- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 450478, 12 pages
Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 Receptor as a Therapeutic Target in Ewing Sarcoma: Lack of Consistent Upregulation or Recurrent Mutation and a Review of the Clinical Trial Literature
1Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, USA
2Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Boston Children's Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue Boston, MA 02115, USA
3Department of Pathology and Human Oncology & Pathogenesis Program, Room S-801, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue New York, NY 10065, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
5Division of Pediatric Oncology, Department of Oncology, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Received 27 July 2012; Revised 5 December 2012; Accepted 9 December 2012
Academic Editor: Maria Tsokos
Copyright © 2013 Alison O'Neill et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. E. Grier, M. D. Krailo, N. J. Tarbell et al., “Addition of ifosfamide and etoposide to standard chemotherapy for Ewing's sarcoma and primitive neuroectodermal tumor of bone,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 8, pp. 694–701, 2003.
- D. Yee, R. E. Favoni, G. S. Lebovic et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I expression by tumors of neuroectodermal origin with the t(11;22) chromosomal translocation. A potential autocrine growth factor,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1806–1814, 1990.
- J. A. Toretsky, T. Kalebic, V. Blakesley, D. LeRoith, and L. J. Helman, “The insulin-like growth factor-I receptor is required for EWS/FLI-1 transformation of fibroblasts,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 49, pp. 30822–30827, 1997.
- K. Scotlandi, S. Benini, P. Nanni et al., “Blockage of insulin-like growth factor-I receptor inhibits the growth of Ewing's sarcoma in athymic mice,” Cancer Research, vol. 58, no. 18, pp. 4127–4131, 1998.
- S. Benini, M. C. Manara, N. Baldini et al., “Inhibition of insulin-like growth factor I receptor increases the antitumor activity of doxorubicin and vincristine against Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 1790–1797, 2001.
- K. Scotlandi, C. Maini, M. C. Manara et al., “Effectiveness of insulin-like growth factor I receptor antisense strategy against Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 296–307, 2002.
- K. Scotlandi, M. C. Manara, G. Nicoletti et al., “Antitumor activity of the insulin-like growth factor-I receptor kinase inhibitor NVP-AEW541 in musculoskeletal tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 3868–3876, 2005.
- M. C. Manara, L. Landuzzi, P. Nanni et al., “Preclinical in vivo study of new insulin-like growth factor-I receptor-specific inhibitor in Ewing's sarcoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1322–1330, 2007.
- J. A. Toretsky, S. M. Steinberg, M. S. Manjusha Thakar, et al., “Insulin-like growth factor type 1 (IGF-1) and IGF binding protein-3 in patients with ewing sarcoma family of tumors,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 2941–2947, 2001.
- S. C. Borinstein, D. A. Barkauskas, M. Krailo, et al., “Investigation of the insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling pathway in localized Ewing sarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 21, pp. 4966–4976, 2011.
- K. Scotlandi, M. C. Manara, M. Serra et al., “Expression of insulin-like growth factor system components in Ewing's sarcoma and their association with survival,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1258–1266, 2011.
- H. Juergens, N. C. Daw, B. Geoerger, et al., “Preliminary efficacy of the anti-insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor antibody figitumumab in patients with refractory Ewing sarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4534–4540, 2011.
- A. S. Pappo, S. R. Patel, J. Crowley, et al., “R1507, a monoclonal antibody to the insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor, in patients with recurrent or refractory Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: results of a phase II Sarcoma Alliance for Research through Collaboration study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4541–4547, 2011.
- S. Malempati, B. Weigel, A. M. Ingle, et al., “Phase I/II trial and pharmacokinetic study of cixutumumab in pediatric patients with refractory solid tumors and ewing sarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 256–262, 2012.
- C. Lohrisch and M. Piccart, “An overview of HER2,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 3–11, 2001.
- M. Sattler, “Mechanisms of transformation by the BCR/ABL oncogene,” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 278–291, 2001.
- K. Scotlandi, S. Benini, M. Sarti et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I receptor-mediated circuit in Ewing's sarcoma/peripheral neuroectodermal tumor: a possible therapeutic target,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 20, pp. 4570–4574, 1996.
- S. Navarro, P. Giraudo, A. I. Karseladze et al., “Immunophenotypic profile of biomarkers related to anti-apoptotic and neural development pathways in the Ewing's Family of Tumors (EFT) and their therapeutic implications,” Anticancer Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2457–2463, 2007.
- M. Yang, R. Zhang, M. Yan, et al., “Detection and characterization of side population in Ewing's sarcoma SK-ES-1 cells in vitro,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1062–1066, 2010.
- O. Awad, J. T. Yustein, P. Shah et al., “High ALDH activity identifies chemotherapy-resistant Ewing's sarcoma stem cells that retain sensitivity to EWS-Fli1 inhibition,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 11, Article ID e13943, 2010.
- C. Garofalo, M. C. Manara, G. Nicoletti et al., “Efficacy of and resistance to anti-IGF-1R therapies in Ewing's sarcoma is dependent on insulin receptor signaling,” Oncogene, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 2730–2740, 2011.
- G. Sanchez, D. Bittencourt, K. Laud et al., “Alteration of cyclin D1 transcript elongation by a mutated transcription factor up-regulates the oncogenic D1b splice isoform in cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 16, pp. 6004–6009, 2008.
- E. De Alava, A. Panizo, C. R. Antonescu et al., “Association of EWS-FLI1 type 1 fusion with lower proliferative rate in Ewing's sarcoma,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 849–855, 2000.
- D. L. Espositot, V. A. Blakesley, A. P. Koval, A. G. Scrimgeour, and D. Leroith, “Tyrosine residues in the C-terminal domain of the insulin-like growth factor-I receptor mediate mitogenic and tumorigenic signals,” Endocrinology, vol. 138, no. 7, pp. 2979–2988, 1997.
- W. T. S. Institute, “Catalogue of Somatic Mutations in Cancer: IGF-1R,” 2011, http://www.sanger.ac.uk/perl/genetics/CGP/cosmic?action=gene&ln=IGF1R.
- G. Hamilton, R. Mallinger, S. Hofbauer, and M. Havel, “The monoclonal HBA-71 antibody modulates proliferation of thymocytes and Ewing's sarcoma cells by interfering with the action of insulin-like growth factor I,” Thymus, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 1991.
- S. Hofbauer, G. Hamilton, G. Theyer, K. Wollmann, and F. Gabor, “Insulin-like growth factor-I-dependent growth and in vitro chemosensitivity of Ewing's sarcoma and peripheral primitive neuroectodermal tumour cell lines,” European Journal of Cancer A, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 1993.
- F. Van Valen, W. Winkelmann, and H. Jurgens, “Type I and Type II insulin-like growth factor receptors and their function in human Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 269–275, 1992.
- J. A. Toretsky, M. Thakar, A. E. Eskenazi, and C. N. Frantz, “Phosphoinositide 3-hydroxide kinase blockade enhances apoptosis in the Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 22, pp. 5745–5750, 1999.
- K. Scotlandi, S. Avnet, S. Benini et al., “Expression of an IGF-I receptor dominant negative mutant induces apoptosis, inhibits tumorigenesis and enhances chemosensitivity in Ewing's sarcoma cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2002.
- P. J. Houghton, C. L. Morton, C. Tucker et al., “The pediatric preclinical testing program: description of models and early testing results,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 928–940, 2007.
- E. Anders Kolb, R. Gorlick, P. J. Houghton et al., “Initial testing (stage 1) of a monoclonal antibody (SCH 717454) against the IGF-1 receptor by the pediatric preclinical testing program,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1190–1197, 2008.
- P. J. Houghton, C. L. Morton, R. Gorlick et al., “Initial testing of a monoclonal antibody (IMC-A12) against IGF-1R by the pediatric preclinical testing program,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 921–926, 2010.
- Y. Tao, V. Pinzi, J. Bourhis, and E. Deutsch, “Mechanisms of Disease: signaling of the insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor pathway—therapeutic perspectives in cancer,” Nature Clinical Practice Oncology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 591–602, 2007.
- A. Prieur, F. Tirode, P. Cohen, and O. Delattre, “EWS/FLI-1 silencing and gene profiling of Ewing cells reveal downstream oncogenic pathways and a crucial role for repression of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 7275–7283, 2004.
- A. L. Ho and G. K. Schwartz, “Targeting of insulin-like growth factor type 1 receptor in Ewing sarcoma: unfulfilled promise or a promising beginning?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4581–4583, 2011.
- S. Benini, M. C. Manara, V. Cerisano et al., “Contribution of MEK/MAPK and PI3-K signaling pathway to the malignant behavior of Ewing's sarcoma cells: therapeutic prospects,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 358–366, 2004.
- A. S. Martins, C. Mackintosh, D. Herrero Martín et al., “Insulin-like growth factor I receptor pathway inhibition by ADW742, alone or in combination with imatinib, doxorubicin, or vincristine, is a novel therapeutic approach in Ewing tumor,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 3532–3540, 2006.
- K. Scotlandi, M. C. Manara, C. M. Hattinger et al., “Prognostic and therapeutic relevance of HER2 expression in osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1349–1361, 2005.
- A. Üren, M. S. Merchant, C. J. Sun et al., “Beta-platelet-derived growth factor receptor mediates motility and growth of Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 2334–2342, 2003.
- L. Girnita, A. Girnita, M. Wang, J. M. Meis-Kindblom, L. G. Kindblom, and O. Larsson, “A link between basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) and EWS/FLI-1 in Ewing's sarcoma cells,” Oncogene, vol. 19, no. 37, pp. 4298–4301, 2000.
- D. H. Shin, H. Y. Min, A. K. El-Naggar, et al., “Akt/mTOR counteract the antitumor activities of cixutumumab, an anti-insulin-like growth factor i receptor monoclonal antibody,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 2437–2448, 2011.
- E. A. Kolb, R. Gorlick, J. M. Maris, et al., “Combination testing (Stage 2) of the Anti-IGF-1 receptor antibody IMC-A12 with rapamycin by the pediatric preclinical testing program,” Pediatr Blood Cancer, Pediatr Blood Cancer, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 729–735, 2012.
- R. T. Kurmasheva, L. Dudkin, C. Billups, L. V. Debelenko, C. L. Morton, and P. J. Houghton, “The insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor-targeting antibody, CP-751,871, suppresses tumor-derived VEGF and synergizes with rapamycin in models of childhood sarcoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 19, pp. 7662–7671, 2009.
- P. J. Beltran, Y. A. Chung, G. Moody et al., “Efficacy of ganitumab (AMG 479), alone and in combination with rapamycin, in Ewing's and osteogenic sarcoma models,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 337, no. 3, pp. 644–654, 2011.
- A. Naing, A. L. P, S. Fu et al., “Insulin growth factor-receptor (IGF-1R) antibody cixutumumab combined with the mTOR inhibitor temsirolimus in patients with refractory ewing's sarcoma family tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2625–2631, 2012.