- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 679323, 7 pages
Influence of Resident Education in Correctly Diagnosing Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma
1Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1215 21st Avenue South, Medical Center East, South Tower, Suite 4200, Nashville, TN 37232-8774, USA
2Division of General Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Received 30 January 2013; Accepted 21 March 2013
Academic Editor: Cyril Fisher
Copyright © 2013 Vignesh K. Alamanda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. Morrison, “Soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities,” Proceedings (Baylor University Medical Center), vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 285–290, 2003.
- S. W. Weiss and J. R. Goldblum, Enzinger and Weiss' Soft Tissue Tumors, Mosby Elsevier, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 5th edition, 2008.
- A. M. Davis, S. Sennik, A. M. Griffin, et al., “Predictors of functional outcomes following limb salvage surgery for lower-extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 206–211, 2000.
- P. A. Harris, R. Taylor, R. Thielke, J. Payne, N. Gonzalez, and J. G. Conde, “Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support,” Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 377–381, 2009.
- M. Fiore, P. G. Casali, R. Miceli et al., “Prognostic effect of re-excision in adult soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 110–117, 2006.
- V. K. Alamanda, S. N. Crosby, K. R. Archer, Y. Song, H. S. Schwartz, and G. E. Holt, “Primary excision compared with re-excision of extremity soft tissue sarcomas—is anything new?” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 662–667, 2012.
- W. B. Bowne, C. R. Antonescu, D. H. Leung, et al., “Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans: a clinicopathologic analysis of patients treated and followed at a single institution,” Cancer, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 2711–2720, 2000.
- I. Alldinger, Q. Yang, A. Gocht, A. Raffel, W. T. Knoefel, and M. Peiper, “Prognosis and treatment of primary deep soft tissue sarcomas,” Anticancer Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2759–2764, 2007.
- J. J. Lewis, D. Leung, J. Espat, J. M. Woodruff, and M. F. Brennan, “Effect of reresection in extremity soft tissue sarcoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 5, pp. 655–663, 2000.
- J. L. Grosfeld, H. C. Polk Jr., C. A. Pellegrini, et al., “The health workforce: a position statement,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 4, pp. 525–526, 2007.
- A. G. Charles, E. G. Walker, S. T. Poley, G. F. Sheldon, T. C. Ricketts, and A. A. Meyer, “Increasing the number of trainees in general surgery residencies: is there capacity?” Academic Medicine, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 599–604, 2011.
- AAOS, “Career in Orthopaedics,” 2007, http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00274.
- Institute ACoSHPR, “The Surgical Workforce in the United States: Profile and Recent Trends,” 2010, http://www.acshpri.org/documents/ACSHPRI_Surgical_Workforce_in_US_apr2010.pdf.
- H. J. Mankin, C. J. Mankin, and M. A. Simon, “The hazards of the biopsy, revisited: for the members of the musculoskeletal tumor society,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 656–663, 1996.
- D. Neuser, “Value of fine needle biopsy and cytology in the diagnosis of tumors,” Zeitschrift fur Arztliche Fortbildung, vol. 77, no. 13, pp. 554–556, 1983.
- R. Turner Warwick and M. Turner Warwick, “Soft-tissue biopsy technique,” British Medical Journal, vol. 3, no. 715, pp. 149–151, 1970.
- S. J. Golding and J. E. Husband, “Radiology of soft tissue sarcoma: discussion paper,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 729–735, 1982.
- E. Levine, K. R. Lee, J. R. Neff, N. F. Maklad, R. G. Robinson, and D. F. Preston, “Comparison of computed tomography and other imaging modalities in the evaluation of musculoskeletal tumors,” Radiology, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 431–437, 1979.
- R. T. Heelan, R. C. Watson, and J. Smith, “Computed tomography of lower extremity tumors,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 933–937, 1979.
- K. R. Geisinger, W. G. Ward, and E. A. Levine, “Soft-tissue sarcoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 21, pp. 2303–2304, 2005.