- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 498604, 5 pages
Impact of Unplanned Excision on Prognosis of Patients with Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma
1Department of Surgery, Section of Orthopaedic Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
2Department of Oncology, Section of Radiation Oncology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
3Department of Oncology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Received 26 December 2012; Revised 6 April 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editor: Alberto Pappo
Copyright © 2013 Hafiz Muhammad Umer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. C. Tiwari, T. Murray et al., “Cancer Statistics, 2004,” A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 8–29, 2004.
- K. Mannan and T. W. Briggs, “Soft tissue tumours of the extremities,” British Medical Journal, vol. 331, no. 7517, p. 590, 2005.
- M. Venkatesan, C. J. Richards, T. A. McCulloch, A. G. Perks, A. Raurell, and R. U. Ashford, “Inadvertent surgical resection of soft tissue sarcomas,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 346–351.
- I. Qadir, M. Umer, H. M. Umer, N. Uddin, F. Karsan, and M. S. Rabbani, “Managing soft tissue sarcomas in a developing country: are prognostic factors similar to those of developed world?” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, article 188.
- M. A. Clark, C. Fisher, I. Judson, and J. Meirion Thomas, “Soft-tissue sarcomas in adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 7, pp. 701–711, 2005.
- Y. Bhurgri, H. Bhurgri, S. Pervez et al., “Epidemiology of soft tissue sarcomas in Karachi South, Pakistan (1995–7),” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 709–714, 2008.
- A. E. Giuliano and F. R. Eilber, “The rationale for planned reoperation after unplanned total excision of soft-tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 1344–1348, 1985.
- S. Noria, A. Davis, R. Kandel et al., “Residual disease following unplanned excision of a soft-tissue sarcoma of an extremity,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 650–655, 1996.
- A. M. Davis, R. A. Kandel, J. S. Wunder, R. Unger, J. Meer, B. O'Sullivan, et al., “The impact of residual disease on local recurrence in patients treated by initial unplanned resection for soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 81–87, 1997.
- C. R. Chandrasekar, H. Wafa, R. J. Grimer, S. R. Carter, R. M. Tillman, and A. Abudu, “The effect of an unplanned excision of a soft-tissue sarcoma on prognosis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 203–208, 2008.
- R. Clasby, K. Tilling, M. A. Smith, and C. D. M. Fletcher, “Variable management of soft tissue sarcoma: regional audit with implications for specialist care,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 1692–1696, 1997.
- J. J. Lewis, D. Leung, J. Espat, J. M. Woodruff, and M. F. Brennan, “Effect of reresection in extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 5, pp. 655–663, 2000.
- C. Zornig, M. Peiper, and S. Schroder, “Re-excision of soft tissue sarcoma after inadequate initial operation,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 278–279, 1995.
- P. Gustafson, K. E. Dreinhofer, and A. Rydholm, “Soft tissue sarcoma should be treated at a tumor center: a comparison of quality of surgery in 375 patients,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 1994.
- M. Trojani, G. Contesso, and J. M. Coindre, “Soft-tissue sarcomas of adults: Study of pathological prognostic variables and definition of a histopathological grading system,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1984.
- L. Mariani, R. Miceli, M. W. Kattan et al., “Validation and adaptation of a nomogram for predicting the survival of patients with extremity soft tissue sarcoma using a three-grade system,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 402–408, 2005.
- A. Stojadinovic, D. H. Y. Leung, A. Hoos, D. P. Jaques, J. J. Lewis, and M. F. Brennan, “Analysis of the prognostic significance of microscopic margins in 2,084 localized primary adult soft tissue sarcomas,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 235, no. 3, pp. 424–434, 2002.
- M. Hoshi, M. Ieguchi, M. Takami et al., “Clinical problems after initial unplanned resection of sarcoma,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 701–709, 2008.
- C. K. Wong, Y. L. Lam, Y. C. So, K. C. Ngan, and K. Y. Wong, “Management of extremity soft tissue sarcoma after unplanned incomplete resection: experience of a regional musculoskeletal tumour centre,” Hong Kong Medical Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 117–122, 2004.
- S. C. Kaste, A. Hill, L. Conley, T. J. Shidler, B. N. Rao, and M. M. Neel, “Magnetic resonance imaging after incomplete resection of soft tissue sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 397, pp. 204–211, 2002.
- M. Fiore, P. G. Casali, R. Miceli et al., “Prognostic effect of re-excision in adult soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 110–117, 2006.
- T. Ueda, H. Yoshikawa, S. Mori et al., “Influence of local recurrence on the prognosis of soft-tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 553–557, 1997.
- V. K. Alamanda, S. N. Crosby, K. R. Archer, Y. Song, H. S. Schwartz, and G. E. Holt, “Primary excision compared with re-excision of extremity soft tissue sarcomas—is anything new?” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 662–667, 2012.