- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 529349, 6 pages
Biological Extremity Reconstruction after Sarcoma Resection: Past, Present, and Future
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 5, 8036 Graz, Austria
Received 18 February 2013; Revised 18 May 2013; Accepted 26 May 2013
Academic Editor: Per-Ulf Tunn
Copyright © 2013 Lukas A. Holzer and Andreas Leithner. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. P. Karakousis, “Refinements of surgical technique in soft tissue sarcomas,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 730–738, 2010.
- B. Hernroth, F. Farahani, G. Brunborg, S. Dupont, A. Dejmek, and H. N. Sköld, “Possibility of mixed progenitor cells in sea star arm regeneration,” Journal of Experimental Zoology B: Molecular and Developmental Evolution, vol. 314, no. 6, pp. 457–468, 2010.
- M. Maden and R. N. Turner, “Supernumerary limbs in the axolotl,” Nature, vol. 273, no. 5659, pp. 232–235, 1978.
- C. Hutchison, M. Pilote, and S. Roy, “The axolotl limb: a model for bone development, regeneration and fracture healing,” Bone, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 2007.
- A. F. Mavrogenis, L. Coll-Mesa, M. Gonzalez-Gaitan et al., “Criteria and outcome of limb salvage surgery,” Journal of BUON, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 617–626, 2011.
- W. MacEwen, “Observations concerning transplantation of bone: illustrated by a case of inter-human osseous transplantation, whereby over two-thirds of the shaft of a humerus was restored,” Proceedings of the Royal Society (London), vol. 32, pp. 232–247, 1881.
- W. MacEwen, “Intrahuman bone grafting and reimplantation of bone,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 50, pp. 959–963, 1909.
- E. Lexer, “Die Verwendung der freien Knochenplastik nebst Versuchen über Gelenkversteifung und Gelenktransplantation,” Archiv für Klinische Chirurgie, vol. 68, pp. 940–948, 1908.
- E. Lexer, “Joint transplantation and arthroplasty,” Surg Gynec Obst, vol. 40, pp. 782–788, 1925.
- A. Carrel, “The preservation of tissues and its applicationin surgery,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 59, pp. 523–527, 1912.
- G. W. Hyatt, “Fundamentals in the use and preservation of homogenous bone,” United States Armed Forces Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 8, pp. 841–852, 1950.
- G. W. Hyatt, T. C. Turner, C. A. Bassett, J. W. Pate, and P. N. Sawyer, “New methods for preserving bone, skin and blood vessels,” Postgraduate medicine, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 239–254, 1952.
- F. F. Parrish, “Allograft replacement of all or part of the end of a long bone following excision of a tumor,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1973.
- W. F. Enneking, H. Burchardt, J. J. Puhl, and G. Piotrowski, “Physical and biological aspects of repair in dog cortical bone transplants,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 237–252, 1975.
- H. J. Mankin, F. S. Fogelson, A. Z. Thrasher, and F. Jaffer, “Massive resection and allograft transplantation in the treatment of malignant bone tumors,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 294, no. 23, pp. 1247–1255, 1976.
- H. Burchardt, F. P. Glowczewskie Jr., and W. F. Enneking, “The effect of adriamycin and methotrexate on the repair of segmental cortical autografts in dogs,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 103–108, 1983.
- E. J. Hazan, F. J. Hornicek, W. Tomford, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “The effect of adjuvant chemotherapy on osteoarticular allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 385, pp. 176–181, 2001.
- R. Capanna, C. Bufalini, and M. Campanacci, “A new technique for reconstructions of large metadiaphyseal bone defects: a combined graft (allograft shell plus vascularized fibula),” Orthopedics and Traumatology, vol. 2, pp. 159–177, 1993.
- L. F. Peltier, “Patron saints of medicine,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 334, pp. 374–379, 1997.
- C. Nicoladoni, “Daumenplastik,” Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 28, pp. 663–670, 1897.
- J. T. Shores, J. E. Imbriglia, and W. P. A. Lee, “The current state of hand transplantation,” Journal of Hand Surgery, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1862–1867, 2011.
- P. E. Kostiak, “The evolution of quality systems in human bone banking: the U.S. experience,” Cell and Tissue Banking, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 155–160, 2000.
- T. Boyce, J. Edwards, and N. Scarborough, “Allograft bone: the influence of processing on safety and performance,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 571–581, 1999.
- C. Delloye, O. Cornu, V. Druez, and O. Barbier, “Bone allografts. What they can offer and what they cannot,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 574–579, 2007.
- H. Bou Sleiman, L. E. Ritacco, L. Aponte-Tinao, D. L. Muscolo, L.-P. Nolte, and M. Reyes, “Allograft selection for transepiphyseal tumor resection around the knee using three-dimensional surface registration,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1720–1727, 2011.
- M. C. Gebhardt, Y. F. Roth, and H. J. Mankin, “Osteoarticular allografts for reconstruction in the proximal part of the humerus after excision of a musculoskeletal tumor,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 334–345, 1990.
- G. Scoccianti, D. A. Campanacci, G. Beltrami, P. Caldora, and R. Capanna, “The use of osteo-articular allografts for reconstruction after resection of the distal radius for tumour,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 1690–1694, 2010.
- R. A. V. Griend, “The effect of internal fixation on the healing of large allografts,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 657–663, 1994.
- P. Kunz and L. Bernd, “Methods of biological reconstruction for bone sarcoma: indications and limits,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 179, pp. 113–140, 2009.
- B. H. Berrey Jr., C. F. Lord, M. C. Gebhardt, and H. J. Mankin, “Fractures of allografts. Frequency, treatment, and end-results,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 825–833, 1990.
- H. J. Mankin, F. J. Hornicek, and K. A. Raskin, “Infection in massive bone allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 432, pp. 210–216, 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control, “Transmission of HIV through bone transplantation: case report and public health recommendations,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 37, pp. 595–599, 1988.
- E. U. Conrad, D. R. Gretch, K. R. Obermeyer et al., “Transmission of the hepatitis-C virus by tissue transplantation,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 214–224, 1995.
- B. M. Eggen and S. A. Nordbo, “Transmission of HCV by organ transplantation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, artcile 411, 1992.
- W. W. Tomford, “Transmission of disease through transplantation of musculoskeletal allografts,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1742–1754, 1995.
- B. E. Buck and T. I. Malinin, “Human bone and tissue allografts. Preparation and safety,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 270, pp. 1811–1196, 1994.
- G. E. Friedlaender, D. M. Strong, and K. W. Sell, “Studies on the antigenicity of bone. I. Freeze dried and deep frozen bone allografts in rabbits,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 854–858, 1976.
- G. E. Friedlaender, D. M. Strong, and K. W. Sell, “Studies on the antigenicity of bone. II. Donor-specific anti-HLA antibodies in human recipients of freeze-dried allografts,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 107–112, 1984.
- S. Stevenson, S. E. Emery, and V. M. Goldberg, “Factors affecting bone graft incorporation,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 324, pp. 66–74, 1996.
- C. Myeroff and M. Archdeacon, “Autogenous bone graft: donor sites and techniques,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 93, no. 23, pp. 2227–2236, 2011.
- M. Saint-Cyr, C. Wong, E. W. Buchel, S. Colohan, and W. C. Pederson, “Free tissue transfers and replantation,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 130, artcile 858e, 2012.
- U. H. Choudry, K. Bakri, S. L. Moran, Z. Karacor, and A. Y. Shin, “The vascularized medial femoral condyle periosteal bone flap for the treatment of recalcitrant bony nonunions,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2008.
- N. Dion and F. H. Sim, “The use of allografts in musculoskeletal oncology,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 51, pp. 499–506, 2002.
- R. Dimitriou, E. Jones, D. McGonagle, and P. V. Giannoudis, “Bone regeneration: current concepts and future directions,” BMC Medicine, vol. 9, article 66, 2011.
- W. Guo, R. Gorlick, M. Ladanyi et al., “Expression of bone morphogenetic proteins and receptors in sarcomas,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 365, pp. 175–183, 1999.
- T. A. Guise, J. J. Yin, S. D. Taylor et al., “Evidence for a causal role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pathogenesis of human breast cancer-mediated osteolysis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1544–1549, 1996.
- G. A. Illzarov, “Osnovnye printsipy chreskostnogo kompressionnogo i distraktsionnogo osteosinteza,” Ortopediia Travmatologiia i Protezirovanie, vol. 32, pp. 7–15, 1971.
- R. Baumgart, A. Betz, and L. Schweiberer, “A fully implantable motorized intramedullary nail for limb lengthening and bone transport,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 343, pp. 135–143, 1997.
- K. M.-C. Cheung, J. P.-Y. Cheung, D. Samartzis et al., “Magnetically controlled growing rods for severe spinal curvature in young children: a prospective case series,” The Lancet, vol. 379, pp. 1967–1974, 2012.
- S. K. Lee and S. W. Wolfe, “Nerve transfers for the upper extremity: new horizons in nerve reconstruction,” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 20, pp. 506–501, 2012.
- N. F. Jones and S. Schneeberger, “Arm transplantation: prospects and visions,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 476–480, 2009.
- K. Muneoka, M. Han, and D. M. Gardiner, “Regrowing human limbs,” Scientific American, vol. 298, no. 4, pp. 56–63, 2008.