- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 982784, 6 pages
Can Experienced Observers Differentiate between Lipoma and Well-Differentiated Liposarcoma Using Only MRI?
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky,
740 S. Limestone Avenue, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X5
3Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Duke Cancer Center, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Received 13 September 2013; Revised 28 October 2013; Accepted 4 November 2013
Academic Editor: Cyril Fisher
Copyright © 2013 Patrick W. O'Donnell et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Doyle, A. K. Pang, M. V. Miller, and J. G. French, “Magnetic resonance imaging of lipoma and atypical lipomatous tumour/well-differentiated liposarcoma: observer performance using T1-weighted and fluid-sensitive MRI,” Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 2008.
- F. El Ouni, H. Jemni, A. Trabelsi et al., “Liposarcoma of the extremities: MR imaging features and their correlation with pathologic data,” Orthopaedics & Traumatology, Surgery & Research, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 876–883, 2010.
- Y. M. Lee, H. W. Chung, M. J. Shin et al., “Musculoskeletal magnetic resonance imaging suggesting the possibility of liposarcoma: correlation between radiologists' certainty of diagnosis and pathology results,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 512–516, 2011.
- K. N. O'Regan, J. Jagannathan, K. Krajewski et al., “Imaging of liposarcoma: classification, patterns of tumor recurrence, and response to treatment,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 197, no. 1, pp. W37–W43, 2011.
- V. Billing, F. Mertens, H. A. Domanski, and A. Rydholm, “Deep-seated ordinary and atypical lipomas : histopathology, cytogenetics, clinical features, and outcome in 215 tumours of the extremity and trunk wall,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 929–933, 2008.
- H. S. Kim, J. Lee, S. Y. Yi et al., “Liposarcoma: exploration of clinical prognostic factors for risk based stratification of therapy,” BMC Cancer, vol. 9, article 205, 2009.
- T. D. Rozental, L. D. Khoury, R. Donthineni-Rao, and R. D. Lackman, “Atypical lipomatous masses of the extremities: outcome of surgical treatment,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 398, pp. 203–211, 2002.
- C. A. Smith, S. R. Martinez, W. H. Tseng et al., “Predicting survival for well-differentiated liposarcoma: the importance of tumor location,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2012.
- A. P. Dei Tos, “Liposarcoma: new entities and evolving concepts,” Annals of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 252–266, 2000.
- C. M. Gaskin and C. A. Helms, “Lipomas, lipoma variants, and well-differentiated liposarcomas (atypical lipomas): results of MRI evaluations of 126 consecutive fatty masses,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 733–739, 2004.
- J. Cohen, “A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales,” Educational and Psychological Measurement, vol. 20, pp. 37–46, 1960.
- D. J. Solomon, “The rating reliability calculator,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 4, article 11, 2004.
- C. H. Gerrand, J. S. Wunder, R. A. Kandel et al., “Classification of positive margins after resection of soft-tissue sarcoma of the limb predicts the risk of local recurrence,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1149–1155, 2001.
- M. Brisson, T. Kashima, D. Delaney, et al., “MRI characteristics of lipoma and atypical lipomatous tumor/well-differentiated liposarcoma: retrospective comparison with histology and MDM2 gene amplification,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 635–647, 2013.
- K. Thway, R. Flora, C. Shah, D. Olmos, and C. Fisher, “Diagnostic utility of p16, CDK4, and MDM2 as an immunohistochemical panel in distinguishing well-differentiated and dedifferentiated liposarcomas from other adipocytic tumors,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 462–469, 2012.
- R. Grimer, I. Judson, D. Peake, and B. Seddon, “Guidelines for the management of soft tissue sarcomas,” Sarcoma, vol. 2010, Article ID 506182, 15 pages, 2010.