- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 256280, 6 pages
Low-Grade Fibromyxoid Sarcoma: Incidence, Treatment Strategy of Metastases, and Clinical Significance of the FUS Gene
1Sarcoma Centre of Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
2Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
3Department of Pathology, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
4Department of Orthopaedic Surgery E5, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
5Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Received 25 February 2013; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: R. Pollock
Copyright © 2013 Katja Maretty-Nielsen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. L. Evans, “Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma. A report of two metastasizing neoplasms having a deceptively benign appearance,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 615–619, 1987.
- H. L. Evans, “Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: a report of 12 cases,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 595–600, 1993.
- C. T. Storlazzi, F. Mertens, A. Nascimento et al., “Fusion of the FUS and BBF2H7 genes in low grade fibromyxoid sarcoma,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 12, no. 18, pp. 2349–2358, 2003.
- R. Reid, M. V. C. De Silva, L. Paterson, E. Ryan, and C. Fisher, “Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma and hyalinizing spindle cell tumor with giant rosettes share a common T(7;16)(q34;p11) translocation,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1229–1236, 2003.
- K. Maretty-Nielsen, N. Aggerholm-Pedersen, J. Keller, A. Safwat, S. Baerentzen, and A. B. Pedersen, “Population-based Aarhus Sarcoma Registry: validity, completeness of registration, and incidence of bone and soft tissue sarcomas in western Denmark,” Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2013.
- Statistics Denmark, Population Denmark, 2013.
- W. F. Enneking, S. S. Spanier, and M. Goodman, “A system for the surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 153, pp. 106–120, 1980.
- G. M. Lindberg, A. Maitra, S. T. Gokaslan, M. H. Saboorian, and J. Albores-Saavedra, “Low grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: fine-needle aspiration cytology with histologic, cytogenetic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural correlation,” Cancer, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 75–82, 1999.
- H. A. Domanski, F. Mertens, I. Panagopoulos, and M. Åkerman, “Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma is difficult to diagnose by fine needle aspiration cytology: a cytomorphological study of eight cases,” Cytopathology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 304–314, 2009.
- A. Sørensen, J. Keller, O. S. Nielsen, and O. M. Jensen, “Treatment of aggressive fibromatosis: a retrospective study of 72 patients followed for 1-27 years,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 213–219, 2002.
- A. L. Folpe, K. L. Lane, G. Paull, and S. W. Weiss, “Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma and hyalinizing spindle cell tumor with giant rosettes: a clinicopathologic study of 73 cases supporting their identity and assessing the impact of high-grade areas,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1353–1360, 2000.
- F. Mertens, C. D. M. Fletcher, C. R. Antonescu et al., “Clinicopathologic and molecular genetic characterization of low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma, and cloning of a novel FUS/CREB3L1 fusion gene,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 408–415, 2005.
- I. Panagopoulos, C. T. Storlazzi, C. D. M. Fletcher et al., “The chimeric FUS/CREB3L2 gene is specific for low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 218–228, 2004.
- B. Rose, G. S. Tamvakopoulos, K. Dulay et al., “The clinical significance of the FUS-CREB3L2 translocation in low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma,” Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, vol. 6, no. 1, article no. 15, 2011.
- A. Matsuyama, M. Hisaoka, S. Shimajiri et al., “Molecular detection of FUS-CREB3L2 fusion transcripts in low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma using formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue specimens,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1077–1084, 2006.
- P. W. T. Pisters, D. H. Y. Leung, J. Woodruff, W. Shi, and M. F. Brennan, “Analysis of prognostic factors in 1,041 patients with localized soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1679–1689, 1996.
- G. K. Zagars, M. T. Ballo, P. W. T. Pisters et al., “Prognostic factors for patients with localized soft-tissue sarcoma treated with conservation surgery and radiation therapy: an analysis of 1225 patients,” Cancer, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 2530–2543, 2003.
- P. Gustafson, “Soft tisue sarcoma: epidemiology and prognosis in 508 patients,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 259, pp. 1–31, 1994.
- S. H. Estourgie, G. P. Nielsen, and M. J. Ott, “Metastatic patterns of extremity myxoid liposarcoma and their outcome,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 89–93, 2002.
- J. H. Schwab, P. Boland, T. Guo et al., “Skeletal metastases in myxoid liposarcoma: an unusual pattern of distant spread,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1507–1514, 2007.
- J. R. Goodlbd, T. Mentzel, and C. D. M. Fletcher, “Low grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: clinicopathological analysis of eleven new cases in support of a distinct entity,” Histopathology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 229–237, 1995.
- A. L. Cesne, S. Cresta, R. G. Maki et al., “A retrospective analysis of antitumour activity with trabectedin in translocation-related sarcomas,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 48, no. 16, pp. 3036–3044, 2012.