- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 960194, 7 pages
FDG PET/CT in Initial Staging of Adult Soft-Tissue Sarcoma
1Department of Radiation Oncology, McGill University Health Centre, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1A4
2Department of Radiation Oncology, Notre-Dame Hospital, CHUM, 1560 Sherbrooke Street East, Montreal, QC, Canada H2L 4M1
3Department of Nuclear Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1A4
4Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, McGill University Health Centre, 1650 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, QC, Canada H3G 1A4
Received 9 September 2012; Accepted 8 November 2012
Academic Editor: Alberto Pappo
Copyright © 2012 David Roberge et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Siegel, E. Ward, O. Brawley, et al., “Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, pp. 212–236, 2011.
- L. Mariani, R. Miceli, M. W. Kattan et al., “Validation and adaptation of a nomogram for predicting the survival of patients with extremity soft tissue sarcoma using a three-grade system,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 402–408, 2005.
- D. A. Potter, J. Glenn, T. Kinsella, et al., “Patterns of recurrence in patients with high-grade soft-tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 353–366, 1985.
- D. M. King, D. A. Hackbarth, C. M. Kilian, and G. F. Carrera, “Soft-tissue sarcoma metastases identified on abdomen and pelvis CT imaging,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 467, no. 11, pp. 2838–2844, 2009.
- C. Conill, X. Setoain, L. Colomo et al., “Diagnostic efficacy of bone scintigraphy, magnetic resonance imaging, and positron emission tomography in bone metastases of myxoid liposarcoma,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 625–628, 2008.
- L. C. Moreau, R. Turcotte, P. Ferguson, et al., “Myxoid\round cell liposarcoma (MRCLS) revisited: an analysis of 418 primarily managed cases,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 19, pp. 1081–1088, 2012.
- R. J. Hicks, G. C. Toner, and P. F. Choong, “Clinical applications of molecular imaging in sarcoma evaluation,” Cancer Imaging, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 66–72, 2005.
- M. R. Benz, J. Czernin, M. S. Allen-Auerbach et al., “FDG-PET/CT imaging predicts histopathologic treatment responses after the initial cycle of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in high-grade soft-tissue sarcomas,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2856–2863, 2009.
- A. L. Folpe, R. H. Lyles, J. T. Sprouse, E. U. Conrad, and J. F. Eary, “(F-18) fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography as a predictor of pathologic grade and other prognostic variables in bone and soft tissue sarcoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1279–1287, 2000.
- E. Bastiaannet, B. Groen, P. L. Jager et al., “The value of FDG-PET in the detection, grading and response to therapy of soft tissue and bone sarcomas; a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 83–101, 2004.
- J. F. Eary, F. O'Sullivan, Y. Powitan et al., “Sarcoma tumor FDG uptake measured by PET and patient outcome: a retrospective analysis,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1149–1154, 2002.
- D. Roberge, M. Hickeson, M. Charest, and R. E. Turcotte, “Initial McGill experience with fluorodeoxyglucose PET/CT staging of soft-tissue sarcoma,” Current Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 18–22, 2010.
- M. Charest, M. Hickeson, R. Lisbona, J. A. Novales-Diaz, V. Derbekyan, and R. E. Turcotte, “FDG PET/CT imaging in primary osseous and soft tissue sarcomas: a retrospective review of 212 cases,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1944–1951, 2009.
- J. D. Lucas, M. J. O'Doherty, J. C. H. Wong et al., “Evaluation of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the management of soft-tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 441–447, 1998.
- M. H. M. Schwarzbach, A. Dimitrakopoulou-Strauss, F. Willeke et al., “Clinical value of [18-F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography imaging in soft tissue sarcomas,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 3, pp. 380–386, 2000.
- G. R. Johnson, H. Zhuang, J. Khan, S. B. Chiang, and A. Alavi, “Roles of positron emission tomography with fluorine-18-deoxyglucose in the detection of local recurrent and distant metastatic sarcoma,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 815–820, 2003.
- R. Kumar, A. Chauhan, A. K. Vellimana, and M. Chawla, “Role of PET/PET-CT in the management of sarcomas,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1241–1250, 2006.
- G. C. Toner and R. J. Hicks, “PET for sarcomas other than gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Oncologist, vol. 13, supplement 2, pp. 22–26, 2008.
- U. Tateishi, U. Yamaguchi, K. Seki, T. Terauchi, Y. Arai, and E. E. Kim, “Bone and soft-tissue sarcoma: preoperative staging with fluorine 18 fluorodeoxyglucose PET/CT and conventional imaging,” Radiology, vol. 245, no. 3, pp. 839–847, 2007.
- A. Iagaru, A. Quon, I. R. McDougall, and S. S. Gambhir, “F-18 FDG PET/CT evaluation of osseous and soft tissue sarcomas,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 754–760, 2006.
- E. Piperkova, M. Mikhaeil, A. Mousavi et al., “Impact of PET and CT in PET/CT studies for staging and evaluating treatment response in bone and soft tissue sarcomas,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 146–150, 2009.
- W. De Wever, L. Meylaerts, L. Ceuninck, S. Stroobants, and J. A. Verschakelen, “Additional value of integrated PET-CT in the detection and characterization of lung metastases: correlation with CT alone and PET alone,” European Radiology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 467–473, 2007.