- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 690316, 9 pages
Comorbidity in Adult Bone Sarcoma Patients: A Population-Based Cohort Study
1Sarcoma Centre of Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
2Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Building 5, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
3Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Building 5, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
4Department of Orthopedic Surgery E5, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Building 7, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
5Department of Pathology, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, Building 18, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Received 3 December 2013; Revised 28 January 2014; Accepted 28 January 2014; Published 27 February 2014
Academic Editor: Clement Trovik
Copyright © 2014 Ninna Aggerholm-Pedersen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Maretty-Nielsen, N. Aggerholm-Pedersen, J. Keller, A. Safwat, S. Baerentzen, and A. B. Pedersen, “Population-based aarhus sarcoma registry: validity, completeness of registration, and incidence of bone and soft tissue sarcomas in western Denmark,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 5, pp. 45–56, 2013.
- M. L. Janssen-Heijnen, S. Houterman, V. E. Lemmens, M. W. Louwman, H. A. Maas, and J. W. Coebergh, “Prognostic impact of increasing age and co-morbidity in cancer patients: a population-based approach,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 2005.
- C. R. Boje, S. O. Dalton, T. K. Gronborg, et al., “The impact of comorbidity on outcome in 12 623 danish head and neck cancer patients: a population based study from the DAHANCA database,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 285–293, 2013.
- L. H. Iversen, M. Nørgaard, J. Jacobsen, S. Laurberg, and H. T. SLrensen, “The impact of comorbidity on survival of danish colorectal cancer patients from 1995 to 2006—a population-based cohort study,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2009.
- L. Lund, J. Jacobsen, M. Nørgaard et al., “The prognostic impact of comorbidities on renal cancer, 1995 to 2006: a Danish population based study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2009.
- M. S. Tetsche, C. Dethlefsen, L. Pedersen, H. T. Sorensen, and M. Norgaard, “The impact of comorbidity and stage on ovarian cancer mortality: a nationwide Danish cohort study,” BMC Cancer, vol. 8, article 31, 2008.
- J. F. Piccirillo and I. Costas, “The impact of comorbidity on outcomes,” ORL Journal for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Its Related Specialties, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 180–185, 2004.
- Statbank Denmark, http://statbank.dk/statbank5a/default.asp?w=1280.
- The Danish Civil Registry, http://cpr.dk/cpr/site.aspx?p=194&ArticleID=4326.
- C. B. Pedersen, “The Danish civil registration system,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, supplement 7, pp. 22–25, 2011.
- Danish Health and Medicines Authority, “Cancer pathways, soft tissue and bone sarcoma,” http://www.sst.dk/publ/Publ2012/06juni/KraeftPkforl/SarkomerKnogleBloeddele3udg.pdf.
- Co-operative Cancer Departments, “Treatment of sarcoma and aggressive benign tumors,” http://www.ambkir.dk/Faglige%20retningslinier/Behandling%20af%20sarkomer.pdf.
- E. Lynge, J. L. Sandegaard, and M. Rebolj, “The Danish national patient register,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, supplement 7, pp. 30–33, 2011.
- T. N. Nickelsen, “Data validity and coverage in the Danish National Health Registry. A literature review,” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2001.
- J. Mosbech, J. Jørgensen, M. Madsen, K. Rostgaard, K. Thornberg, and T. D. Poulsen, “The national patient registry. Evaluation of data quality,” Ugeskrift for Laeger, vol. 157, no. 26, pp. 3741–3745, 1995.
- T. F. Andersen, M. Madsen, J. Jørgensen, L. Mellemkjær, and J. H. Olsen, “The Danish National Hospital Register: a valuable source of data for modern health sciences,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 1999.
- M. E. Charlson, P. Pompei, K. A. Ales, and C. R. MacKenzie, “A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 373–383, 1987.
- M. S. Tetsche, M. Nørgaard, M. V. Skriver, E. S. Andersen, T. L. Lash, and H. T. Sørensen, “Accuracy of ovarian cancer ICD-10 diagnosis in a Danish population-based hospital discharge registry,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 266–270, 2005.
- K. Helweg-Larsen, “The Danish register of causes of death,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 39, supplement 7, pp. 26–29, 2011.
- P. K. Andersen, J. P. Klein, and S. Rosthøj, “Generalised linear models for correlated pseudo-observations, with applications to multi-state models,” Biometrika, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2003.
- F. Graw, T. A. Gerds, and M. Schumacher, “On pseudo-values for regression analysis in competing risks models,” Lifetime Data Analysis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 241–255, 2009.
- M. Cleves, “Stata54: multiple curves plotted with stcurv command,” Stata Technical Bulletin, vol. 9, pp. 7–10, 2000.
- E. L. Kaplan and P. Meier, “Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, no. 282, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- S. Durrleman and R. Simon, “Flexible regression models with cubic splines,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 551–561, 1989.
- P. Royston and W. Sauerbrei, “Multivariable modeling with cubic regression splines: a principled approach,” Stata Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45–70, 2007.
- N. Orsini and S. Greenland, “A procedure to tabulate and plot results after flexible modeling of a quantitative covariate,” Stata Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–29, 2011.
- I. R. White, P. Royston, and A. M. Wood, “Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 377–399, 2011.
- J. P. Fine and R. J. Gray, “A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 94, no. 446, pp. 496–509, 1999.
- A. D. Oxman and G. H. Guyatt, “A consumer's guide to subgroup analyses,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 78–84, 1992.
- H. T. Sorensen, “Regional administrative health registries as a resource in clinical epidemiology: a study of options, strengths, limitations and data quality provided with examples of use,” The International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1997.
- S. K. Thygesen, C. F. Christiansen, S. Christensen, T. L. Lash, and H. T. Sørensen, “The predictive value of ICD-10 diagnostic coding used to assess Charlson comorbidity index conditions in the population-based Danish National Registry of Patients,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 11, article 83, 2011.
- L. Lund, J. Jacobsen, P. Clark, M. Borre, and M. Nørgaard, “Impact of comorbidity on survival of invasive bladder cancer patients, 1996–2007: a Danish population-based cohort study,” Urology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 393–398, 2010.
- T. Nakamura, R. Grimer, C. Gaston, et al., “The value of C-reactive protein and comorbidity in predicting survival of patients with high grade soft tissue sarcoma,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 377–385, 2013.
- L. M. Baldwin, C. N. Klabunde, P. Green, W. Barlow, and G. Wright, “In search of the perfect comorbidity measure for use with administrative claims data: does it exist?” Medical Care, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 745–753, 2006.
- V. de Groot, H. Beckerman, G. J. Lankhorst, and L. M. Bouter, “How to measure comorbidity: a critical review of available methods,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 221–229, 2003.
- J. F. Piccirillo, A. Vlahiotis, L. B. Barrett, K. L. Flood, E. L. Spitznagel, and E. W. Steyerberg, “The changing prevalence of comorbidity across the age spectrum,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 124–132, 2008.
- A. F. Grann, T. Froslev, A. B. Olesen, H. Schmidt, and T. L. Lash, “The impact of comorbidity and stage on prognosis of Danish melanoma patients, 1987–2009: a registry-based cohort study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 265–271, 2013.
- C. A. Stiller, A. Trama, D. Serraino, et al., “Descriptive epidemiology of sarcomas in europe: report from the RARECARE project,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 684–695, 2013.
- V. Y. Ng, T. J. Scharschmidt, J. L. Mayerson, and J. L. Fisher, “Incidence and survival in sarcoma in the united states: a focus on musculoskeletal lesions,” Anticancer Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 2597–2604, 2013.