- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 160295, 8 pages
Intercalary Reconstructions with Vascularised Fibula and Allograft after Tumour Resection in the Lower Limb
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 5, 8036 Graz, Austria
Received 3 February 2013; Revised 9 April 2013; Accepted 28 April 2013
Academic Editor: Per-Ulf Tunn
Copyright © 2013 Katharina Rabitsch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. W. Huh, C. Yuen, M. Munsell, A. Hayes-Jordan, A. J. Lazar, et al., “Liposarcoma in children and young adults: a multi-institutional experience,” Pediatric Blood & Cancer, vol. 57, pp. 1142–1146, 2011.
- E. J. Stanelle, E. R. Christison-Lagay, E. L. Sidebotham et al., “Prognostic factors and survival in pediatric and adolescent liposarcoma,” Sarcoma, vol. 2012, Article ID 870910, 6 pages, 2012.
- P. X. Tan, B. C. Yong, J. Wang et al., “Analysis of the efficacy and prognosis of limb-salvage surgery for osteosarcoma around the knee,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 38, pp. 1171–1177, 2012.
- G. Bacci, A. Briccoli, S. Ferrari et al., “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for osteosarcoma of the extremity: long-term results of the Rizzoli's 4th protocol,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 37, no. 16, pp. 2030–2039, 2001.
- E. Arpaci, T. Yetisyigit, M. Seker, D. Uncu, U. Uyeturk, et al., “Prognostic factors and clinical outcome of patients with Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors in adults: multicentric study of the anatolian society of medical oncology,” Medical Oncology, vol. 30, p. 469, 2013.
- M. J. Krasin, A. M. Davidoff, C. Rodriguez-Galindo et al., “Definitive surgery and multiagent systemic therapy for patients with localized ewing sarcoma family of tumors: local outcome and prognostic factors,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 367–373, 2005.
- M. A. Simon, M. A. Aschliman, N. Thomas, and H. J. Mankin, “Limb-salvage treatment versus amputation for osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur: commentary,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 87, no. 12, p. 2822, 2005.
- D. L. Muscolo, M. A. Ayerza, L. A. Aponte-Tinao, and M. Ranalletta, “Partial epiphyseal preservation and intercalary allograft reconstruction in high-grade metaphyseal osteosarcoma of the knee,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 2686–2693, 2004.
- B. Fuchs, C. Ossendorf, T. Leerapun, and F. H. Sim, “Intercalary segmental reconstruction after bone tumor resection,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1271–1276, 2008.
- R. C. Thompson, A. Garg, D. R. Clohisy, and E. Y. Cheng, “Fractures in large segment allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 370, pp. 227–235, 2000.
- M. San-Julian and J. Cañadell, “Fractures of allografts used in limb preserving operations,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 1998.
- M. San Julian Aranguren, M. Leyes, G. Mora, and J. Canadell, “Consolidation of massive bone allografts in limb-preserving operations for bone tumours,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 377–382, 1995.
- M. Ceruso, F. Taddei, P. Bigazzi, and M. Manfrini, “Vascularised fibula graft inlaid in a massive bone allograft: considerations on the bio-mechanical behaviour of the combined graft in segmental bone reconstructions after sarcoma resection,” Injury, vol. 39, supplement 3, pp. S68–S74, 2008.
- T. H. Chen, W. M. Chen, and C. K. Huang, “Reconstruction after intercalary resection of malignant bone tumours. Comparison between segmental allograft and extracorporeally-irradiated autograft,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 704–709, 2005.
- M. N. Zimel, A. M. Cizik, T. B. Rapp, J. S. Weisstein, and E. U. Conrad, “Megaprosthesis versus condyle-sparing intercalary allograft: distal femoral sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 467, no. 11, pp. 2813–2824, 2009.
- D. L. Muscolo, M. A. Ayerza, L. Aponte-Tinao, M. Ranalletta, and E. Abalo, “Intercalary femur and tibia segmental allografts provide an acceptable alternative in reconstructing tumor resections,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 426, pp. 97–102, 2004.
- E. Ortiz-Cruz, M. C. Gebhardt, L. C. Jennings, D. S. Springfield, and H. J. Mankin, “The results of transplantation of intercalary allografts after resection of tumors. A long-term follow-up study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 97–106, 1997.
- R. L. M. Deijkers, R. M. Bloem, H. M. Kroon, J. B. Van Lent, R. Brand, and A. H. M. Taminiau, “Epidiaphyseal versus other intercalary allografts for tumors of the lower limb,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 439, pp. 151–160, 2005.
- B. J. Miller and W. W. Virkus, “Intercalary allograft reconstructions using a compressible intramedullary nail: a preliminary report,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 9, pp. 2507–2513, 2010.
- L. E. Ramseier, T. I. Malinin, H. T. Temple, W. A. Mnaymneh, and G. U. Exner, “Allograft reconstruction for bone sarcoma of the tibia in the growing child,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 95–99, 2006.
- C. H. Gerrand, A. M. Griffin, A. M. Davis, A. E. Gross, R. S. Bell, and J. S. Wunder, “Large segment allograft survival is improved with intramedullary cement,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 198–208, 2003.
- B. A. Alman, A. De Bari, and J. I. Krajbich, “Massive allografts in the treatment of osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma in children and adolescents,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 54–64, 1995.
- J. A. Cara, A. Lacleriga, and J. Canadell, “Intercalary bone allografts: 23 tumor cases followed for 3 years,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 42–46, 1994.
- R. Pollock, P. Stalley, K. Lee, and D. Pennington, “Free vascularized fibula grafts in limb-salvage surgery,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 79–84, 2005.
- R. W. W. Hsu, M. B. Wood, F. H. Sim, and E. Y. S. Chao, “Free vascularised fibular grafting for reconstruction after tumour resection,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 36–42, 1997.
- A. Zaretski, A. Amir, I. Meller et al., “Free fibula long bone reconstruction in orthopedic oncology: a surgical algorithm for reconstructive options,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1989–2000, 2004.
- T. A. El-Gammal, A. El-Sayed, and M. M. Kotb, “Microsurgical reconstruction of lower limb bone defects following tumor resection using vascularized fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap,” Microsurgery, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 193–198, 2002.
- S. M. Amr, A. O. El-Mofty, S. N. Amin, A. M. Morsy, O. M. El-Malt, and H. A. Abdel-Aal, “Reconstruction after resection of tumors around the knee: role of the free vascularized fibular graft,” Microsurgery, vol. 20, pp. 233–251, 2000.
- Y. F. Yang, G. M. Zhang, Z. H. Xu, and J. W. Wang, “Homeochronous usage of structural bone allografts with vascularized fibular autografts for biological repair of massive bone defects in the lower extremities after bone tumor excision,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 109–115, 2010.
- R. Capanna, D. A. Campanacci, N. Belot et al., “A new reconstructive technique for intercalary defects of long bones: the association of massive allograft with vascularized fibular autograft. long-term results and comparison with alternative techniques,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2007.
- J. Li, Z. Wang, Z. Guo, G. J. Chen, S. W. Li, and G. X. Pei, “The use of massive allograft with intramedullary fibular graft for intercalary reconstruction after resection of tibial malignancy,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 2011.
- J. Li, Z. Wang, Z. Guo, G. J. Chen, J. Fu, and G. X. Pei, “The use of allograft shell with intramedullary vascularized fibula graft for intercalary reconstruction after diaphyseal resection for lower extremity bony malignancy,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 368–374, 2010.
- T. Jager, P. Journeau, G. Dautel, S. Barbary, T. Haumont, and P. Lascombes, “Is combining massive bone allograft with free vascularized fibular flap the children's reconstruction answer to lower limb defects following bone tumour resection?” Orthopaedics and Traumatology, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 340–347, 2010.
- M. Innocenti, Y. Y. Abed, G. Beltrami, L. Delcroix, M. Manfrini, and R. Capanna, “Biological reconstruction after resection of bone tumors of the proximal tibia using allograft shell and intramedullary free vascularized fibular graft: lsong-term results,” Microsurgery, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 361–372, 2009.
- Y. Y. Abed, G. Beltrami, D. A. Campanacci, M. Innocenti, G. Scoccianti, and R. Capanna, “Biological reconstruction after resection of bone tumours around the knee: long-term follow-up,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 1366–1372, 2009.
- S. L. Moran, A. Y. Shin, and A. T. Bishop, “The use of massive bone allograft with intramedullary free fibular flap for limb salvage in a pediatric and adolescent population,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2006.
- L. Bernd, D. Sabo, A. Zahlten-Hinguranage, P. Niemeyer, W. Daecke, and H. G. Simank, “Experience with a vascularized fibular graft for reconstruction of osseous defects after resection of primary malignant bone tumors,” Orthopade, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 983–993, 2003.
- J. Hennen, D. Sabo, A. K. Martini, and L. Bernd, “Combined vascularized fibula and allograft shell after resection of primary malignant bone tumors of the lower limb,” Unfallchirurg, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 120–127, 2002.
- T. Ozaki, A. Hillmann, P. Wuisman, and W. Winkelmann, “Reconstruction of tibia by ipsilateral vascularized fibula and allograft. 12 cases with malignant bone tumors,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 298–301, 1997.
- A. H. Krieg and F. Hefti, “Reconstruction with non-vascularised fibular grafts after resection of bone tumours,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 215–221, 2007.
- S. Shalaby, H. Shalaby, and A. Bassiony, “Limb salvage for osteosarcoma of the distal tibia with resection arthrodesis, autogenous fibular graft and Ilizarov external fixator,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 1642–1646, 2006.
- S. A. Hanna, M. D. Sewell, W. J. S. Aston et al., “Femoral diaphyseal endoprosthetic reconstruction after segmental resection of primary bone tumours,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 867–874, 2010.
- P. Ruggieri, A. F. Mavrogenis, G. Bianchi, V. I. Sakellariou, M. Mercuri, and P. J. Papagelopoulos, “Outcome of the intramedullary diaphyseal segmental defect fixation system for bone tumors,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 104, pp. 83–90, 2011.
- A. Abudu, S. R. Carter, and R. J. Grimer, “The outcome and functional results of diaphyseal endoprostheses after tumour excision,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 652–657, 1996.
- E. Aldlyami, A. Abudu, R. J. Grimer, S. R. Carter, and R. M. Tillman, “Endoprosthetic replacement of diaphyseal bone defects. Long-term results,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2005.
- E. R. Ahlmann and L. R. Menendez, “Intercalary endoprosthetic reconstruction for diaphyseal bone tumours,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1487–1491, 2006.
- J. S. Wunder, J. H. Healey, A. M. Davis, and M. F. Brennan, “A comparison of staging systems for localized extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 88, pp. 2721–2730, 2000.
- E. J. Fox, M. A. Hau, M. C. Gebhardt, F. J. Hornicek, W. W. Tomford, and H. J. Mankin, “Long-term followup of proximal femoral allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 397, pp. 106–113, 2002.
- F. J. Hornicek, M. C. Gebhardt, J. I. Sorger, and H. J. Mankin, “Tumor reconstruction,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 673–684, 1999.
- H. J. Mankin, D. S. Springfield, M. C. Gebhardt, and W. W. Tomford, “Current status of allografting for bone tumors,” Orthopedics, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1147–1154, 1992.
- H. J. Mankin, M. C. Gebhardt, L. C. Jennings, D. S. Springfield, and W. W. Tomford, “Long-term results of allograft replacement in the management of bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 324, pp. 86–97, 1996.
- M. Manfrini, A. Gasbarrini, C. Malaguti et al., “Intraepiphyseal resection of the proximal tibia and its impact on lower limb growth,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 358, pp. 111–119, 1999.
- M. C. Gebhardt, D. I. Flugstad, D. S. Springfield, and H. J. Mankin, “The use of bone allografts for limb salvage in high-grade extremity osteosarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 270, pp. 181–196, 1991.
- B. H. Berrey, C. F. Lord, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Fractures of allografts. Frequency, treatment, and end-results,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 825–833, 1990.
- D. Donati, M. Di Liddo, M. Zavatta et al., “Massive bone allograft reconstruction in high-grade osteosarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 377, pp. 186–194, 2000.
- J. W. Wang and C. H. Shih, “Allograft transplantation in aggressive or malignant bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 297, pp. 203–209, 1993.
- W. F. Enneking and D. A. Campanacci, “Retrieved human allografts. A clinicopathological study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 971–986, 2001.
- W. F. Enneking and E. R. Mindell, “Observations on massive retrieved human allografts,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1123–1142, 1991.
- D. W. Chang and K. L. Weber, “Segmental femur reconstruction using an intercalary allograft with an intramedullary vascularized fibula bone flap,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 195–199, 2004.
- K. Bakri, A. A. Stans, S. Mardini, and S. L. Moran, “Combined massive allograft and intramedullary vascularized fibula transfer: the capanna technique for lower-limb reconstruction,” Seminars in Plastic Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 234–241, 2008.