- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 475067, 7 pages
High Dose Thiotepa in Patients with Relapsed or Refractory Osteosarcomas: Experience of the SFCE Group
1Institute for Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Leon Bérard Cancer Centre, University of Lyon, 1 Place Joseph Renaut, 69008 Lyon, France
2Unit of Biostatistics, Leon Bérard Cancer Centre, University of Lyon, 69008 Lyon, France
3Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Hôpital Armand Trousseau, 75012 Paris, France
4Department of Paediatrics, Curie Institute, 75248 Paris, France
5Department of Paediatrics, Children’s Hospital, 59037 Lilles, France
6Department of Paediatrics, La Timone Hospital, 13385 Marseille, France
7Department of Paediatrics, Children’s Hospital, 54000 Nancy, France
8Department of Paediatrics, Gustave Roussy Institute, 94805 Villejuif, France
Received 12 November 2013; Accepted 15 December 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editor: Carola A. S. Arndt
Copyright © 2014 Perrine Marec-Berard et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Allison, S. C. Carney, E. R. Ahlmann et al., “A meta-analysis of osteosarcoma outcomes in the modern medical era,” Sarcoma, vol. 2012, Article ID 704872, 2012.
- G. Bacci, A. Briccoli, A. Longhi et al., “Treatment and outcome of recurrent osteosarcoma: experience at Rizzoli in 235 patients initially treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 748–755, 2005.
- S. Ferrari, A. Briccoli, M. Mercuri et al., “Postrelapse survival in osteosarcoma of the extremities: prognostic factors for long-term survival,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 710–715, 2003.
- J. F. Huth and F. R. Eilber, “Patterns of recurrence after resection of osteosarcoma of the extremity. strategies for treatment of metastases,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 122–126, 1989.
- B. Kempf-Bielack, S. S. Bielack, H. Jürgens et al., “Osteosarcoma relapse after combined modality therapy: an analysis of unselected patients in the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group (COSS),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 559–568, 2005.
- V. Mialou, T. Philip, C. Kalifa et al., “Metastatic osteosarcoma at diagnosis: prognostic factors and long-term outcome—the French pediatric experience,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 1100–1109, 2005.
- M.-D. Tabone, C. Kalifa, C. Rodary, M. Raquin, D. Valteau-Couanet, and J. Lemerle, “Osteosarcoma recurrences in pediatric patients previously treated with intensive chemotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 2614–2620, 1994.
- J. Hara, Y. Osugi, H. Ohta et al., “Double-conditioning regimens consisting of thiotepa, melphalan and busulfan with stem cell rescue for the treatment of pediatric solid tumors,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 1998.
- C. Kalifa, O. Hartmann, F. Demeocq et al., “High-dose busulfan and thiotepa with autologous bone marrow transplantation in childhood malignant brain tumors: a phase II study,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 227–233, 1992.
- R. Ladenstein, T. Philip, and H. Gardner, “Autologous stem cell transplantation for solid tumors in children,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 55–69, 1997.
- J. P. Perentesis, E. Katsanis, T. E. DeFor, J. P. Neglia, and N. K. C. Ramsay, “Autologous stem cell transplantation for high-risk pediatric solid tumors,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 609–615, 1999.
- F. Fagioli, M. Aglietta, A. Tienghi et al., “High-dose chemotherapy in the treatment of relapsed osteosarcoma: an Italian Sarcoma Group study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 2150–2156, 2002.
- P. A. Meyers, “High-dose therapy with autologous stem cell rescue for pediatric sarcomas,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 120–125, 2004.
- A. Sauerbrey, S. Bielack, B. Kempf-Bielack, A. Zoubek, M. Paulussen, and F. Zintl, “High-dose chemotherapy (HDC) and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (ASCT) as salvage therapy for relapsed osteosarcoma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 933–937, 2001.
- S. N. Wolff, R. H. Herzig, J. W. Fay et al., “High-dose N,N′,N″-triethylenethiophosphoramide (thiotepa) with autologous bone marrow transplantation: phase I studies,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 1990.
- N. Lucidarme, D. Valteau-Couanet, O. Oberlin et al., “Phase II study of high-dose thiotepa and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children with solid tumors,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 535–540, 1998.
- E. L. Kaplan and P. Meier, “Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- R. Peto, C. Pike, and P. Armitage, “Design and analysis of randomized clinical trials requiring prolonged observation of each patient. II. Analysis and examples,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 1–39, 1977.
- M.-C. Le Deley, J.-M. Guinebretière, J.-C. Gentet et al., “SFOP OS94: a randomised trial comparing preoperative high-dose methotrexate plus doxorubicin to high-dose methotrexate plus etoposide and ifosfamide in osteosarcoma patients,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 752–761, 2007.
- A. G. Huvos, G. Rosen, and R. C. Marcove, “Primary osteogenic sarcoma. Pathologic aspects in 20 patients after treatment with chemotherapy en bloc resection, and prosthetic bone replacement,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 1977.
- S. S. Bielack, B. Kempf-Bielack, G. Delling et al., “Prognostic factors in high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremities or trunk: an analysis of 1,702 patients treated on neoadjuvant cooperative osteosarcoma study group protocols,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 776–790, 2002.
- D. Andreou, S. S. Bielack, D. Carrle et al., “The influence of tumor- and treatment-related factors on the development of local recurrence in osteosarcoma after adequate surgery. An analysis of 1355 patients treated on neoadjuvant Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group protocols,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1228–1235, 2011.
- C. Rodríguez-Galindo, N. C. Daw, S. C. Kaste et al., “Treatment of refractory osteosarcoma with fractionated cyclophosphamide and etoposide,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 250–255, 2002.
- C. P. Colombat Ph., P. Biron, C. Coze et al., “Failure of high-dose alkylating agents in osteosarcoma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 665–666, 1994.
- R. Miniero, A. Brach del Prever, E. Vassallo et al., “Feasibility of high-dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in children with high grade osteosarcoma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 22, supplement 5, pp. S37–S40, 1998.
- G. Rosti, P. Ferrante, J. Ledermann et al., “High-dose chemotherapy for solid tumors: results of the EBMT,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 129–140, 2002.
- B. Hagen, F. Walseth, and R. A. Walstad, “Single and repeated dose pharmacokinetics of thio-TEPA in patients treated for ovarian carcinoma,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 1987.
- R. D. Hart, M. Perloff, and J. F. Holland, “One-day VATH (vinblastine, adriamycin, thiotepa, and halotestin) therapy for advanced breast cancer refractory to chemotherapy,” Cancer, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1522–1527, 1981.
- S. Rodenhuis, M. Bontenbal, L. V. Beex, et al., “High-dose chemotherapy with hematopoietic stem-cell rescue for high-risk breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, pp. 7–16, 2003.
- J. R. Geyer, F. M. Balis, M. D. Krailo et al., “A phase II study of thioTEPA in children with recurrent solid tumor malignancies: a Children's Cancer Group Study,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 337–342, 1995.
- M. Kletzel, G. L. Kearns, T. G. Wells, and H. C. Thompson Jr., “Pharmacokinetics of high dose thiotepa in children undergoing autologous bone marrow transplantation,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 1992.
- H. M. Lazarus, M. D. Reed, T. R. Spitzer, M. S. Rabaa, and J. L. Blumer, “High-dose i.v. Thiotepa and cryopreserved autologous bone marrow transplantation for therapy of refractory cancer,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 71, no. 7-8, pp. 689–695, 1987.
- S. N. Wolff, R. H. Herzig, J. W. Fay et al., “High-dose thiotepa with autologous bone marrow transplantation for metastatic malignant melanoma: results of phase I and II studies of the North American bone marrow transplantation group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 245–249, 1989.
- S. Rodenhuis, A. Westermann, M. J. Holtkamp et al., “Feasibility of multiple courses of high-dose cyclophosphamide, thiotepa, and carboplatin for breast cancer or germ cell cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1473–1483, 1996.
- U. M. Saarinen, L. Hovi, A. Makipernaa, and P. Riikonen, “High-dose thiotepa with autologous bone marrow rescue in pediatric solid tumors,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 369–376, 1991.
- G. Saeter, J. Hoie, A. E. Stenwig, A. K. Johansson, E. Hannisdal, and O. P. Solheim, “Systemic relapse of patients with osteogenic sarcoma. Prognostic factors for long term survival,” Cancer, vol. 75, pp. 1084–1093, 1995.
- P. M. Anderson, P. Meyers, E. Kleinerman, et al., “Mifamurtide in metastatic and recurrent osteosarcoma: a patient access study with pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and safety assessments,” Pediatr Blood Cancer, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 238–244, 2013.