz, and R. L. Caldwell, “Proteomic profiling in musculoskeletal oncology by MALDI mass spectrometry,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 450, pp. 105–110, 2006.
- P. A. Fetsch, N. L. Simone, P. K. Bryant-Greenwood et al., “Proteomic evaluation of archival cytologic material using SELDI affinity mass spectrometry: potential for diagnostic applications,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 870–876, 2002.
- T. Kondo and S. Hirohashi, “Application of highly sensitive fluorescent dyes (CyDye DIGE Fluor saturation dyes) to laser microdissection and two-dimensional difference gel electrophoresis (2D-DIGE) for cancer proteomics,” Nature Protocols, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 2940–2956, 2006.
- T. Kondo and S. Hirohashi, “Application of 2D-DIGE in cancer proteomics toward personalized medicine,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 577, pp. 135–154, 2009.
- J. S. Minden, S. R. Dowd, H. E. Meyer, and K. Stühler, “Difference gel electrophoresis,” Electrophoresis, vol. 30, supplement 1, pp. S156–S161, 2009.
- B. Fiévet, D. Louvard, and M. Arpin, “ERM proteins in epithelial cell organization and functions,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1773, no. 5, pp. 653–660, 2007.
- G. Bulut, S. H. Hong, K. Chen et al., “Small molecule inhibitors of ezrin inhibit the invasive phenotype of osteosarcoma cells,” Oncogene, vol. 31, pp. 269–281, 2012.
- A. Bretscher, K. Edwards, and R. G. Fehon, “ERM proteins and merlin: integrators at the cell cortex,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 586–599, 2002.
- L. Ren, S. H. Hong, Q. R. Chen, et al., “Dysregulation of ezrin phosphorylation prevents metastasis and alters cellular metabolism in osteosarcoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1001–1012.
- S. Tsukita, S. Yonemura, and S. Tsukita, “ERM (ezrin/radixin/moesin) family: from cytoskeleton to signal transduction,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 1997.
- C. Khanna, X. Wan, S. Bose et al., “The membrane-cytoskeleton linker ezrin is necessary for osteosarcoma metastasis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 182–186, 2004.
- H. R. Park, R. L. Cabrini, E. S. Araujo, M. L. Paparella, D. Brandizzi, and Y. K. Park, “Expression of ezrin and metastatic tumor antigen in osteosarcomas of the jaw,” Tumori, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2009.
- H. R. Park, W. W. Jung, P. Bacchini, F. Bertoni, Y. W. Kim, and Y. K. Park, “Ezrin in osteosarcoma: comparison between conventional high-grade and central low-grade osteosarcoma,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 202, no. 7, pp. 509–515, 2006.
- C. Di Cristofano, M. Leopizzi, A. Miraglia et al., “Phosphorylated ezrin is located in the nucleus of the osteosarcoma cell,” Modern Pathology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1012–1020, 2010.
- Y. Yu, J. Khan, C. Khanna, L. Helman, P. S. Meltzer, and G. Merlino, “Expression profiling identifies the cytoskeletal organizer ezrin and the developmental homeoprotein Six-1 as key metastatic regulators,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2004.
- A. M. Davis, R. S. Bell, and P. J. Goodwin, “Prognostic factors in osteosarcoma: a critical review,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 423–431, 1994.
- S. B. Lee, J. N. Ho, S. H. Yoon, G. Y. Kang, S. G. Hwang, and H. D. Um, “Peroxiredoxin 6 promotes lung cancer cell invasion by inducing urokinase-type plasminogen activator via p38 kinase, phosphoinositide 3-kinase, and Akt,” Molecules and Cells, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 583–588, 2009.
- C. A. Neumann, D. S. Krause, C. V. Carman et al., “Essential role for the peroxiredoxin Prdx1 in erythrocyte antioxidant defence and tumour suppression,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6948, pp. 561–565, 2003.
- T. H. Lee, S. U. Kim, S. L. Yu et al., “Peroxiredoxin II is essential for sustaining life span of erythrocytes in mice,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 5033–5038, 2003.
- X. Wang, S. A. Phelan, K. Forsman-Semb et al., “Mice with targeted mutation of peroxiredoxin 6 develop normally but are susceptible to oxidative stress,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 27, pp. 25179–25190, 2003.
- Y. Wang, S. I. Feinstein, and A. B. Fisher, “Peroxiredoxin 6 as an antioxidant enzyme: protection of lung alveolar epithelial type II cells from H2O2-induced oxidative stress,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 1274–1285, 2008.
- Y. Wang, S. I. Feinstein, Y. Manevich, Y. S. Ho, and A. B. Fisher, “Peroxiredoxin 6 gene-targeted mice show increased lung injury with paraquat-induced oxidative stress,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 8, no. 1-2, pp. 229–237, 2006.
- S. T. Lehtonen, A. M. Svensk, Y. Soini et al., “Peroxiredoxins, a novel protein family in lung cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 514–521, 2004.
- D. Q. Li, L. Wang, F. Fei et al., “Identification of breast cancer metastasis-associated proteins in an isogenic tumor metastasis model using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and liquid chromatography-ion trap-mass spectrometry,” Proteomics, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 3352–3368, 2006.
- P. Karihtala, A. Mäntyniemi, S. W. Kang, V. L. Kinnula, and Y. Soini, “Peroxiredoxins in breast carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 3418–3424, 2003.
- J. B. Lee, S. J. Yun, H. Z. Chae, Y. H. Won, Y. P. Kim, and S. C. Lee, “Expression of peroxiredoxin and thioredoxin in dermatological disorders,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 710–712, 2002.
- V. L. Kinnula, S. Lehtonen, R. Sormunen et al., “Overexpression of peroxiredoxins I, II, III, V, and VI in malignant mesothelioma,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 196, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 2002.
- T. Yanagawa, T. Ishikawa, T. Ishii et al., “Peroxiredoxin I expression in human thyroid tumors,” Cancer Letters, vol. 145, no. 1-2, pp. 127–132, 1999.
- W. C. Chen, W. H. McBride, K. S. Iwamoto et al., “Induction of radioprotective peroxiredoxin-I by ionizing irradiation,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 794–798, 2002.
- J. H. Kim, P. N. Bogner, N. Ramnath, Y. Park, J. Yu, and Y. M. Park, “Elevated peroxiredoxin 1, but not NF-E2-related factor 2, is an independent prognostic factor for disease recurrence and reduced survival in stage I non-small cell lung cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 13, pp. 3875–3882, 2007.
- Y. M. Chung, Y. D. Yoo, J. K. Park, Y. T. Kim, and H. J. Kim, “Increased expression of peroxiredoxin II confers resistance to cisplatin,” Anticancer Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 1129–1133, 2001.
- S. H. Park, Y. M. Chung, Y. S. Lee et al., “Antisense of human peroxiredoxin II enhances radiation-induced cell death,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4915–4920, 2000.
- L. Smith, K. J. Welham, M. B. Watson, P. J. Drew, M. J. Lind, and L. Cawkwell, “The proteomic analysis of cisplatin resistance in breast cancer cells,” Oncology Research, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 497–506, 2007.
- A. Kropotov, V. Gogvadze, O. Shupliakov et al., “Peroxiredoxin V is essential for protection against apoptosis in human lung carcinoma cells,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 312, no. 15, pp. 2806–2815, 2006.
- A. Castagna, P. Antonioli, H. Astner et al., “A proteomic approach to cisplatin resistance in the cervix squamous cell carcinoma cell line A431,” Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 3246–3267, 2004.
- X. Z. Chang, D. Q. Li, Y. F. Hou et al., “Identification of the functional role of peroxiredoxin 6 in the progression of breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 6, article R76, 2007.
- T. O. Nielsen, “Microarray analysis of sarcomas,” Advances in Anatomic Pathology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 166–173, 2006.
- K. Tschoep, A. Kohlmann, M. Schlemmer, T. Haferlach, and R. D. Issels, “Gene expression profiling in sarcomas,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 111–124, 2007.
- T. O. Nielsen, R. B. West, S. C. Linn et al., “Molecular characterisation of soft tissue tumours: a gene expression study,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9314, pp. 1301–1307, 2002.
- C. R. Antonescu, “Molecular profiling in the diagnosis and treatment of high grade sarcomas,” Ultrastructural Pathology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 37–42, 2008.
- R. Nakayama, T. Nemoto, H. Takahashi et al., “Gene expression analysis of soft tissue sarcomas: characterization and reclassification of malignant fibrous histiocytoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 749–759, 2007.