- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 485483, 5 pages
The Use of Radiation Therapy in the Management of Selected Patients with Atypical Lipomas
1Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA 02215, USA
2Flushing Radiation Oncology Services, Queens, NY 11354, USA
3Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
5Center for Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
6Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
7Department of Orthopaedic Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
8Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Received 28 August 2012; Revised 24 December 2012; Accepted 27 December 2012
Academic Editor: Charles Catton
Copyright © 2013 Josephine Kang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. G. Kindblom, L. Angervall, B. Stener, and I. Wickbom, “Intermuscular and intramuscular lipomas and hibernomas: a clinical, roentgenologic, histologic, and prognostic study of 46 cases,” Cancer, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 754–762, 1974.
- T. Mentzel and C. D. Fletcher, “Lipomatous tumours of soft tissues: an update,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 427, no. 4, pp. 353–363, 1995.
- D. A. Kooby, C. R. Antonescu, M. F. Brennan, and S. Singer, “Atypical lipomatous tumor/well-differentiated liposarcoma of the extremity and trunk wall: importance of histological subtype with treatment recommendations,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 2004.
- V. Billing, F. Mertens, H. A. Domanski, and A. Rydholm, “Deep-seated ordinary and atypical lipomas: histopathology, cytogenetics, clinical features, and outcome in 215 tumours of the extremity and trunk wall,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 929–933, 2008.
- H. L. Evans, “Atypical lipomatous tumor, its variants, and its combined forms: a study of 61 cases, with a minimum follow-up of 10 years,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2007.
- A. F. Mavrogenis, J. Lesensky, C. Romagnoli, et al., “Atypical lipomatous tumors/well-differentiated liposarcomas: clinical outcome of 67 patients,” Orthopedics, vol. 34, pp. e893–e898, 2011.
- N. Azumi, J. Curtis, R. L. Kempson, and M. R. Hendrickson, “Atypical and malignant neoplasms showing lipomatous differentiation: a study of 111 cases,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 161–183, 1987.
- S. W. Weiss and V. K. Rao, “Well-differentiated liposarcoma (atypical lipoma) of deep soft tissue of the extremities, retroperitoneum, and miscellaneous sites: a follow-up study of 92 cases with analysis of the incidence of ‘dedifferentiation’,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1051–1058, 1992.
- D. R. Lucas, A. G. Nascimento, B. K. Sanjay, and M. G. Rock, “Well-differentiated liposarcoma: the mayo clinic experience with 58 cases,” The American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 677–683, 1994.
- J. W. Serpell and R. Y. Chen, “Review of large deep lipomatous tumours,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 524–529, 2007.
- L. Laurino, A. Furlanetto, E. Orvieto, and A. P. Dei Tos, “Well-differentiated liposarcoma (atypical lipomatous tumors),” Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 258–262, 2001.
- H. L. Evans, E. H. Soule, and R. K. Winkelmann, “Atypical lipoma, atypical intramuscular lipoma, and well differentiated retroperitoneal liposarcoma: a reappraisal of 30 cases formerly classified as well differentiated liposarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 574–584, 1979.
- T. D. Rozental, L. D. Khoury, R. Donthineni-Rao, and R. D. Lackman, “Atypical lipomatous masses of the extremities: outcome of surgical treatment,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 398, pp. 203–211, 2002.
- M. D. Bassett, S. M. Schuetze, C. Disteche et al., “Deep-seated, well differentiated lipomatous tumors of the chest wall and extremities: the role of cytogenetics in classification and prognostication,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 409–416, 2005.
- S. M. Sommerville, J. T. Patton, J. C. Luscombe, D. C. Mangham, and R. J. Grimer, “Clinical outcomes of deep atypical lipomas (well-differentiated lipoma-like liposarcomas) of the extremities,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 803–806, 2005.
- A. M. Davis, B. O'Sullivan, R. Turcotte et al., “Late radiation morbidity following randomization to preoperative versus postoperative radiotherapy in extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2005.