- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 842709, 9 pages
Computer-Assisted Planning and Patient-Specific Instruments for Bone Tumor Resection within the Pelvis: A Series of 11 Patients
1Clinique Chirurgicale Orthopédique et Traumatologique, CHU Hôtel-Dieu, Place Alexis-Ricordeau 1, 44093 Nantes Cedex 1, France
2Laboratoire Physiopathologie de la Résorption Osseuse, Inserm UI957, Faculté de Medecine, Université de Nantes, rue Gaston Veil, 44000 Nantes, France
3Computer Assisted and Robotic Surgery (CARS), Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Université Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Mounier 53, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Received 31 January 2014; Revised 9 June 2014; Accepted 9 June 2014; Published 2 July 2014
Academic Editor: Charles Catton
Copyright © 2014 François Gouin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Delloye, X. Banse, B. Brichard, P. Docquier, and O. Cornu, “Pelvic reconstruction with a structural pelvic allograft after resection of a malignant bone tumor,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 579–587, 2007.
- I. Han, Y. M. Lee, H. S. Cho, J. H. Oh, S. H. Lee, and H. Kim, “Outcome after surgical treatment of pelvic sarcomas,” Clinics in Orthopedic Surgery, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 160–166, 2010.
- B. Fuchs, N. Hoekzema, D. R. Larson, C. Y. Inwards, and F. H. Sim, “Osteosarcoma of the pelvis: outcome analysis of surgical treatment,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 467, no. 2, pp. 510–518, 2009.
- T. Ozaki, S. Flege, M. Kevric et al., “Osteosarcoma of the pelvis: experience of the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 334–341, 2003.
- C. Hoffmann, S. Ahrens, J. Dunst, et al., “Pelvic Ewing sarcoma: a retrospective analysis of 241 cases,” Cancer, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 869–877, 1999.
- R. Gradinger, H. Rechl, and E. Hipp, “Pelvic osteosarcoma. Resection, reconstruction, local control, and survival statistics,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 270, pp. 149–158, 1991.
- M. Sluga, R. Windhager, S. Lang et al., “The role of surgery and resection margins in the treatment of Ewing's sarcoma,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 392, pp. 394–399, 2001.
- O. Cartiaux, P.-L. Docquier, L. Paul et al., “Surgical inaccuracy of tumor resection and reconstruction within the pelvis: an experimental study,” Acta orthopaedica, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 695–702, 2008.
- O. Cartiaux, X. Banse, L. Paul, B. G. Francq, C. Aubin, and P. Docquier, “Computer-assisted planning and navigation improves cutting accuracy during simulated bone tumor surgery of the pelvis,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 18, no. 1-2, pp. 19–26, 2013.
- J. A. Abraham, “Recent advances in navigation-assisted musculoskeletal tumor resection,” Current Orthopaedic Practice, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 297–302, 2011.
- O. Cartiaux, L. Paul, P. Docquier, and X. Banse, “Computer- and robot-assisted resection and reconstruction of pelvic bone tumours—a review,” European Musculoskeletal Review, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2011.
- S. Fehlberg, S. Eulenstein, T. Lange, D. Andreou, and P. Tunn, “Computer-assisted pelvic tumor resection: fields of application, limits, and perspectives,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 179, pp. 169–182, 2009.
- P. L. Docquier, L. Paul, O. Cartiaux, C. Delloye, and X. Banse, “Computer-assisted resection and reconstruction of pelvic tumor sarcoma,” Sarcoma, vol. 2010, Article ID 125162, 8 pages, 2010.
- T. Y. C. So, Y. L. Lam, and K. L. Mak, “Computer-assisted navigation in bone tumor surgery: seamless workflow model and evolution of technique,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 11, pp. 2985–2991, 2010.
- H. S. Cho, H. G. Kang, H. S. Kim, and I. Han, “Computer-assisted sacral tumor resection. A case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, pp. 1561–1566, 2008.
- C. Krettek, J. Geerling, L. Bastian et al., “Computer aided tumor resection in the pelvis,” Injury, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. SA79–SA83, 2004.
- K. Wong, S. M. Kumta, K. Chiu et al., “Computer assisted pelvic tumor resection and reconstruction with a custom-made prosthesis using an innovative adaptation and its validation,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 225–232, 2007.
- L. Jeys, G. S. Matharu, R. S. Nandra, and R. J. Grimer, “Can computer navigation-assisted surgery reduce the risk of an intralesional margin and reduce the rate of local recurrence in patients with a tumour of the pelvis or sacrum?” Bone and Joint Journal, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 1417–1424, 2013.
- K. C. Wong, S. M. Kumta, K. H. Chiu, G. E. Antonio, P. Unwin, and K. S. Leung, “Precision tumour resection and reconstruction using image-guided computer navigation,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 943–947, 2007.
- L. E. Ritacco, F. E. Milano, G. L. Farfalli, M. A. Ayerza, D. L. Muscolo, and L. A. Aponte-Tinao, “Accuracy of 3-D planning and navigation in bone tumor resection,” Orthopedics, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. e942–e950, 2013.
- K. C. Wong and S. M. Kumta, “Joint-preserving tumor resection and reconstruction using image-guided computer navigation tumor,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 471, no. 3, pp. 762–773, 2013.
- M. A. Hafez, K. L. Chelule, B. B. Seedhom, and K. P. Sherman, “Computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty using patient-specific templating,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 444, pp. 184–192, 2006.
- V. Y. Ng, J. H. DeClaire, K. R. Berend, B. C. Gulick, and A. V. Lombardi Jr., “Improved accuracy of alignment with patient-specific positioning guides compared with manual instrumentation in TKA,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 470, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2012.
- D. White, K. L. Chelule, and B. B. Seedhom, “Accuracy of MRI vs CT imaging with particular reference to patient specific templates for total knee replacement surgery,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 224–231, 2008.
- R. M. Nunley, B. S. Ellison, J. Zhu, E. L. Ruh, S. M. Howell, and R. L. Barrack, “Do patient-specific guides improve coronal alignment in total knee arthroplasty?” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 470, no. 3, pp. 895–902, 2012.
- E. Schkommodau, N. Decker, U. Klapper, K. Birnbaum, H. W. Staudte, and K. Radermacher, “Pedicle screw implantation using the DISOS template system,” in Navigation and Robotics in Total Joint and Spine Surgery, J. B. Stiehl, W. H. Konermann, and R. G. Haaker, Eds., pp. 501–505, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2003.
- S. Lu, Y. Q. Xu, Y. Z. Zhang et al., “A novel computer-assisted drill guide template for lumbar pedicle screw placement: a cadaveric and clinical study,” International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2009.
- V. Ferrari, P. Parchi, S. Condino et al., “An optimal design for patient-specific templates for pedicle spine screws placement,” International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 298–304, 2013.
- Y. Z. Zhang, B. Chen, S. Lu et al., “Preliminary application of computer-assisted patient-specific acetabular navigational template for total hip arthroplasty in adult single development dysplasia of the hip,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 469–474, 2011.
- S. Takashi, H. Toshihisa, M. Tsuyoshi et al., “Validation of patient specific surgical guides in total hip arthroplasty,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 113–120, 2013.
- J. G. G. Dobbe, J. C. Vroemen, S. D. Strackee, and G. J. Streekstra, “Patient-tailored plate for bone fixation and accurate 3D positioning in corrective osteotomy,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 51, no. 1-2, pp. 19–27, 2013.
- J. Victor and A. Premanathan, “Virtual 3D planning and patient specific surgical guides for osteotomies around the knee: a feasibility and proof-of-concept study,” Bone and Joint Journal, vol. 95-B, no. 11, supplement A, pp. 153–158, 2013.
- K. Oka, T. Murase, H. Moritomo, and H. Yoshikawa, “Corrective osteotomy for malunited both bones fractures of the forearm with radial head dislocations using a custom-made surgical guide: two case reports,” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. e1–e8, 2012.
- L. Bellanova, L. Paul, and P. Docquier, “Surgical guides (patient-specific instruments) for pediatric tibial bone sarcoma resection and allograft reconstruction,” Sarcoma, vol. 2013, Article ID 787653, 7 pages, 2013.
- K. C. Wong, S. M. Kumta, K. Y. Sze, and C. M. Wong, “Use of a patient-specific CAD/CAM surgical jig in extremity bone tumor resection and custom prosthetic reconstruction,” Computer Aided Surgery, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 284–293, 2012.
- F. A. Khan, J. D. Lipman, A. D. Pearle, P. J. Boland, and J. H. Healey, “Surgical technique: computer-generated custom jigs improve accuracy of wide resection of bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 471, no. 6, pp. 2007–2016, 2013.
- O. Cartiaux, L. Paul, B. G. Francq, X. Banse, and P. L. Docquier, “Improved accuracy with 3D planning and patient-specific instruments during simulated pelvic bone tumor surgery,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 205–213, 2014.
- P. A. Yushkevich, J. Piven, H. C. Hazlett et al., “User-guided 3D active contour segmentation of anatomical structures: significantly improved efficiency and reliability,” NeuroImage, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 1116–1128, 2006.
- International Organization for Standardization, Standard 10993:2009: Biological Evaluation of Medical Devices, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 4th edition, 2009.
- C. Wittekind, C. C. Compton, F. L. Greene, and L. H. Sobin, “TNM residual tumor classification revisited,” Cancer, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2511–2516, 2002.
- International Organization for Standardization, Standard 1101:2004: Geometrical Product Specifications (GPS)—Geometrical Tolerancing—Tolerances of Form, Orientation, Location and Run-out, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2nd edition, 2004.
- O. Cartiaux, L. Paul, P.-L. Docquier et al., “Accuracy in planar cutting of bones: an ISO-based evaluation,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2009.
- J. A. Bailey, Y. Wang, F. R. W. van de Goot, and R. R. R. Gerretsen, “Statistical analysis of kerf mark measurements in bone,” Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2011.
- H. S. Cho, J. H. Oh, I. Han, and H. Kim, “The outcomes of navigation-assisted bone tumour surgery: minimum three-year follow-up,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 1414–1420, 2012.
- K. C. Wong and S. M. Kumta, “Computer-assisted tumor surgery in malignant bone tumors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 471, no. 3, pp. 750–761, 2013.
- J. Van den Broeck, R. Wirix-Speetjens, and J. Vander Sloten, “Preoperative analysis of the stability of fit of a patient-specific surgical guide,” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2013.