- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 767960, 8 pages
Do Malignant Bone Tumors of the Foot Have a Different Biological Behavior than Sarcomas at Other Skeletal Sites?
1Orthopaedic Department, Basel University Childrens Hospital (UKBB), Spitalstrasse 33, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
2Bone Tumor Reference Center at the Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Basel, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Received 7 September 2012; Accepted 22 January 2013
Academic Editor: Hans Rechl
Copyright © 2013 M. Brotzmann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. E. Ochsner, Knochentumoren des Fusses: Systematik, Differentialdiagnose und Therapie, vol. 41, Ferdinand Enke, Sttutgart, Germany, 1984.
- F. Hefti, R. Brunner, C. Hasler, and G. Jundt, Pediatric Orthopedics in Practice, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1st edition, 2007.
- H. M. Ozdemir, Y. Yildiz, C. Yilmaz, and Y. Saglik, “Tumors of the foot and ankle: analysis of 196 cases,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 403–408, 1997.
- M. Buchner, L. Bernd, A. Zahlten-Hinguranage, and D. Sabo, “Bone and soft-tissue tumors of the foot and ankle. Epidemiology, treatment strategy, and clinicofunctional results after surgical therapy,” Chirurg, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 391–397, 2005.
- K. Ludwig, “Tumors of the foot skeleton,” Radiologe, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 240–249, 2007.
- T. M. Murari, J. J. Callaghan, B. H. Berrey Jr., and D. E. Sweet, “Primary benign and malignant osseous neoplasms of the foot,” Foot and Ankle, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 68–80, 1989.
- K. Pollandt, M. Werner, and G. Delling, “Tumors of the bones of the feet—a report from the Hamburg Bone Tumor Registry,” Zeitschrift fur Orthopadie und Ihre Grenzgebiete, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 445–451, 2003.
- R. Casadei, A. Ferraro, A. Ferruzzi, R. Biagini, and P. Ruggieri, “Bone tumors of the foot: epidemiology and diagnosis,” La Chirurgia degli Organi di Movimento, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 47–62, 1991.
- T. Zeytoonjian, H. J. Mankin, M. C. Gebhardt, and F. J. Hornicek, “Distal lower extremity sarcomas: frequency of occurrence and patient survival rate,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 325–330, 2004.
- W. F. Enneking, S. S. Spanier, and M. Goodman, “A system for the surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 153, pp. 106–120, 1980.
- O. Sneppen and L. M. Hansen, “Presenting symptoms and treatment delay in osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 23, no. 2-3, pp. 159–162, 1984.
- B. Widhe and T. Widhe, “Initial symptoms and clinical features in osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 667–674, 2000.
- M. Bernstein, H. Kovar, M. Paulussen et al., “Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors: current management,” The Oncologist, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 503–519, 2006.
- C. D. Adkins, H. B. Kitaoka, R. K. Seidl, and D. J. Pritchard, “Ewing's sarcoma of the foot,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 343, pp. 173–182, 1997.
- J. E. Metcalfe and R. J. Grimer, “Ewing's sarcoma of the foot masquerading as osteomyelitis,” Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2004.
- R. Biscaglia, A. Gasbarrini, T. Böhling, P. Bacchini, F. Bertoni, and P. Picci, “Osteosarcoma of the bones of the foot-an easily misdiagnosed malignant tumor,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 842–847, 1998.
- N. Marina, M. Gebhardt, L. Teot, and R. Gorlick, “Biology and therapeutic advances for pediatric osteosarcoma,” The Oncologist, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 422–441, 2004.
- M. S. Dhillon, S. S. Gill, O. N. Nagi, D. P. Singh, and R. L. Mittal, “Primary malignant and potentially malignant tumours of the foot,” The Foot, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 1992.
- S. J. Cotterill, S. Ahrens, M. Paulussen et al., “Prognostic factors in Ewing's tumor of bone: analysis of 975 patients from the European Intergroup Cooperative Ewing's Sarcoma Study Group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 3108–3114, 2000.
- P. Bergh, B. Gunterberg, J. M. Meis Kindblom, and L. G. Kindblom, “Prognostic factors and outcome of pelvic, sacral, and spinal chondrosarcomas: a center-based study of 69 cases,” Cancer, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 1201–1212, 2001.
- P. Bieling, N. Rehan, P. Winkler et al., “Tumor size and prognosis in aggressively treated osteosarcoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 848–858, 1996.
- W. S. Song, W. H. Cho, D. G. Jeon et al., “Pelvis and extremity osteosarcoma with similar tumor volume have an equivalent survival,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 611–617, 2010.
- K. H. Shin, S. H. Moon, J. S. Suh, and W. I. Yang, “Tumor volume change as a predictor of chemotherapeutic response in osteosarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 376, pp. 200–208, 2000.
- S. L. Miller, F. A. Hoffer, W. E. Reddick et al., “Tumor volume or dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI for prediction of clinical outcome of Ewing sarcoma family of tumors,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 518–523, 2001.
- F. Fiorenza, A. Abudu, R. J. Grimer et al., “Risk factors for survival and local control in chondrosarcoma of bone,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery—British Volume, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2002.
- S. S. Bielack, B. Kempf-Bielack, G. Delling et al., “Prognostic factors in high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremities or trunk: an analysis of 1,702 patients treated on neoadjuvant cooperative osteosarcoma study group protocols,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 776–790, 2002.
- M. Paulussen, S. Ahrens, J. Dunst et al., “Localized Ewing tumor of bone: final results of the Cooperative Ewing's Sarcoma Study CESS 86,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1818–1829, 2001.
- R. Casadei, M. Magnani, R. Biagini, and M. Mercuri, “Prognostic factors in Ewing's Sarcoma of the foot,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 420, pp. 230–238, 2004.
- A. Ogose, K. K. Unni, R. G. Swee, G. K. May, C. M. Rowland, and F. H. Sim, “Chondrosarcoma of small bones of the hands and feet,” Cancer, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 50–59, 1997.
- R. B. Guerra, M. D. Tostes, L. da Costa Miranda et al., “Comparative analysis between osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma: evaluation of the time from onset of signs and symptoms until diagnosis,” Clinics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2006.
- C. D. M. Fletcher, K. K. Unni, and F. Mertens, Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Soft Tissue and Bone, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002.
- A. M. Kurt, K. K. Unni, R. A. McLeod, and D. J. Pritchard, “Low-grade intraosseous osteosarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1418–1428, 1990.