- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 498472, 11 pages
DNA Methylation and Gene Expression Profiling of Ewing Sarcoma Primary Tumors Reveal Genes That Are Potential Targets of Epigenetic Inactivation
1Department of Quality Control, XBiotech, Inc., Austin, TX 78744, USA
2Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
3Department of Biostatistics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
4Division of Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
5Department of Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
6Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
7Department of Pediatrics and Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
8Division of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232-6510, USA
Received 23 April 2012; Accepted 14 July 2012
Academic Editor: Maria Tsokos
Copyright © 2012 Nikul Patel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Delattre, J. Zucman, B. Plougastel et al., “Gene fusion with an ETS DNA-binding domain caused by chromosome translocation in human tumours,” Nature, vol. 359, no. 6391, pp. 162–165, 1992.
- S. L. Lessnick, C. S. Dacwag, and T. R. Golub, “The Ewing's sarcoma oncoprotein EWS/FLI induces a p53-dependent growth arrest in primary human fibroblasts,” Cancer Cell, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 393–401, 2002.
- B. Deneen and C. T. Denny, “Loss of p16 pathways stabilizes EWS/FLI1 expression and complements EWS/FLI1 mediated transformation,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 46, pp. 6731–6741, 2001.
- H. Y. Huang, P. B. Illei, Z. Zhao et al., “Ewing sarcomas with p53 mutation or p16/p14ARF homozygous deletion: a highly lethal subset associated with poor chemoresponse,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 548–558, 2005.
- M. Esteller, “Molecular origins of cancer: epigenetics in cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 11, pp. 1148–1096, 2008.
- M. Rodríguez-Paredes and M. Esteller, “Cancer epigenetics reaches mainstream oncology,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 330–339, 2011.
- A. M. Marcondes, A. J. Mhyre, D. L. Stirewalt, S. H. Kim, C. A. Dinarello, and H. J. Deeg, “Dysregulation of IL-32 in myelodysplastic syndrome and chronic myelomonocytic leukemia modulates apoptosis and impairs NK function,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 8, pp. 2865–2870, 2008.
- M. Bibikova, Z. Lin, L. Zhou et al., “High-throughput DNA methylation profiling using universal bead arrays,” Genome Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 383–393, 2006.
- G. K. Smyth, “Linear models and empirical bayes methods for assessing differential expression in microarray experiments,” Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 3, no. 1, Article ID 3, 2004.
- Y. Benjamini and Y. Hochberg, “Controlling the false discovery rate-a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 289–300, 1995.
- L. C. Li and R. Dahiya, “MethPrimer: designing primers for methylation PCRs,” Bioinformatics, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1427–1431, 2002.
- C. Bock, S. Reither, T. Mikeska, M. Paulsen, J. Walter, and T. Lengauer, “BiQ Analyzer: visualization and quality control for DNA methylation data from bisulfite sequencing,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 4067–4068, 2005.
- M. Brait, S. Begum, A. L. Carvalho et al., “Aberrant promoter methylation of multiple genes during pathogenesis of bladder cancer,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2786–2794, 2008.
- D. O. Vidal, V. A. Paixão, M. Brait et al., “Aberrant methylation in pediatric myelodysplastic syndrome,” Leukemia Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2007.
- R. Smith, L. A. Owen, D. J. Trem et al., “Expression profiling of EWS/FLI identifies NKX2.2 as a critical target gene in Ewing's sarcoma,” Cancer Cell, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 405–416, 2006.
- L. A. Owen, A. A. Kowalewski, and S. L. Lessnick, “EWS/FLI mediates transcriptional repression via NKX2.2 during oncogenic transformation in Ewing's sarcoma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 4, Article ID e1965, 2008.
- D. Douglas, J. H. R. Hsu, L. Hung et al., “BMI-1 promotes Ewing sarcoma tumorigenicity independent of CDKN2A repression,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 16, pp. 6507–6515, 2008.
- S. Burdach, S. Plehm, R. Unland et al., “Epigenetic maintenance of stemness and malignancy in peripheral neuroectodermal tumors by EZH2,” Cell Cycle, vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 1991–1996, 2009.
- M. Spivakov and A. G. Fisher, “Epigenetic signatures of stem-cell identity,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 263–271, 2007.
- S. Fulda, M. U. Küfer, E. Meyer, F. Van Valen, B. Dockhorn-Dworniczak, and K. M. Debatin, “Sensitization for death receptor- or drug-induced apoptosis by re-expression of caspase-8 through demethylation or gene transfer,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 41, pp. 5865–5877, 2001.
- A. Hurtubise, M. L. Bernstein, and R. L. Momparler, “Preclinical evaluation of the antineoplastic action of 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine and different histone deacetylase inhibitors on human Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Cancer Cell International, vol. 8, p. 16, 2008.
- J. K. Killian, S. Bilke, S. Davis et al., “Large-scale profiling of archival lymph nodes reveals pervasive remodeling of the follicular lymphoma methylome,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 758–764, 2009.
- A. Doi, I. H. Park, B. Wen et al., “Differential methylation of tissue-and cancer-specific CpG island shores distinguishes human induced pluripotent stem cells, embryonic stem cells and fibroblasts,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1350–1353, 2009.
- R. A. Irizarry, C. Ladd-Acosta, B. Carvalho et al., “Comprehensive high-throughput arrays for relative methylation (CHARM),” Genome Research, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 780–790, 2008.
- M. Weber, I. Hellmann, M. B. Stadler et al., “Distribution, silencing potential and evolutionary impact of promoter DNA methylation in the human genome,” Nature Genetics, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 457–466, 2007.
- R. D. Balsara and V. A. Ploplis, “Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1: the double-edged sword in apoptosis,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1029–1036, 2008.
- W. Sheng, G. Wang, D. P. La Pierre et al., “Versican mediates mesenchymal-epithelial transition,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 2009–2020, 2006.
- A. Verma, S. L. Warner, H. Vankayalapati, D. J. Bearss, and S. Sharma, “Targeting Axl and Mer kinases in cancer,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1763–1773, 2011.
- K. J. Hewitt, Y. Shamis, R. B. Hayman et al., “Epigenetic and phenotypic profile of fibroblasts derived from induced pluripotent stem cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e17128, 2011.
- D. W. Nebert and T. P. Dalton, “The role of cytochrome P450 enzymes in endogenous signalling pathways and environmental carcinogenesis,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 947–960, 2006.
- H. Guan, Z. Zhou, G. E. Gallick et al., “Targeting Lyn inhibits tumor growth and metastasis in Ewing's sarcoma,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1807–1816, 2008.
- F. Antequerra, J. Boyes, and A. Bird, “High levels of de novo methylation and altered chromatin structure at CpG islands in cell lines,” Cell, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 503–514, 1990.
- K. Harada, S. Toyooka, A. Maitra et al., “Aberrant promoter methylation and silencing of the RASSF1A gene in pediatric tumors and cell lines,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 27, pp. 4345–4349, 2002.
- S. Avigad, S. Shukla, I. Naumov et al., “Aberrant methylation and reduced expression of RASSF1A in Ewing sarcoma,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1023–1028, 2009.
- X. Lan, C. Adams, M. Landers et al., “High resolution detection and analysis of CpG dinucleotides methylation using MBD-seq technology,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 7, Article ID e22226, 2011.
- R. A. Irizarry, C. Ladd-Acosta, B. Wen et al., “The human colon cancer methylome shows similar hypo- and hypermethylation at conserved tissue-specific CpG island shores,” Nature Genetics, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 178–186, 2009.
- J. F. Costello, D. J. Smiraglia, and C. Plass, “Restriction landmark genome scanning,” Methods, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 144–149, 2002.
- L. Shen, Y. Kondo, Y. Guo et al., “Genome-wide profiling of DNA methylation reveals a class of normally methylated CpG island promoters,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 2023–2026, 2007.