- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 321201, 7 pages
The Vascularized Fibular Graft in the Pediatric Upper Extremity: A Durable, Biological Solution to Large Oncologic Defects
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, 200 Trent Drive, P.O. Box 2923, Durham, NC 27710, USA
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
3Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Received 17 June 2013; Revised 15 August 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editor: Akira Kawai
Copyright © 2013 Nicki Zelenski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Mercuri, R. Capanna, M. Manfrini et al., “The management of malignant bone tumors in children and adolescents,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 264, pp. 156–168, 1991.
- R. M. Wilkins and C. M. Miller, “Reoperation after limb preservation surgery for sarcomas of the knee in children,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 412, pp. 153–161, 2003.
- G. Quill, S. Gitelis, T. Morton, and P. Piasecki, “Complications associated with limb salvage for extremity sarcomas and their management,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 260, pp. 242–250, 1990.
- M. A. Ghert, A. Abudu, N. Driver et al., “The indications for and the prognostic significance of amputation as the primary surgical procedure for localized soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2005.
- B. H. Berrey Jr., C. F. Lord, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Fractures of allografts. Frequency, treatment, and end-results,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 825–833, 1990.
- P. J. Getty and T. D. Peabody, “Complications and functional outcomes of reconstruction with an osteoarticular allograft after intra-articular resection of the proximal aspect of the humerus,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1138–1146, 1999.
- R. J. Grimer, M. Belthur, S. R. Carter, R. M. Tillman, and P. Cool, “Extendible replacements of the proximal tibia for bone tumours,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 255–260, 2000.
- R. W. Rodl, T. Ozaki, C. Hoffmann, F. Bottner, N. Lindner, and W. Winkelman, “Osteoarticular allograft in surgery for high-grade malignant tumours of bone,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 1006–1010, 2000.
- G. I. Taylor and N. Watson, “One-stage repair of compound leg defects with free, revascularized flaps of groin skin and iliac bone,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 494–506, 1978.
- W. C. Eward, V. Kontogeorgakos, L. S. Levin, and B. E. Brigman, “Free vascularized fibular graft reconstruction of large skeletal defects after tumor resection,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 2, pp. 590–598, 2010.
- F.-Y. Hsu, S.-W. Tsai, C.-W. Lan, and Y.-J. Wang, “An in vivo study of a bone grafting material consisting of hydroxyapatite and reconstituted collagen,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 341–345, 2005.
- K. S. Lee, S. B. Han, and J. R. Baek, “Free vascularized osteocutaneous fibular graft to the tibia in 51 consecutive cases,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 277–284, 2004.
- C. Heitmann, D. Erdmann, and L. S. Levin, “Treatment of segmental defects of the humerus with an osteoseptocutaneous fibular transplant,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 2216–2223, 2002.
- P. J. Belt, I. C. Dickinson, and D. R. Theile, “Vascularised free fibular flap in bone resection and reconstruction,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 425–430, 2005.
- M. Ghert, N. Colterjohn, and M. Manfrini, “The use of free vascularized fibular grafts in skeletal reconstruction for bone tumors in children,” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 577–587, 2007.
- C. Gebert, A. Hillmann, A. Schwappach et al., “Free vascularized fibular grafting for reconstruction after tumor resection in the upper extremity,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 114–127, 2006.
- D. B. Phemister, “Bone growth and repair,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 102, pp. 261–285, 1935.
- G. I. Taylor, G. D. Miller, and F. J. Ham, “The free vascularized bone graft. A clinical extension of microvascular techniques,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 533–544, 1975.
- A. J. Weiland, R. K. Daniel, and L. H. Riley Jr., “Application of the free vascularized bone graft in the treatment of malignant or aggressive bone tumors,” Johns Hopkins Medical Journal, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 85–96, 1977.
- K. N. Malizos, C. G. Zalavras, P. N. Soucacos, A. E. Beris, and J. R. Urbaniak, “Free vascularized fibular grafts for reconstruction of skeletal defects,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 360–369, 2004.
- M. Innocenti, M. Ceruso, M. Manfrini et al., “Free vascularized growth-plate transfer after bone tumor resection in children,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 137–143, 1998.
- C. M. Chen, J. J. Disa, H. Y. Lee et al., “Reconstruction of extremity long bone defects after sarcoma resection with vascularized fibula flaps: a 10-year review,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 915–924, 2007.
- D. Erdmann, R. M. Garcia, G. Blueschke, B. E. Brigman, and L. S. Levin, “Vascularized fibula-based physis transfer for pediatric proximal humerus reconstruction,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 132, pp. 281–287, 2013.
- J. M. Aldridge III, K. R. Berend, E. E. Gunneson, and J. R. Urbaniak, “Free vascularized fibular grafting for the treatment of postcollapse osteonecrosis of the femoral head,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 86, supplement 1, pp. 87–101, 2004.
- K. N. Malizos, J. A. Nunley, R. D. Goldner, J. R. Urbaniak, and J. M. Harrelson, “Free vascularized fibula in traumatic long bone defects and in limb salvaging following tumor resection: comparative study,” Microsurgery, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 368–374, 1993.
- H. H. de Boer and M. B. Wood, “Bone changes in the vascularised fibular graft,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 374–378, 1989.
- H. J. Mankin, M. C. Gebhardt, L. C. Jennings, D. S. Springfield, and W. W. Tomford, “Long-term results of allograft replacement in the management of bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 324, pp. 86–97, 1996.
- P. S. Rose, A. Y. Shin, A. T. Bishop, S. L. Moran, and F. H. Sim, “Vascularized free fibula transfer for oncologic reconstruction of the humerus,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 438, pp. 80–84, 2005.
- A. Zaretski, A. Amir, I. Meller et al., “Free fibula long bone reconstruction in orthopedic oncology: a surgical algorithm for reconstructive options,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1989–2000, 2004.
- G. Kokosis, J. Stolberg-Stolberg, W. C. Eward et al., “Femur reconstruction using combined autologous fibula transfer and humeral allograft,” Chirurg, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1120–1123, 2011.
- M. Innocenti, L. Delcroix, and A. Balatri, “Vascularized growth plate transfer for distal radius reconstruction,” Seminars in Plastic Surgery, vol. 22, pp. 186–194, 2008.
- F. Medrykowski, S. Barbary, N. Gibert, P. Lascombes, and G. Dautel, “Vascularized proximal fibular epiphyseal transfer: two cases,” Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, vol. 98, pp. 728–732, 2012.
- F. Soldado, C. G. Fontecha, S. Haddad et al., “Composite vascularized fibular epiphyseo-osteo-periosteal transfer for hip reconstruction after proximal femoral tumoral resection in a 4-year-old child,” Microsurgery, vol. 32, pp. 489–492, 2012.
- C.-H. Tang, “Reconstruction of the bones and joints of the upper extremity by vascularized free fibular graft: report of 46 cases,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 285–292, 1992.
- M. Innocenti, L. Delcroix, G. F. Romano, and R. Capanna, “Vascularized epiphyseal transplant,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- M. Innocenti, L. Delcroix, M. Manfrini, M. Ceruso, and R. Capanna, “Vascularized proximal fibular epiphyseal transfer for distal radial reconstruction,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American, vol. 87, supplement 1, pp. 237–246, 2005.