- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 489652, 8 pages
Comparison between Constrained and Semiconstrained Knee Allograft-Prosthesis Composite Reconstructions
1Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
2Institute of Orthopedics “Carlos E. Ottolenghi,” Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Received 10 September 2012; Revised 26 December 2012; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Andreas Leithner
Copyright © 2013 German L. Farfalli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. L. Muscolo, M. A. Ayerza, and L. A. Aponte-Tinao, “Survivorship and radiographic analysis of knee osteoarticular allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 373, pp. 73–79, 2000.
- D. L. Muscolo, M. A. Ayerza, and L. A. Aponte-Tinao, “Massive allograft use in orthopedic oncology,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2006.
- H. Burchardt, “The biology of bone graft repair,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 174, pp. 28–42, 1983.
- H. U. Cameron and Y. B. Jung, “Hinged total knee replacement: indications and results,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 1990.
- W. L. Bargar, A. Cracchiolo III, and H. C. Amstutz, “Results with the constrained total knee prosthesis in treating severely disabled patients and patients with failed total knee replacements,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series A, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 504–512, 1980.
- C. L. Nelson, T. J. Gioe, E. Y. Cheng, and R. C. Thompson, “Implant selection in revision total knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series A, vol. 85, supplement 1, no. 2, pp. 43–51, 2003.
- T. P. Sculco, “The role of constraint in total knee arthoplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 54–56, 2006.
- M. J. Hejna and S. Gitelis, “Allograft prosthetic composite replacement for bone tumors,” Seminars in Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 18–24, 1997.
- A. I. Harris, S. Poddar, S. Gitelis, M. B. Sheinkop, and A. G. Rosenberg, “Arthroplasty with a composite of an allograft and a prosthesis for knees with severe deficiency of bone,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series A, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 373–386, 1995.
- A. I. Harris, S. Gitelis, M. B. Sheinkop, A. G. Rosenberg, and P. Piasecki, “Allograft prosthetic composite reconstruction for limb salvage and severe deficiency of bone at the knee or hip,” Seminars in Arthroplasty, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 85–94, 1994.
- D. J. Biau, V. Dumaine, A. Babinet, B. Tomeno, and P. Anract, “Allograft-prosthesis composites after bone tumor resection at the proximal tibia,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 456, pp. 211–217, 2007.
- M. G. Clatworthy and A. E. Gross, “Revision knee arthroplasty: the allograft prosthetic composite: when and how,” Orthopedics, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 897–898, 2001.
- D. Donati, M. Colangeli, S. Colangeli, C. Di Bella, and M. Mercuri, “Allograft-prosthetic composite in the proximal tibia after bone tumor resection,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 466, no. 2, pp. 459–465, 2008.
- D. L. Muscolo, M. A. Ayerza, L. A. Aponte-Tinao, and M. Ranalletta, “Use of distal femoral osteoarticular allografts in limb salvage surgery,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series A, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 2449–2455, 2005.
- C. E. Ottolenghi, D. L. Muscolo, and R. Maenza, “Bone defect reconstruction by massive allograft: technique and results of 51 cases followed for 5 to 32 years,” in Clinical Trends in Orthopaedics, L. R. Straub and P. D. Wilson, Eds., pp. 171–183, Thieme-Stratton, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- M. A. Ayerza, L. A. Aponte-Tinao, E. Abalo, and D. L. Muscolo, “Continuity and function of patellar tendon host-donor suture in tibial allograft,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 450, pp. 33–38, 2006.
- J. H. Healey, A. Abdeen, C. D. Morris, E. A. Athanasian, and P. J. Boland, “Telescope allograft method to reconstitute the diaphysis in limb salvage surgery,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 467, no. 7, pp. 1813–1819, 2009.
- W. F. Enneking, W. Dunham, M. C. Gebhardt, M. Malawar, and D. J. Pritchard, “A system for the functional evaluation of reconstructive procedures after surgical treatment of tumors of the musculoskeletal system,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 286, pp. 241–246, 1993.
- P. A. Clavien, J. Barkun, M. L. de Oliveira et al., “The clavien-dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 187–196, 2009.
- A. E. Gross, “The role of allograft tissue in lower extremity reconstructive surgery,” Orthopedics, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 927–928, 2003.
- P. Roberts, D. Chan, R. J. Grimer, R. S. Sneath, and J. T. Scales, “Prosthetic replacement of the distal femur for primary bone tumours,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series B, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 762–769, 1991.
- A. Kawai, J. H. Healey, P. J. Boland, E. A. Athanasian, and D. G. Jeon, “A rotating-hinge knee replacement for malignant tumors of the femur and tibia,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 187–196, 1999.
- A. Kawai, G. F. Muschler, J. M. Lane, J. C. Otis, and J. H. Healey, “Prosthetic knee replacement after resection of a malignant tumor of the distal part of the femur: medium to long-term results,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series A, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 636–647, 1998.
- M. V. Natarajan, A. Sivaseelam, G. Rajkumar, and S. H. J. Hussain, “Custom megaprosthetic replacement for proximal tibial tumours,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 334–337, 2003.
- J. A. Abboud, R. V. Patel, R. Donthineni-Rao, and R. D. Lackman, “Proximal tibial segmental prosthetic replacement without the use of muscle flaps,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 414, pp. 189–196, 2003.
- R. J. Grimer, S. R. Carter, R. M. Tillman et al., “Endoprosthetic replacement of the proximal tibia,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—Series B, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 488–494, 1999.
- C. D. Morris, K. Sepkowitz, C. Fonshell et al., “Prospective identification of risk factors for wound infection after lower extremity oncologic surgery,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 778–782, 2003.
- E. W. Brien, R. M. Terek, J. H. Healey, and J. M. Lane, “Allograft reconstruction after proximal tibial resection for bone tumors: an analysis of function and outcome comparing allograft and prosthetic reconstructions,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 303, pp. 116–127, 1994.
- J. S. Wunder, K. Leitch, A. M. Griffin, A. M. Davis, and R. S. Bell, “Comparison of two methods of reconstruction for primary malignant tumors at the knee: a sequential cohort study,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 89–99, 2001.
- J. D. Currey, J. Foreman, I. Laketic, J. Mitchell, D. E. Pegg, and G. C. Reilly, “Effects of ionizing radiation on the mechanical properties of human bone,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 1997.
- C. Delloye, P. Simon, C. Nyssen-Behets, X. Banse, F. Bresler, and D. Schmitt, “Perforations of cortical bone allografts improve their incorporation,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 396, pp. 240–247, 2002.
- F. J. Hornicek, M. C. Gebhardt, W. W. Tomford et al., “Factors affecting nonunion of the allograft-host junction,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 382, pp. 87–98, 2001.