- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 745360, 7 pages
Biological Reconstruction Following the Resection of Malignant Bone Tumors of the Pelvis
1Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Sarcoma Center Berlin-Brandenburg, HELIOS Klinikum Berlin-Buch, Schwanebecker Chaussee 50, 13125 Berlin, Germany
2Departement of Pathology, Sarcoma Center Berlin-Brandenburg, HELIOS Klinikum Emil von Behring, Walterhöferstr. 11, 14165 Berlin, Germany
Received 13 January 2013; Revised 3 March 2013; Accepted 3 March 2013
Academic Editor: Andreas Leithner
Copyright © 2013 Frank Traub et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. H. Shin, B. T. Rougraff, and M. A. Simon, “Oncologic outcomes of primary bone sarcomas of the pelvis,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 304, pp. 207–217, 1994.
- A. Kawai, J. H. Healey, P. J. Boland, P. P. Lin, A. G. Huvos, and P. A. Meyers, “Prognostic factors for patients with sarcomas of the pelvic bones,” Cancer, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 851–859, 1998.
- W. F. Enneking, “Local resection of malignant lesions of the hip and pelvis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 991–1007, 1966.
- H. H. Steel, “Partial or complete resection of the hemipelvis. An alternative to hindquarter amputation for periacetabular chondrosarcoma of the pelvis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 719–730, 1978.
- W. F. Enneking and W. K. Dunham, “Resection and reconstruction for primary neoplasms involving the innominate bone,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 731–746, 1978.
- C. P. Karakousis, L. J. Emrich, and D. L. Driscoll, “Variants of hemipelvectomy and their complications,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 404–408, 1989.
- M. Campanacci and R. Capanna, “Pelvic resections: the Rizzoli institute experience,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 65–86, 1991.
- E. U. Conrad III, D. Springfield, and T. D. Peabody, “Pelvis,” in Surgery for Bone and Soft-Tissue Tumors, M. A. Simon and D. Springfield, Eds., pp. 323–341, Lipincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1998.
- D. Witte, L. Bernd, J. Bruns et al., “Limb-salvage reconstruction with MUTARS hemipelvic endoprosthesis: a prospective multicenter study,” The European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1318–1325, 2009.
- R. S. Bell, A. M. Davis, J. S. Wunder, T. Buconjic, B. Mcgoveran, and A. E. Gross, “Allograft reconstruction of the acetabulum after resection of stage-IIB sarcoma,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 79, no. 11, pp. 1663–1674, 1997.
- F. Langlais, J. C. Lambotte, and H. Thomazeau, “Long-term results of hemipelvis reconstruction with allografts,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 388, pp. 178–186, 2001.
- H. Tsuchiya, S. L. Wan, K. Sakayama, N. Yamamoto, H. Nishida, and K. Tomita, “Reconstruction using an autograft containing tumour treated by liquid nitrogen,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 218–225, 2005.
- C. Gebert, M. Wessling, C. Hoffmann et al., “Hip transposition as a limb salvage procedure following the resection of periacetabular tumors,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 269–275, 2011.
- W. F. Enneking, S. S. Spanier, and M. A. Goodman, “A system for the surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 153, pp. 106–120, 1980.
- W. F. Enneking, W. Dunham, M. C. Gebhardt, M. Malawar, and D. J. Pritchard, “A system for the functional evaluation of reconstructive procedures after surgical treatment of tumors of the musculoskeletal system,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 286, pp. 241–246, 1993.
- S. J. Ham, H. S. Koops, R. P. H. Veth, J. R. van Horn, W. H. Eisma, and H. J. Hoekstra, “External and internal hemipelvectomy for sarcomas of the pelvic girdle: consequences of limb-salvage treatment,” The European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 540–546, 1997.
- T. Ozaki, S. Flege, M. Kevric et al., “Osteosarcoma of the pelvis: experience of the cooperative osteosarcoma study group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 334–341, 2003.
- D. Donati, S. Giacomini, E. Gozzi et al., “Osteosarcoma of the pelvis,” The European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 332–340, 2004.
- D. J. Sucato, B. Rougraff, B. E. McGrath et al., “Ewing's sarcoma of the pelvis. Long-term survival and functional outcome,” Clinical Orthopaedics, no. 373, pp. 193–201, 2000.
- A. F. Mavrogenis, K. Soultanis, P. Patapis et al., “Pelvic resections,” Orthopedics, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 232–243, 2012.
- A. Abudu, R. J. Grimer, S. R. Cannon, S. R. Carter, and R. S. Sneath, “Reconstruction of the hemipelvis after the excision of malignant tumours,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 773–779, 1997.
- P. Ruggieri, A. F. Mavrogenis, A. Angelini, and M. Mercuri, “Metastases of the pelvis: does resection improve survival?” Orthopedics, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. e236–e244, 2011.
- J. F. Huth, J. J. Eckardt, G. Pignatti, and F. R. Eilber, “Resection of malignant bone tumors of the pelvic girdle without extremity amputation,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 1121–1124, 1988.
- M. I. O'Connor and F. H. Sim, “Salvage of the limb in the treatment of malignant pelvic tumors,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 481–494, 1989.
- J. S. Wunder, P. C. Ferguson, A. M. Griffin, A. Pressman, and R. S. Bell, “Acetabular metastases: planning for reconstruction and review of results,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 415, supplement, pp. S187–S197, 2003.
- C. Hoffmann, G. Gosheger, C. Gebert, H. Jürgens, and W. Winkelmann, “Functional results and quality of life after treatment of pelvic sarcomas involving the acetabulum,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 575–582, 2006.