- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 316123, 9 pages
Osteosarcoma: A Comparison of Jaw versus Nonjaw Localizations and Review of the Literature
1Department of Pediatric Oncology, Emma Children Hospital Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Room G8-147, P.O. Box 22700, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2Medicines Evaluation Board, Utrecht, The Netherlands
3Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 18 February 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Cyril Fisher
Copyright © 2013 H. van den Berg et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Doval, R. V. Kumar, V. Kannan et al., “Osteosarcoma of the jaw bones,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 357–362, 1997.
- R. Delgado, E. Maafs, A. Alfeiran et al., “Osteosarcoma of the jaw,” Head and Neck, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 246–252, 1994.
- S. R. Gadwal, F. H. Gannon, J. C. Fanburg-Smith, E. M. Becoskie, and L. D. Thompson, “Primary osteosarcoma of the head and neck in pediatric patients: a clinicopathologic study of 22 cases with a review of the literature,” Cancer, vol. 91, pp. 598–605, 2001.
- F. Bertoni, P. Dallera, P. Bacchini, C. Marchetti, and A. Campobassi, “The Istituto Rizzoli-Beretta experience with osteosarcoma of the jaw,” Cancer, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 1555–1563, 1991.
- E. J. Raubenheimer and C. E. Noffke, “Low-grade intraosseous osteosarcoma of the jaws,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 82–85, 1998.
- A. S. Caron, S. I. Hajdu, and E. W. Strong, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the facial and cranial bones. A review of forty-three cases,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 719–725, 1971.
- G. E. Garrington, H. H. Scofield, J. Cornyn, and S. P. Hooker, “Osteosarcoma of the jaws. Analysis of 56 cases,” Cancer, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 377–391, 1967.
- D. Oda, L. M. Bavisotto, R. A. Schmidt et al., “Head and neck osteosarcoma at the University of Washington,” Head and Neck, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 513–523, 1997.
- J. J. Stein, “Osteogenic sarcoma (osteosarcoma): results of therapy,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 607–613, 1975.
- D. S. Vege, A. M. Borges, K. Aggrawal, G. Balasubramaniam, D. M. Parikh, and B. Bhaser, “Osteosarcoma of the craniofacial bones. A clinico-pathological study,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 90–93, 1991.
- “Osteogenic sarcoma of the mandible and maxilla: a Canadian review (1980–2000),” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 139–144, 2004.
- G. Forteza, B. Colmenero, and F. López-Barea, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the maxilla and mandible,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 179–184, 1986.
- K. K. Unni and D. C. Dahlin, “Osteosarcoma: pathology and classification,” Seminars in Roentgenology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 143–152, 1989.
- J. L. Clark, K. K. Unni, D. C. Dahlin, and K. D. Devine, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw,” Cancer, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 2311–2316, 1983.
- M. August, P. Magennis, and D. Dewitt, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaws: factors influencing prognosis,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 198–204, 1997.
- P. J. Slootweg and H. Muller, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw bones. Analysis of 18 cases,” Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 158–166, 1985.
- E. H. Nissanka, E. A. P. D. Amaratunge, and W. M. Tilakaratne, “Clinicopathological analysis of osteosarcoma of jaw bones,” Oral Diseases, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 2007.
- R. J. J. van Es, R. B. Keus, I. van der Waal, R. Koole, and A. Vermey, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw bones: long-term follow up of 48 cases,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 191–197, 1997.
- R. J. Padilla and V. A. Murrah, “The spectrum of gnathic osteosarcoma: caveats for the clinician and the pathologist,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 92–99, 2011.
- R. J. Mark, J. A. Sercarz, L. Tran, L. G. Dodd, M. Selch, and T. C. Calcaterra, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the head and neck: the UCLA experience,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 117, no. 7, pp. 761–766, 1991.
- A. T. Junior, A. F. de Abreu, C. A. Pinto, et al., “Clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of twenty-five head and neck osteosarcomas,” Oral Oncology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 521–530, 2003.
- W. W. Huh, F. C. Holsinger, A. Levy, F. S. L. Palla, and P. M. Anderson, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw in children and young adults,” Head and Neck, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 981–984, 2011.
- M. Lewis, A. Perl, P. M. Som, M. L. Urken, and M. S. Brandwein, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaw: a clinicopathologic review of 12 patients,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 1997.
- H. Tanzawa, S. Uchiyama, and K. Sato, “Statistical observation of osteosarcoma of the maxillofacial region in Japan. Analysis of 114 Japanese cases reported between 1930 and 1989,” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 444–448, 1991.
- R. B. Smith, L. W. Apostolakis, L. H. Karnell et al., “National cancer data base report on osteosarcoma of the head and neck,” Cancer, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 1670–1680, 2003.
- J. H. Bennett, G. Thomas, A. W. Evans, and P. M. Speight, “Osteosarcoma of the jaws: a 30-year retrospective review,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 323–332, 2000.
- J. B. McHugh, D. G. Thomas, J. M. Herman et al., “Primary versus radiation-associated craniofacial osteosarcoma: biologic and clinicopathologic comparisons,” Cancer, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 554–562, 2006.
- R. Fernandes, N. G. Nikitakis, A. Pazoki, and R. A. Ord, “Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaw: a 10-year experience,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1286–1291, 2007.
- S. Jasnau, U. Meyer, J. Potratz et al., “Craniofacial osteosarcoma. Experience of the cooperative German-Austrian-Swiss osteosarcoma study group,” Oral Oncology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 286–294, 2008.
- B. A. Guadagnolo, G. K. Zagars, A. K. Raymond, R. S. Benjamin, and E. M. Sturgis, “Osteosarcoma of the jaw/craniofacial region: outcomes after multimodality treatment,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 14, pp. 3262–3270, 2009.
- G. F. Huber, P. Dziegielewski, T. W. Matthews, and J. C. Dort, “Head and neck osteosarcoma in adults: the province of alberta experience over 26 years,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 738–743, 2008.
- P. K. Ha, D. W. Eisele, F. J. Frassica, M. L. Zahurak, and E. F. McCarthy, “Osteosarcoma of the head and neck: a review of the Johns Hopkins experience,” Laryngoscope, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 964–969, 1999.
- O. C. Thiele, K. Freier, C. Bacon, G. Egerer, and C. M. Hofele, “Interdisciplinary combined treatment of craniofacial osteosarcoma with neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy and excision of the tumour: a retrospective study,” British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 533–536, 2008.
- N. C. Daw, H. H. Mahmoud, W. H. Meyer, et al., “Bone sarcomas of the head and neck in children: the St Jude Children's Research Hospital experience,” Cancer, vol. 88, pp. 2172–2180, 2000.
- J. B. Little, “Radiation carcinogenesis,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 397–404, 2000.
- R. Doll, “Hazards of ionising radiation: 100 years of observations on man,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1339–1349, 1995.
- L. van der Putten, R. de Bree, D. J. Kuik, D. H. F. Rietveld, J. A. Langendijk, and C. R. Leemans, “Hypopharyngeal carcinoma after radiation for tuberculosis: radiation-induced carcinoma,” Oral Oncology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 672–677, 2010.
- C. Terret and J. P. Droz, “Editorial. The perception and dissemination of geriatric oncology,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 75, pp. 43–46, 2010.
- L. Sifer-Rivière, V. Girre, M. Gisselbrecht, and O. Saint-Jean, “Physicians' perceptions of cancer care for elderly patients: a qualitative sociological study based on a pilot geriatric oncology program,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 58–69, 2010.
- A. P. Silveira, J. Gonçalves, T. Sequeira et al., “Geriatric oncology: comparing health related quality of life in head and neck cancer patients,” Head and Neck Oncology, vol. 3, no. 1, article 3, 2011.
- V. Koka, R. Vericel, E. Lartigau, A. Lusinchi, and G. Schwaab, “Sarcomas of nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: chondrosarcoma, osteosarcoma and fibrosarcoma,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 947–953, 1994.
- M. Granados-Garcia, K. Luna-Ortiz, H. A. Castillo-Oliva et al., “Free osseous and soft tissue surgical margins as prognostic factors in mandibular osteosarcoma,” Oral Oncology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 172–176, 2006.
- L. E. Smeele, P. J. Kostense, I. van der Waal, and G. B. Snow, “Effect of chemotherapy on survival of craniofaciai osteosarcoma: a systematic review of 201 patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 363–367, 1997.
- R. R. Kassir, C. H. Rassekh, J. B. Kinsella, J. Segas, R. L. Carrau, and J. A. Hokanson, “Osteosarcoma of the head and neck: meta-analysis of nonrandomized studies,” Laryngoscope, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 56–61, 1997.
- A. M. Davis, R. S. Bell, and P. J. Goodwin, “Prognostic factors in osteosarcoma: a critical review,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 423–431, 1994.