- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 205832, 8 pages
Bilateral Fibular Graft: Biological Reconstruction after Resection of Primary Malignant Bone Tumors of the Lower Limb
1Centre of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, Department of Oncologic Surgery, Sarcoma Centre Berlin-Brandenburg, HELIOS Klinikum Berlin Buch, Schwanebecker Chaussee 50, 13125 Berlin, Germany
2Department of Vascular Surgery, Sarcoma Centre Berlin-Brandenburg, HELIOS Klinikum Berlin Buch, Schwanebecker Chaussee 50, 13125 Berlin, Germany
3Department of Pathology, Sarcoma Centre Berlin-Brandenburg, HELIOS Klinikum Emil von Behring, Walterhöferstraße 11, 14165 Berlin, Germany
Received 14 December 2012; Revised 16 February 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editor: Andreas Leithner
Copyright © 2013 Maya Niethard et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Bernd, D. Sabo, A. Zahlten-Hinguranage, P. Niemeyer, W. Daecke, and H. G. Simank, “Experience with a vascularized fibular graft for reconstruction of osseous defects after resection of primary malignant bone tumors,” Orthopade, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 983–993, 2003.
- J. Hennen, D. Sabo, A. K. Martini, and L. Bernd, “Combined vascularized fibula and allograft shell after resection of primary malignant bone tumors of the lower limb,” Unfallchirurg, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 120–127, 2002.
- F. Mittermayer, P. Krepler, M. Dominkus et al., “Long-term followup of uncemented tumor endoprostheses for the lower extremity,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 388, pp. 167–177, 2001.
- A. J. Weiland, T. W. Phillips, and M. A. Randolph, “Bone grafts: a radiologic, histologic, and biomechanical model comparing autografts, allografts, and free vascularized bone grafts,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 368–379, 1984.
- S. J. Ham, H. S. Koops, R. P. H. Veth, J. R. van Horn, W. M. Molenaar, and H. J. Hoekstra, “Limb salvage surgery for primary bone sarcoma of the lower extremities: long-term consequences of endoprosthetic reconstructions,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 423–436, 1998.
- A. Kawai, G. F. Muschler, J. M. Lane, J. C. Otis, and J. H. Healey, “Prosthetic knee replacement after resection of a malignant tumor of the distal part of the femur: medium to long-term results,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 636–647, 1998.
- E. N. Zeegen, L. A. Aponte-Tinao, F. J. Hornicek, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Survivorship analysis of 141 modular metallic endoprostheses at early followup,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 420, pp. 239–250, 2004.
- B. E. Brigman, F. J. Hornicek, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Allografts about the knee in young patients with high-grade sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 421, pp. 232–239, 2004.
- H. M. Dick and R. J. Strauch, “Infection of massive bone allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 306, pp. 46–53, 1994.
- D. Donati, M. Di Liddo, M. Zavatta et al., “Massive bone allograft reconstruction in high-grade osteosarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 377, pp. 186–194, 2000.
- H. J. Mankin, “The changes in major limb reconstruction as a result of the development of allografts,” La Chirurgia degli Organi di Movimento, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 101–113, 2003.
- T. Ozaki, Y. Nakatsuka, T. Kunisada et al., “High complication rate of reconstruction using Ilizarov bone transport method in patients with bone sarcomas,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 136–139, 1998.
- P. Wuisman, F. Gohlke, and A. Witlox, “Allografts for reconstruction of osseous defects in primary malignant bone tumors,” Orthopade, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 994–1002, 2003.
- M. Ceruso, C. Falcone, M. Innocenti, L. Delcroix, R. Capanna, and M. Manfrini, “Skeletal reconstruction with a free vascularized fibula graft associated to bone allograft after resection of malignant bone tumor of limbs,” Handchirurgie Mikrochirurgie Plastische Chirurgie, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 277–282, 2001.
- M. Manfrini, “The role of vascularized fibula in skeletal reconstruction,” La Chirurgia degli Organi di Movimento, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 2003.
- S. Mottard, R. J. Grimer, A. Abudu, et al., “Biological reconstruction after excision, irradiation and reimplantation of diaphyseal tibial tumours using an ipsilateral vascularised fibular graft,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery B, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1282–1287, 2012.
- K. L. Pan, W. H. Chan, G. B. Ong, et al., “Limb salvage in osteosarcoma using autoclaved tumor-bearing bone,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, article 105, 2012.
- A. Puri, A. Gulia, N. A. Jambhekar, and S. Laskar, “The outcome of the treatment of diaphyseal primary bone sarcoma by resection, irradiation and re-implantation of the host bone: extracorporeal irradiation as an option for reconstruction in diaphyseal bone sarcomas,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery B, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 982–988, 2012.
- A. Banic and R. Hertel, “Double vascularized fibulas for reconstruction of large tibial defects,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 421–428, 1993.
- M. T. Chen, M. C. Chang, C. M. Chen, and T. H. Chen, “Double-strut free vascular fibular grafting for reconstruction of the lower extremities,” Injury, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 763–769, 2003.
- T. A. El-Gammal, A. El-Sayed, and M. M. Kotb, “Hypertrophy after free vascularized fibular transfer to the lower limb,” Microsurgery, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 367–370, 2002.
- T. A. El-Gammal, A. El-Sayed, and M. M. Kotb, “Microsurgical reconstruction of lower limb bone defects following tumor resection using vascularized fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap,” Microsurgery, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 193–198, 2002.
- T. A. El-Gammal, A. El-Sayed, and M. M. Kotb, “Reconstruction of lower limb bone defects after sarcoma resection in children and adolescents using free vascularized fibular transfer,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 233–243, 2003.
- M. Gerwin and A. J. Weiland, “Vascularized bone grafts to the upper extremity: indications and technique,” Hand Clinics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 509–523, 1992.
- K. Muramatsu, K. Ihara, M. Shigetomi, and S. Kawai, “Femoral reconstruction by single, folded or double free vascularised fibular grafts,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 550–555, 2004.
- R. Pollock, P. Stalley, K. Lee, and D. Pennington, “Free vascularized fibula grafts in limb-salvage surgery,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 79–84, 2005.
- G. I. Taylor, “The current status of free vascularized bone grafts,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 185–209, 1983.
- Y. Tomita, K. Murota, F. Takahashi, M. Moriyama, and M. Beppu, “Postoperative results of vascularized double fibula grafts for femoral pseudoarthrosis with large bony defect,” Microsurgery, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 316–321, 1994.
- P. J. Millett, J. M. Lane, and G. A. Paletta Jr., “Limb salvage using distraction osteogenesis,” American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 628–632, 2000.
- H. Tsuchiya, K. Tomita, K. Minematsu, Y. Mori, N. Asada, and S. Kitano, “Limb salvage using distraction osteogenesis. A classification of the technique,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 403–411, 1997.
- W. F. Enneking, W. Dunham, M. C. Gebhardt, M. Malawar, and D. J. Pritchard, “A system for the functional evaluation of reconstructive procedures after surgical treatment of tumors of the musculoskeletal system,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 286, pp. 241–246, 1993.
- M. Salzer-Kuntschik, “Comprehensive classification of primary malignant tumors of bone,” Zeitschrift fur Orthopadie und Ihre Grenzgebiete, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 257–258, 1992.
- R. Capanna, D. A. Campanacci, N. Belot et al., “A new reconstructive technique for intercalary defects of long bones: the association of massive allograft with vascularized fibular autograft. Long-term results and comparison with alternative techniques,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2007.
- Y. Y. Abed, G. Beltrami, D. A. Campanacci, M. Innocenti, G. Scoccianti, and R. Capanna, “Biological reconstruction after resection of bone tumours around the knee: long-term follow-up,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 1366–1372, 2009.
- O. Brunet, P. Anract, S. Bouabid et al., “Intercalary defects reconstruction of the femur and tibia after primary malignant bone tumour resection. A series of 13 cases,” Orthopaedics and Traumatology, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 512–519, 2011.
- T. Frisoni, L. Cevolani, A. Giorgini, B. Dozza, and D. M. Donati, “Factors affecting outcome of massive intercalary bone allografts in the treatment of tumours of the femur,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery B, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 836–841, 2012.
- A. Zaretski, A. Amir, I. Meller et al., “Free fibula long bone reconstruction in orthopedic oncology: a surgical algorithm for reconstructive options,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1989–2000, 2004.
- S. M. Amr, A. O. El-Mofty, S. N. Amin, A. M. Morsy, O. M. El-Malt, and H. A. Abdel-Aal, “Reconstruction after resection of tumors around the knee: role of the free vascularized fibular graft,” Microsurgery, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 233–251, 2000.
- K. L. B. Brown, “Limb reconstruction with vascularized fibular grafts after bone tumor resection,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 262, pp. 64–73, 1991.
- K. Tanaka, H. Maehara, and F. Kanaya, “Vascularized fibular graft for bone defects after wide resection of musculoskeletal tumors,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2012.
- K. Arai, S. Toh, K. Tsubo, S. Nishikawa, S. Narita, and H. Miura, “Complications of vascularized fibula graft for reconstruction of long bones,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 2301–2306, 2002.
- S. S. Yadav, “Dual-fibular grafting for massive bone gaps in the lower extremity,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 486–494, 1990.
- A. Zaretski, E. Gur, Y. Kollander, I. Meller, and S. Dadia, “Biological reconstruction of bone defects: the role of the free fibula flap,” Journal of Children's Orthopaedics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 241–249, 2011.
- A. F. Mavrogenis, E. Pala, M. Romantini, et al., “Side effects of radiation in musculoskeletal oncology: clinical evaluation of radiation-induced fractures,” International Journal of Immunopathology & Pharmacology, vol. 24, no. 1, supplement 2, pp. 29–37, 2011.