- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 481071, 14 pages
Cost-Effectiveness of Pazopanib in Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma in the United Kingdom
1Policy Analysis Inc. (PAI), Four Davis Court, Brookline, MA 02445, USA
2GlaxoSmithKline, Stockley Park West, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB11 1BT, UK
3GlaxoSmithKline, 7333 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, ON, Canada L5N 6L4
4University of Toronto, 144 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 3M2
5York Health Economics Consortium, Level 2, Market Square, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5NH, UK
Received 20 December 2013; Accepted 3 April 2014; Published 12 June 2014
Academic Editor: Antoine Italiano
Copyright © 2014 Jordan Amdahl et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. B. Jones, H. Iwenofu, T. Scharschmidt, and W. Kraybill, “Prognostic factors and staging for soft tissue sarcomas: an update,” Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 187–200, 2012.
- R. Benjamin, P. W. T. Pisters, L. J. Helman, V. H. C. Bramwell, B. P. Rubin, and B. O'Sullivan, “Sarcomas of soft tissue,” in Clinical Oncology, M. D. Abeloff, J. O. Armitage, J. E. Niederhuber, et al., Eds., pp. 2009–2056, Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2008.
- Cancer Research UK, “Soft tissue sarcoma incidence statistics,” http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/soft-tissue-sarcoma/incidence/.
- J. M. Coindre, P. Terrier, L. Guillou, et al., “Predictive value of grade for metastasis development in the main histologic types of adult soft tissue sarcomas: a study of 1240 patients from the French Federation of Cancer Centers Sarcoma Group,” Cancer, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 1914–1926, 2001.
- R. Grimer, I. Judson, D. Peake, and B. Seddon, “Guidelines for the management of soft tissue sarcomas,” Sarcoma, vol. 2010, Article ID 506182, 15 pages, 2010.
- A. Italiano, S. Mathoulin-Pelissier, A. le Cesne et al., “Trends in survival for patients with metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1049–1054, 2011.
- P. G. Casali, L. Jost, S. Sleijfer, J. Verweij, and J.-Y. Blay, “Soft tissue sarcomas: ESMO clinical recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. iv132–iv136, 2009.
- The ESMO/European Sarcoma Network Working Group, “Soft tissue and visceral sarcomas: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, supplement 7, pp. vii92–vii99, 2012.
- M. Leahy, X. G. del Muro, P. Reichardt, et al., “Chemotherapy treatment patterns and clinical outcomes in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. The SArcoma treatment and Burden of Illness in North America and Europe (SABINE) study,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2763–2770, 2012.
- US Food and Drug Administration, “Votrient (pazopanib) tablets: for treatment of patients with soft tissue sarcoma,” FDA Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee Briefing Document (NDA 22-465), 2012.
- Votrient Summary of Product Characteristics, 2012, http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/001141/WC500094272.pdf.
- W. T. van der Graaf, J. Y. Blay, S. P. Chawla, et al., “Pazopanib for metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma (PALETTE): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9829, pp. 1879–1886, 2012.
- GlaxoSmithKline, “A randomised double blind phase III trial of pazopanib versus placebo in patients with soft tissue sarcoma whose disease has progressed during or following prior therapy,” http://www.gsk-clinicalstudyregister.com/study/VEG110727#rs.
- T. E. Delea, P. Tappenden, O. Sofrygin et al., “Cost-effectiveness of lapatinib plus capecitabine in women with HER2+ metastatic breast cancer who have received prior therapy with trastuzumab,” The European Journal of Health Economics, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 589–603, 2012.
- T. E. Delea, K. el Ouagari, J. Rotter, A. Wang, S. Kaura, and G. J. Morgan, “Cost-effectiveness of zoledronic acid compared with clodronate in multiple myeloma,” Current Oncology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. e392–e403, 2012.
- T. E. Delea, J. Amdahl, A. Chit, and M. M. Amonkar, “Cost-effectiveness of lapatinib plus letrozole in HER2-positive, hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer in Canada,” Current Oncology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. e371–e387, 2013.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), “Guide to the methods of technology appraisal,” 2013, http://publications.nice.org.uk/guide-to-the-methods-of-technology-appraisal-2013-pmg9/the-reference-case.
- S. Sharma, S. Takyar, S. C. Manson, S. Powell, and N. Penel, “Efficacy and safety of pharmacological interventions in second- or later-line treatment of patients with advanced soft tissue sarcoma: a systematic review,” BMC Cancer, vol. 13, article 385, 2013.
- J. D. Kalbfleisch and R. L. Prentice, The Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- J. F. Tierney, L. A. Stewart, D. Ghersi, S. Burdett, and M. R. Sydes, “Practical methods for incorporating summary time-to-event data into meta-analysis,” Trials, vol. 8, article 16, 2007.
- J. Amdahl, S. C. Manson, R. Isbell, A. Chit, and T. E. Delea, “Utility mapping of the EORTC QLQ-C30 onto EQ-5D in patients with soft tissue sarcoma,” Value in Health, vol. 16, no. 7, p. A419, 2013.
- J. M. Giesinger, L. M. Wintner, A. S. Oberguggenberger et al., “Quality of life trajectory in patients with advanced cancer during the last year of life,” Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 904–912, 2011.
- B. Mayrbäurl, L. M. Wintner, J. M. Giesinger et al., “Chemotherapy line-associated differences in quality of life in patients with advanced cancer,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 2399–2405, 2012.
- M. A. Elmqvist, M. S. Jordhøy, K. Bjordal, S. Kaasa, and M. Jannert, “Health-related quality of life during the last three months of life in patients with advanced cancer,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 191–198, 2009.
- S. S. Hwang, V. T. Chang, D. L. Fairclough, J. Cogswell, and B. Kasimis, “Longitudinal quality of life in advanced cancer patients: pilot study results from a VA Medical Cancer Center,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 2003.
- S. L. Shingler, P. Swinburn, A. Lloyd, et al., “Elicitation of health state utilities in soft tissue sarcoma,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1697–1706, 2013.
- B. Nafees, M. Stafford, S. Gavriel, S. Bhalla, and J. Watkins, “Health state utilities for non small cell lung cancer,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 6, article 84, 2008.
- P. Swinburn, A. Lloyd, P. Nathan, T. K. Choueiri, D. Cella, and M. P. Neary, “Elicitation of health state utilities in metastatic renal cell carcinoma,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1091–1096, 2010.
- NHS National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), “Pazopanib for the first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma,” National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Technology appraisal guidance 215, http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13346/53304/53304.pdf.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), “Tabectedin patient access scheme submission,” Technology Appraisals, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), PharmaMar, 2009.
- T. A. Young, “Estimating mean total costs in the presence of censoring: a comparative assessment of methods,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1229–1242, 2005.
- British National Formulary (BNF) 63, British Medical Journal Publishing Group and Pharmaceutical Press, 2012.
- P. Pautier, A. Floquet, N. Penel, et al., “Randomized multicenter and stratified phase II study of gemcitabine alone versus gemcitabine and docetaxel in patients with metastatic or relapsed leiomyosarcomas: a Fédération Nationale des Centres de Lutte Contre le Cancer (FNCLCC) French Sarcoma Group Study (TAXOGEM study),” The Oncologist, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1213–1220, 2012.
- L. Curtis, Unit Costs of Health and Social Care 2010, University of Kent, 2010.
- NHS Reference Costs 2010-2011, “NHS trust and PCT combined reference cost schedules,” 2012, http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_131140.
- I. Judson, O. al-Muderis, D. Scott, A. Lloyd, F. Alonso, and B. Garcia, “Cost of management of metastatic soft tissue sarcoma,” in Proceedings of the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Cancer Conference, NCRI, Birmingham, UK, October 2007.
- A. H. Briggs, “Handling uncertainty in cost-effectiveness models,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 479–500, 2000.
- M. Lothgren and N. Zethraeus, “Definition, interpretation and calculation of cost-effectiveness acceptability curves,” Health Economics, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 623–630, 2000.
- M. D. Rawlins and A. J. Culyer, “National institute for clinical excellence and its value judgments,” British Medical Journal, vol. 329, no. 7459, pp. 224–227, 2004.
- E. J. O. Soini, B. G. san Andrés, and T. Joensuu, “Trabectedin in the treatment of metastatic soft tissue sarcoma: cost-effectiveness, cost-utility and value of information,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 215–223, 2011.
- C. Blomqvist, R. Johansson, and M. Tarkkanen, “Trabectedin in the treatment of metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma: cost-effectiveness and cost-utility are yet to be proved,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 4, p. 988, 2011.
- NHS National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), “Trabectedin for the treatment of advanced soft tissue sarcoma,” http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/12813/47472/47472.pdf.
- A. T. van Oosterom, H. T. Mouridsen, O. S. Nielsen et al., “Results of randomised studies of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group (STBSG) with two different ifosfamide regimens in first- and second-line chemotherapy in advanced soft tissue sarcoma patients,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 38, no. 18, pp. 2397–2406, 2002.
- G. D. Demetri, S. P. Chawla, M. von Mehren et al., “Efficacy and safety of trabectedin in patients with advanced or metastatic liposarcoma or leiomyosarcoma after failure of prior anthracyclines and ifosfamide: results of a randomized phase II study of two different schedules,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 25, pp. 4188–4196, 2009.
- R. Garcia-Carbonero, J. G. Supko, R. G. Maki et al., “Ecteinascidin-743 (ET-743) for chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced soft tissue sarcomas: multicenter phase II and pharmacokinetic study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 24, pp. 5484–5492, 2005.
- A. le Cesne, J. Y. Blay, I. Judson et al., “Phase II study of ET-743 in advanced soft tissue sarcomas: a European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 576–584, 2005.
- A. Yovine, M. Riofrio, J. Y. Blay et al., “Phase II study of ecteinascidin-743 in advanced pretreated soft tissue sarcoma patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 890–899, 2004.
- M. L. Hensley, J. A. Blessing, K. DeGeest, O. Abulafia, P. G. Rose, and H. D. Homesley, “Fixed-dose rate gemcitabine plus docetaxel as second-line therapy for metastatic uterine leiomyosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group phase II study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 323–328, 2008.