- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Schizophrenia Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 245103, 6 pages
Health-Related Quality of Life and Overall Life Satisfaction in People with Serious Mental Illness
Department of Psychology, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5030 Cherry Hall, Kansas City, MO 64110, USA
Received 24 September 2012; Accepted 15 October 2012
Academic Editor: Robin Emsley
Copyright © 2012 Amy L. Barnes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Evans, S. Banerjee, M. Leese, and P. Huxley, “The impact of mental illness on quality of life: a comparison of severe mental illness, common mental disorder and healthy population samples,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2007.
- F. Dickerson, C. H. Brown, L. Fang et al., “Quality of life in individuals with serious mental illness and type 2 diabetes,” Psychosomatics, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 109–114, 2008.
- J. M. Narvaez, E. W. Twamley, C. L. McKibbin, R. K. Heaton, and T. L. Patterson, “Subjective and objective quality of life in schizophrenia,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 98, no. 1–3, pp. 201–208, 2008.
- D. P. Folsom, C. Depp, B. W. Palmer et al., “Physical and mental health-related quality of life among older people with schizophrenia,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 108, no. 1–3, pp. 207–213, 2009.
- S. M. Eack and C. E. Newhill, “Psychiatric symptoms and quality of life in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1225–1237, 2007.
- A. W. Tolman and M. M. Kurtz, “Neurocognitive predictors of objective and subjective quality of life in individuals with schizophrenia: a meta-analytic investigation,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 304–315, 2012.
- C. Brown, M. Rempfer, and E. Hamera, “Correlates of insider and outsider conceptualizations of recovery,” Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2008.
- M. Lambert, B. G. Schimmelmann, A. Schacht et al., “Long-term patterns of subjective wellbeing in schizophrenia: cluster, predictors of cluster affiliation, and their relation to recovery criteria in 2842 patients followed over 3 years,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 107, no. 2-3, pp. 165–172, 2009.
- S. Wegener, M. A. Redoblado-Hodge, S. Lucas, D. Fitzgerald, A. Harris, and J. Brennan, “Relative contributions of psychiatric symptoms and neuropsychological functioning to quality of life in first-episode psychosis,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 487–492, 2005.
- M. Ritsner, A. Gibel, and Y. Ratner, “Determinants of changes in perceived quality of life in the course of schizophrenia,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 515–526, 2006.
- M. S. Ritsner, A. Lisker, and M. Arbitman, “Ten-year quality of life outcomes among patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders: I. Predictive value of disorder-related factors,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 837–847, 2012.
- D. L. Kelly, D. L. Boggs, and R. R. Conley, “Reaching for Wellness in Schizophrenia,” Psychiatric Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 453–479, 2007.
- P. Auquier, M. C. Simeoni, C. Sapin et al., “Development and validation of a patient-based health-related quality of life questionnaire in schizophrenia: the S-QoL,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 63, no. 1-2, pp. 137–149, 2003.
- F. Porzsolt, C. P. Wolpl, C. E. Rist, R. Kosa, G. Buchele, and W. Gaus, “Comparison of three instruments (QLQ-C30, SF-36, QWB-7) measuring health-related quality of life/quality of well-being,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 5, pp. 103–117, 1996.
- L. M. Arnold, K. A. Witzeman, M. L. Swank, S. L. McElroy, and P. E. Keck, “Health-related quality of life using the SF-36 in patients with bipolar disorder compared with patients with chronic back pain and the general population,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 57, no. 1–3, pp. 235–239, 2000.
- D. Vancampfort, M. Probst, T. Scheewe et al., “Lack of physical activity during leisure time contributes to an impaired health related quality of life in patients with schizophrenia,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 129, no. 2-3, pp. 122–127, 2011.
- J. E. Ware, K. K. Snow, M. Kosinski, and B. Gandek, The SF-36 Health Survey Manual and Interpretation Guide, The Health Institute, New England Medical Centre, Boston, Mass, USA, 1993.
- C. J. Meijer, M. W. J. Koeter, M. A. G. Sprangers, and A. H. Schene, “Predictors of general quality of life and the mediating role of health related quality of life in patients with schizophrenia,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 361–368, 2009.
- C. J. Meijer, A. H. Schene, and M. W. J. Koeter, “Quality of life in schizophrenia measured by the MOS SF-36 and the Lancashire Quality of Life Profile: a comparison,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 293–300, 2002.
- M. B. First, R. L. Spitzer, M. Gibbon, and J. B. W. Williams, Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, Clinician Version (SCID-CV), American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- J. Hewitt, “Critical evaluation of the use of research tools in evaluating quality of life for people with schizophrenia,” International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 2–14, 2007.
- J. D. Burke, K. C. Burke, J. H. Baker, and A. Hillis, “Test-retest reliability in psychiatric patients of the sf-36 health survey,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 189–194, 1996.
- R. Pukrop, V. Schlaak, A. M. Möller-Leimkühler et al., “Reliability and validity of Quality of Life assessed by the Short-Form 36 and the Modular System for Quality of Life in patients with schizophrenia and patients with depression,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 119, no. 1-2, pp. 63–79, 2003.
- J. Endicott, J. Nee, W. Harrison, and R. Blumenthal, “Quality of life enjoyment and satisfaction questionnaire: a new measure,” Psychopharmacology Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 321–326, 1993.
- M. Ritsner, R. Kurs, A. Gibel, Y. Ratner, and J. Endicott, “Validity of an abbreviated Quality of Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire (Q-LES-Q-18) for schizophrenia, schizoaffective,and mood disorder patients,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1693–1703, 2005.
- D. Lukoff, K. H. Nuechterlein, and J. Ventura, “Manual for the expanded BPRS,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 12, pp. 594–602, 1986.
- M. Hamilton, “Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness.,” The British Journal of Social Clinical Psychology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 278–296, 1967.
- M. F. Green, R. S. Kern, D. L. Braff, and J. Mintz, “Neurocognitive deficits and functional outcome in schizophrenia: are we measuring the “right stuff”?” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 119–136, 2000.
- S. K. Kongs, L. L. Thompson, G. L. Iverson, and R. K. Heaton, Wisconsin Card Sorting Test-64 Card Version: Professional Manual, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Fla, USA, 2000.
- R. M. Reitan, Trail Making Test, Reitan Neuropsychology Laboratory, Tucson, Ariz, USA, 1992.
- A. L. Benton and K. S. Hamsher, Multilingual Aphasia Examination Manual, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA, 1976.
- R. Brickenkamp and E. Zillmer, D2 Test of Attention, Hogrefe and Huber Publishers, Seattle, Wash, USA, 1998.
- D. Wechsler, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale: Administration and Scoring Manual, The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 3rd edition, 1997.
- D. C. Delis, J. H. Kramer, E. Kaplan, and B. A. Ober, California Verbal Learning Test—Second Edition: Adult Version Manual, The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 2000.
- B. T. Mausbach, P. D. Harvey, S. R. Goldman, D. V. Jeste, and T. L. Patterson, “Development of a brief scale of everyday functioning in persons with serious mental illness,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1364–1372, 2007.
- T. L. Patterson, S. Goldman, C. L. McKibbin, T. Hughs, and D. V. Jeste, “UCSD Performance-Based Skills Assessment: development of a new measure of everyday functioning for severly mentally ill adults,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 235–245, 2001.
- B. T. Mausbach, R. Moore, C. Bowie, V. Cardenas, and T. L. Patterson, “A Review of instruments for measuring functional recovery in those diagnosed with psychosis,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 307–318, 2009.
- L. Dixon, L. Postrado, J. Delahanty, P. J. Fischer, and A. Lehman, “The association of medical comorbidity in schizophrenia with poor physical and mental health,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 187, no. 8, pp. 496–502, 1999.
- M. Ritsner, R. Kurs, H. Kostizky, A. Ponizovsky, and I. Modai, “Subjective quality of life in severely mentally ill patients: a comparison of two instruments,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 553–561, 2002.
- D. Schechter, J. Endicott, and J. Nee, “Quality of life of “normal” controls: association with lifetime history of mental illness,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2007.
- A. L. Hackman, R. W. Goldberg, C. H. Brown et al., “Use of emergency department services for somatic reasons by people with serious mental illness,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 563–566, 2006.
- P. H. Lysaker and V. A. LaRocco, “Health-related quality of life and trauma history in adults with schizophrenia spectrum disorders,” Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 197, no. 5, pp. 311–315, 2009.
- J. Ventura, G. S. Hellemann, A. D. Thames, V. Koellner, and K. H. Nuechterlein, “Symptoms as mediators of the relationship between neurocognition and functional outcome in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 113, no. 2-3, pp. 189–199, 2009.
- M. A. Test, J. S. Greenberg, J. D. Long, J. S. Brekke, and S. S. Burke, “Construct validity of a measure of subjective satisfaction with life of adults with serious mental illness,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 292–300, 2005.
- A. Q. Radke, J. Parks, and T. J. Ruter, “A call for improved prevention and reduction of obesity among persons with serious mental illness,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 617–619, 2010.