- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 782970, 14 pages
A Novel Role of IGF1 in Apo2L/TRAIL-Mediated Apoptosis of Ewing Tumor Cells
1Institute of Experimental Musculoskeletal Medicine, University Hospital Münster, Albert-Schweitzer-Campus 1,
48149 Münster, Germany
2Institute of Food Chemistry, The University of Münster, Corrensstrasse 45, 48149 Münster, Germany
3Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Children’s Hospital Münster, Albert-Schweitzer-Campus 1, 48149 Münster, Germany
4Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital Münster, Albert-Schweitzer-Campus 1, 48149 Münster, Germany
Received 25 June 2012; Accepted 15 August 2012
Academic Editor: Maria Tsokos
Copyright © 2012 Frans van Valen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Dirksen and H. Jürgens, “Approaching Ewing sarcoma,” Future Oncology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1155–1162, 2010.
- E. C. Toomey, J. D. Schiffman, and S. L. Lessnick, “Recent advances in the molecular pathogenesis of Ewing's sarcoma,” Oncogene, vol. 29, no. 32, pp. 4504–4516, 2010.
- F. van Valen, W. Winkelmann, and H. Jurgens, “Type I and Type II insulin-like growth factor receptors and their function in human Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 269–275, 1992.
- D. Yee, R. E. Favoni, G. S. Lebovic et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I expression by tumors of neuroectodermal origin with the t(11;22) chromosomal translocation. A potential autocrine growth factor,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1806–1814, 1990.
- A. Prieur, F. Tirode, P. Cohen, and O. Delattre, “EWS/FLI-1 silencing and gene profiling of Ewing cells reveal downstream oncogenic pathways and a crucial role for repression of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 7275–7283, 2004.
- S. Hofbauer, G. Hamilton, G. Theyer, K. Wollmann, and F. Gabor, “Insulin-like growth factor-I-dependent growth and in vitro chemosensitivity of Ewing's sarcoma and peripheral primitive neuroectodermal tumour cell lines,” European Journal of Cancer Part A, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 1993.
- J. A. Toretsky, M. Thakar, A. E. Eskenazi, and C. N. Frantz, “Phosphoinositide 3-hydroxide kinase blockade enhances apoptosis in the Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 22, pp. 5745–5750, 1999.
- S. R. Wiley, K. Schooley, P. J. Smolak et al., “Identification and characterization of a new member of the TNF family that induces apoptosis,” Immunity, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 673–682, 1995.
- R. M. Pitti, S. A. Marsters, S. Ruppert, C. J. Donahue, A. Moore, and A. Ashkenazi, “Induction of apoptosis by Apo-2 ligand, a new member of the tumor necrosis factor cytokine family,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 22, pp. 12687–12690, 1996.
- A. Ashkenazi, R. C. Pai, S. Fong et al., “Safety and antitumor activity of recombinant soluble Apo2 ligand,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 1999.
- C. Falschlehner, U. Schaefer, and H. Walczak, “Following TRAIL's path in the immune system,” Immunology, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 145–154, 2009.
- R. S. Herbst, S. G. Eckhardt, R. Kurzrock et al., “Phase I dose-escalation study of recombinant human Apo2L/TRAIL, a dual proapoptotic receptor agonist, in patients with advanced cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 2839–2846, 2010.
- F. van Valen, S. Fulda, B. Truckenbrod, et al., “Apoptotic responsiveness of the Ewing's sarcoma family of tumours to tumour necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL),” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 252–259, 2000.
- A. Ashkenazi, “Directing cancer cells to self-destruct with pro-apoptotic receptor agonists,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1001–1012, 2008.
- M. S. Ola, M. Nawaz, and H. Ahsan, “Role of Bcl-2 family proteins and caspases in the regulation of apoptosis,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 351, no. 1-2, pp. 41–58, 2011.
- J. Sensintaffar, F. L. Scott, R. Peach, and J. H. Hager, “XIAP is not required for human tumor cell survival in the absence of an exogenous death signal,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 11, 2010.
- H. C. Dan, M. Sun, S. Kaneko et al., “Akt phosphorylation and stabilization of x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 7, pp. 5405–5412, 2004.
- W. Liu, J. A. D'Ercole, and P. Ye, “Blunting type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor expression exacerbates neuronal apoptosis following hypoxic/ischemic injury,” BMC Neuroscience, vol. 12, article 64, 2011.
- V. Poulaki, C. S. Mitsiades, V. Kotoula et al., “Regulation of Apo2L/tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-induced apoptosis in thyroid carcinoma cells,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 643–654, 2002.
- M. Fakler, S. Loeder, M. Vogler et al., “Small molecule XIAP inhibitors cooperate with TRAIL to induce apoptosis in childhood acute leukemia cells and overcome Bcl-2-mediated resistance,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 1710–1722, 2009.
- X. Chen, H. Thakkar, F. Tyan et al., “Constitutively active Akt is an important regulator of TRAIL sensitivity in prostate cancer,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 42, pp. 6073–6083, 2001.
- J. Asakuma, M. Sumitomo, T. Asano, T. Asano, and M. Hayakawa, “Selective Akt inactivation and tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand sensitization of renal cancer cells by low concentrations of paclitaxel,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1365–1370, 2003.
- F. van Valen, “Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors,” in Human Cell Culture, J. R. W. Masters and B. O. Palsson, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 55–85, Kluwer Academic Publishers, London, UK, 1999.
- J. Bielawski, Z. M. Szulc, Y. A. Hannun, and A. Bielawska, “Simultaneous quantitative analysis of bioactive sphingolipids by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Methods, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 82–91, 2006.
- M. M. Chi, A. L. Schlein, and K. H. Moley, “High insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and insulin concentrations trigger apoptosis in the mouse blastocyst via down-regulation of the IGF-1 receptor,” Endocrinology, vol. 141, no. 12, pp. 4784–4792, 2000.
- C. Schmitz-Peiffer, D. L. Craig, and T. J. Biden, “Ceramide generation is sufficient to account for the inhibition of the insulin-stimulated PKB pathway in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells pretreated with palmitate,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 34, pp. 24202–24210, 1999.
- B. J. Kroesen, S. Jacobs, B. J. Pettus et al., “BcR-induced apoptosis involves differential regulation of C16 and C24-ceramide formation and sphingolipid-dependent activation of the proteasome,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 17, pp. 14723–14731, 2003.
- T. D. Mullen, Y. A. Hannun, and L. M. Obeid, “Ceramide synthases at the centre of sphingolipid metabolism and biology,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 441, no. 3, pp. 789–802, 2012.
- K. Scotlandi, S. Benini, M. Sarti et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I receptor-mediated circuit in Ewing's sarcoma/peripheral neuroectodermal tumor: a possible therapeutic target,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 20, pp. 4570–4574, 1996.
- K. Scotlandi, S. Benini, P. Nanni et al., “Blockage of insulin-like growth factor-I receptor inhibits the growth of Ewing's sarcoma in athymic mice,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 18, pp. 4127–4131, 1998.
- H. Kato, T. N. Faria, B. Stannard, C. T. Roberts, and D. LeRoith, “Role of tyrosine kinase activity in signal transduction by the insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) receptor. Characterization of kinase-deficient IGF-I receptors and the action of an IGF-I-mimetic antibody (αIR-3),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 4, pp. 2655–2661, 1993.
- D. D. De Leon, D. M. Wilson, M. Powers, and R. G. Rosenfeld, “Effects of insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and IGF receptor antibodies on the proliferation of human breast cancer cells,” Growth Factors, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 327–336, 1992.
- C. Duan, S. B. Hawes, T. Prevette, and D. R. Clemmons, “Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) regulates IGF-binding protein-5 synthesis through transcriptional activation of the gene in aortic smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 8, pp. 4280–4288, 1996.
- R. S. Warren, H. Yuan, M. R. Matli, N. Ferrara, and D. B. Donner, “Induction of vascular endothelial growth factor by insulin-like growth factor 1 in colorectal carcinoma,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 46, pp. 29483–29488, 1996.
- Y. C. Zhang, X. P. Wang, L. Y. Zhang, A. L. Song, Z. M. Kou, and X. S. Li, “Effect of blocking IGF-I receptor on growth of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 25, pp. 3977–3982, 2006.
- M. Hotfilder, P. Sondermann, A. Senss, F. van Valen, H. Jürgens, and J. Vormoor, “PI3K/AKT is involved in mediating survival signals that rescue Ewing tumour cells from fibroblast growth factor 2-induced cell death,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 705–710, 2005.
- L. Rui, T. L. Fisher, J. Thomas, and M. F. White, “Regulation of insulin/insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling by proteasome-mediated degradation of insulin receptor substrate-2,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 43, pp. 40362–40367, 2001.
- B. Ogretmen and Y. A. Hannun, “Biologically active sphingolipids in cancer pathogenesis and treatment,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 604–616, 2004.
- M. Eto, J. Bennouna, O. C. Hunter et al., “C16 ceramide accumulates following androgen ablation in LNCaP prostate cancer cells,” Prostate, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 66–79, 2003.
- M. Sauane, Z. Z. Su, R. Dash et al., “Ceramide plays a prominent role in MDA-7/IL-24-induced cancer-specific apoptosis,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 546–555, 2010.
- G. Seumois, M. Fillet, L. Gillet et al., “De novo C16- and C24-ceramide generation contributes to spontaneous neutrophil apoptosis,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 1477–1486, 2007.
- W. J. van Blitterswijk, A. H. van der Luit, R. J. Veldman, M. Verheij, and J. Borst, “Ceramide: second messenger or modulator of membrane structure and dynamics?” Biochemical Journal, vol. 369, no. 2, pp. 199–211, 2003.
- M. Remacle-Bonnet, F. Garrouste, G. Baillat, F. Andre, J. Marvaldi, and G. Pommier, “Membrane rafts segregate pro- from anti-apoptotic insulin-like growth factor-I receptor signaling in colon carcinoma cells stimulated by members of the tumor necrosis factor superfamily,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 761–773, 2005.
- B. Pennarun, A. Meijer, E. G. E. de Vries, J. H. Kleibeuker, F. Kruyt, and S. de Jong, “Playing the DISC: turning on TRAIL death receptor-mediated apoptosis in cancer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1805, no. 2, pp. 123–140, 2010.
- A. Kawakami, T. Nakashima, M. Tsuboi et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I stimulates proliferation and Fas-mediated apoptosis of human osteoblasts,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 247, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 1998.
- A. Saini, N. Al-Shanti, S. H. Faulkner, and C. E. Stewart, “Pro- and anti-apoptotic roles for IGF-I in TNF-α-induced apoptosis: a MAP kinase mediated mechanism,” Growth Factors, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 239–253, 2008.
- C. U. Niesler, B. Urso, J. B. Prins, and K. Siddle, “IGF-I inhibits apoptosis induced by serum withdrawal, but potentiates TNF-α-induced apoptosis, in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 165–174, 2000.
- C. Mauz-Körholz, M. Kachel, B. Harms-Schirra, A. Klein-Vehne, P. U. Tunn, and D. Körholz, “Drug-induced caspase-3 activation in a Ewing tumor cell line and primary Ewing tumor cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 145–149, 2004.
- P. Schotte, W. Declercq, S. Van Huffel, P. Vandenabeele, and R. Beyaert, “Non-specific effects of methyl ketone peptide inhibitors of caspases,” Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters, vol. 442, no. 1, pp. 117–121, 1999.
- T. J. Smith, “Insulin-like growth factor-I regulation of immune function: a potential therapeutic target in autoimmune diseases?” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 199–236, 2010.
- R. Kooijman, M. Willems, G. T. Rijkers et al., “Effects of insulin-like growth factors and growth hormone on the in vitro proliferation of T lymphocytes,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 95–104, 1992.
- C. J. Auernhammer, H. Feldmeier, R. Nass, K. Pachmann, and C. J. Strasburger, “Insulin-like growth factor I is an independent coregulatory modulator of natural killer (NK) cell activity,” Endocrinology, vol. 137, no. 12, pp. 5332–5336, 1996.
- E. Liu, H. K. W. Law, and Y. L. Lau, “Insulin-like growth factor I promotes maturation and inhibits apoptosis of immature cord blood monocyte-derived dendritic cells through MEK and PI 3-kinase pathways,” Pediatric Research, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 919–925, 2003.
- G. De Angulo, M. Hernandez, J. Morales-Arias et al., “Early lymphocyte recovery as a prognostic indicator for high-risk Ewing sarcoma,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 48–52, 2007.
- A. Suminoe, A. Matsuzaki, H. Hattori, Y. Koga, and T. Hara, “Immunotherapy with autologous dendritic cells and tumor antigens for children with refractory malignant solid tumors,” Pediatric Transplantation, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 746–753, 2009.
- D. Cho, D. R. Shook, N. Shimasaki, Y. H. Chang, H. Fujisaki, and D. Campana, “Cytotoxicity of activated natural killer cells against pediatric solid tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 15, pp. 3901–3909, 2010.
- A. L. Ho and G. K. Schwartz, “Targeting of insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor in Ewing sarcoma: unfulfilled promise or a promising beginning?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4581–4583, 2011.
- H. Jürgens, N. C. Daw, B. Geoerger, et al., “Preliminary efficacy of the anti-insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor antibody figitumumab in patients with refractory Ewing sarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4534–4540, 2011.