- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 636405, 5 pages
Survival Trends and Long-Term Toxicity in Pediatric Patients with Osteosarcoma
1Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
2Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, P.O. Box 30.001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Received 4 July 2012; Revised 23 October 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Norman Jaffe
Copyright © 2012 Melanie M. Hagleitner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Bacci, P. Picci, S. Ferrari, et al., “Primary chemotherap and deleyed surgery for nonmetastatic osteosarcom of the extremities: results in 164 patients preoperatively treates with high doses of methotrexate followed by cisplatin and doxorubin,” Cancer, vol. 72, pp. 3227–3230, 1993.
- S. S. Bielack, D. Carrle, J. Hardes, A. Schuck, and M. Paulussen, “Bone tumors in adolescents and young adults,” Current Treatment Options in Oncology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 67–80, 2008.
- M. Eselgrim, H. Grunert, T. Kühne et al., “Dose intensity of chemotherapy for osteosarcoma and outcome in the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group (COSS) trials,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2006.
- I. J. Lewis, S. Weeden, D. Machin, D. Stark, and A. W. Craft, “Received dose and dose-intensity of chemotherapy and outcome in nonmetastatic extremity osteosarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 4028–4037, 2000.
- G. Bacci, C. Forni, S. Ferrari et al., “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma of the extremity: intensification of preoperative treatment does not increase the rate of good histologic response to the primary tumor or improve the final outcome,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 845–853, 2003.
- S. Ferrari and E. Palmerini, “Adjuvant and neoadjuvant combination chemotherapy for osteogenic sarcoma,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 341–346, 2007.
- G. Bacci, S. Ferrari, F. Bertoni et al., “Long-term outcome for patients with nonmetastatic osteosarcoma of the extremity treated at the Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli according to the Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli/osteosarcoma-2 protocol: an updated report,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 4016–4027, 2000.
- E. L. Kaplan and P. Meier, “Nonparametric observations from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- R. J. Gray, “A class of K-sample tests for comparing the cumulative incidence of a competing risk,” The Annals of Statistics, vol. 16, pp. 1141–1154, 1988.
- T. R. Kimball and E. C. Michelfelder, Echocardiography, in Moss & Adams’s ‘Heart Disease in Infants, Children, and Adolescents’, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2008.
- P. R. Brock, S. C. Bellman, E. C. Yeomans, C. R. Pinkerton, and J. Pritchard, “Cisplatin ototoxicity in children: a practical grading system,” Medical and Pediatric Oncology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 295–300, 1991.
- S. S. Bielack, B. Kempf-Bielack, G. Delling et al., “Prognostic factors in high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremities or trunk: an analysis of 1,702 patients treated on neoadjuvant cooperative osteosarcoma study group protocols,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 776–790, 2002.
- R. Nagarajan, A. Kamruzzaman, K. K. Ness et al., “Twenty years of follow-up of survivors of childhood osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 625–634, 2011.
- N. Delepine, G. Delepine, C. Jasmin, J. C. Desbois, H. Cornille, and G. Mathe, “Importance of age and methotrexate dosage: prognosis in children and young adults with high-grade osteosarcomas,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 1988.
- G. Bacci, S. Ferrari, N. Delepine et al., “Predictive factors of histologic response to primary chemotherapy in osteosarcoma of the extremity: study of 272 patients preoperatively treated with high-dose methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 658–663, 1998.
- N. Graf, K. Winkler, M. Betlemovic, N. Fuchs, and U. Bode, “Methotrexate pharmacokinetics and prognosis in osteosarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1443–1451, 1994.
- E. C. van Dalen, J. W. van As, and B. de Camargo, “Methotrexate for high-grade osteosarcoma in children and young adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, Article ID CD006325, 2011.
- C. B. Pratt, W. H. Meyer, X. Luo, et al., “Second malignant neoplasms occurring in survivors of osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 80, pp. 960–965, 1997.
- L. Aung, R. G. Gorlick, W. Shi et al., “Second malignant neoplasms in long-term survivors of osteosarcoma: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1728–1734, 2002.
- J. P. Neglia, D. L. Friedman, Y. Yasui et al., “Second malignant neoplasms in five-year survivors of childhood cancer: childhood cancer survivor study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 8, pp. 618–629, 2001.
- S. E. Lipshultz, S. P. Sanders, A. M. Goorin, J. P. Krischer, S. E. Sallan, and S. D. Colan, “Monitoring for anthracycline cardiotoxicity,” Pediatrics, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 433–437, 1994.
- L. J. Steinherz, P. G. Steinherz, C. T. C. Tan, G. Heller, and M. L. Murphy, “Cardiac toxicity 4 to 20 years after completing anthracycline therapy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 266, no. 12, pp. 1672–1677, 1991.
- P. Stavroulaki, N. Apostolopoulos, J. Segas, M. Tsakanikos, and G. Adamopoulos, “Evoked otoacoustic emissions—an approach for monitoring cisplatin induced ototoxicity in children,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 2001.
- Y. Li, R. B. Womer, and J. H. Silber, “Predicting cisplatin ototoxicity in children: the influence of age and the cumulative dose,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 40, no. 16, pp. 2445–2451, 2004.
- C. H. Pui, A. J. Gajjar, J. R. Kane, et al., “Challenging issues in pediatric oncology,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, vol. 8, pp. 540–549, 2011.
- C. Lanvers-Kaminsky, B. Krefeld, A. G. Dinnesen et al., “Continuous or repeated prolonged cisplatin infusions in children: a prospective study on ototoxicity, platinum concentrations, and standard serum parameters,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 183–193, 2006.