- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 360214, 6 pages
Safety and Efficacy of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy in the Treatment of Pulmonary Metastases from High Grade Sarcoma
1Department of Radiation Oncology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 200 UCLA Medical Plaza, B265, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
2UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
3Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
4Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
5Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
6Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 8 May 2013; Revised 7 August 2013; Accepted 30 August 2013
Academic Editor: Cyril Fisher
Copyright © 2013 Niraj Mehta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Kon and L. Martin, “Resection for thoracic metastases from sarcoma,” Oncology, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1198–1204, 2011.
- M. F. Brennan, E. S. Casper, L. B. Harrison, M. H. Shiu, J. Gaynor, and S. I. Hajdu, “The role of multimodality therapy in soft-tissue sarcoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 214, no. 3, pp. 328–338, 1991.
- P. W. T. Pisters, L. B. Harrison, D. H. Y. Leung, J. M. Woodruff, E. S. Casper, and M. F. Brennan, “Long-term results of a prospective randomized trial of adjuvant brachytherapy in soft tissue sarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 859–868, 1996.
- D. A. Potter, T. Kinsella, and E. Glatstein, “High-grade soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities,” Cancer, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 190–205, 1986.
- M. van Glabbeke, A. T. van Oosterom, J. W. Oosterhuis et al., “Prognostic factors for the outcome of chemotherapy in advanced soft tissue sarcoma: An analysis of 2,185 patients treated with anthracycline-containing first-line regimens—a European organization for research and treatment of cancer soft tissue and bone sarcoma group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 150–157, 1999.
- K. G. Billingsley, M. E. Burt, E. Jara et al., “Pulmonary metastases from soft tissue sarcoma: analysis of patterns of disease and postmetastasis survival,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 229, no. 5, pp. 602–612, 1999.
- U. Pastorino, “Lung metastasectomy: why, when, how,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 137–145, 1997.
- A. G. Casson, J. B. Putnam, G. Natarajan et al., “Five-year survival after pulmonary metastasectomy for adult soft tissue sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 662–668, 1992.
- J. B. Putnam Jr., J. A. Roth, and M. N. Wesley, “Analysis of prognostic factors in patients undergoing resection of pulmonary metastases from soft tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 260–268, 1984.
- J. A. Roth, J. B. Putnam Jr., M. N. Wesley, and S. A. Rosenberg, “Differing determinants of prognosis following resection of pulmonary metastases from osteogenic and soft tissue sarcoma patients,” Cancer, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1361–1366, 1985.
- R. Smith, Y. Pak, W. Kraybill, and J. M. Kane III, “Factors associated with actual long-term survival following soft tissue sarcoma pulmonary metastasectomy,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 356–361, 2009.
- M. A. Gadd, E. S. Casper, J. M. Woodruff, P. M. McCormack, and M. F. Brennan, “Development and treatment of pulmonary metastases in adult patients with extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 218, no. 6, pp. 705–712, 1993.
- A. Rehders, S. B. Hosch, P. Scheunemann, N. H. Stoecklein, W. T. Knoefel, and M. Peiper, “Benefit of surgical treatment of lung metastasis in soft tissue sarcoma,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2007.
- M. R. Weiser, R. J. Downey, D. H. Y. Leung, and M. F. Brennan, “Repeat resection of pulmonary metastases in patients with soft-tissue sarcoma,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2000.
- E. T. Creagan, T. R. Fleming, J. H. Edmonson, and P. C. Pairolero, “Pulmonary resection for metastatic nonosteogenic sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1908–1912, 1979.
- A. N. van Geel, U. Pastorino, K. W. Jauch, et al., “Surgical treatment of lung metastases: the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer-Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group study of 255 patients,” Cancer, vol. 77, pp. 675–682, 1996.
- R. Timmerman, R. Paulus, J. Galvin et al., “Stereotactic body radiation therapy for inoperable early stage lung cancer,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 11, pp. 1070–1076, 2010.
- N. Mehta, C. R. King, N. Agazaryan, M. Steinberg, A. Hua, and P. Lee, “Stereotactic body radiation therapy and 3-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of biological equivalent dose and local control,” Practical Radiation Oncology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 288–295, 2012.
- M. T. Milano, A. W. Katz, A. G. Muhs et al., “A prospective pilot study of curative-intent stereotactic body radiation therapy in patients with 5 or fewer oligometastatic lesions,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 650–658, 2008.
- K. E. Rusthoven, B. D. Kavanagh, S. H. Burri et al., “Multi-institutional phase I/II trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy for lung metastases,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1579–1584, 2009.
- R. Timmerman, R. McGarry, C. Yiannoutsos et al., “Excessive toxicity when treating central tumors in a phase II study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage lung cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 30, pp. 4833–4839, 2006.
- J. F. Fowler, “The linear-quadratic formula and progress in fractionated radiotherapy,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 62, no. 740, pp. 679–694, 1989.
- L. Erhunmwunsee and T. A. D'Amico, “Surgical management of pulmonary metastases,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 2052–2060, 2009.
- S. Dhakal, K. S. Corbin, M. T. Milano et al., “Stereotactic body radiotherapy for pulmonary metastases from soft-tissue sarcomas: excellent local lesion control and improved patient survival,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 940–945, 2012.
- R. B. Barriger, J. A. Forquer, J. G. Brabham et al., “A dose-volume analysis of radiation pneumonitis in non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 457–462, 2012.
- M. Guckenberger, K. Heilman, J. Wulf, G. Mueller, G. Beckmann, and M. Flentje, “Pulmonary injury and tumor response after stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT): results of a serial follow-up CT study,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 85, pp. 435–442, 2007.
- J. S. A. Belderbos, W. D. Heemsbergen, K. de Jaeger, P. Baas, and J. V. Lebesque, “Final results of a Phase I/II dose escalation trial in non-small-cell lung cancer using three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 126–134, 2006.
- J. Bradley, M. V. Graham, K. Winter et al., “Toxicity and outcome results of RTOG 9311: a phase I-II dose-escalation study using three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy in patients with inoperable non-small-cell lung carcinoma,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 318–328, 2005.
- S. Kim, H. C. Ott, C. D. Wright et al., “Pulmonary resection of metastatic sarcoma: prognostic factors associated with improved outcomes,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1780–1787, 2011.
- P. Okunieff, A. L. Petersen, A. Philip et al., “Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) for lung metastases,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 808–817, 2006.