- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Schizophrenia Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 425826, 7 pages
Sleep, Fatigue, and Functional Health in Psychotic Patients
1School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, The University of Western Australia, Perth, WA 6009, Australia
2Clinical Research Centre, Graylands Hospital, North Metropolitan Mental Health, Private Bag No. 1, Claremont Perth, WA 6910, Australia
3Clinical Applications Unit, Graylands Hospital, North Metropolitan Mental Health, Perth, WA 6910, Australia
Received 9 March 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editor: Markus Jäger
Copyright © 2013 Flavie Waters et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Fukuda, S. E. Straus, I. Hickie, M. C. Sharpe, J. G. Dobbins, and A. Komaroff, “The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, no. 12, pp. 953–959, 1994.
- T. Pawlikowska, T. Chalder, S. R. Hirsch, P. Wallace, D. J. M. Wright, and S. C. Wesely, “Population based study of fatigue and psychological distress,” British Medical Journal, vol. 308, no. 6931, pp. 763–766, 1994.
- A. David, A. Pelosi, E. McDonald et al., “Tired, weak, or in need of rest: fatigue among general practice attenders,” British Medical Journal, vol. 301, no. 6762, pp. 1199–1202, 1990.
- R. R. Taylor, L. A. Jason, and S. C. Jahn, “Chronic fatigue and sociodemographic characteristics as predictors of psychiatric disorders in a community-based sample,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 896–901, 2003.
- S. B. Harvey, M. Wadsworth, S. Wessely, and M. Hotopf, “The relationship between prior psychiatric disorder and chronic fatigue: evidence from a national birth cohort study,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 933–940, 2008.
- N. Watanabe, R. Stewart, R. Jenkins, D. K. Bhugra, and T. A. Furukawa, “The epidemiology of chronic fatigue, physical illness, and symptoms of common mental disorders: a cross-sectional survey from the second British National Survey of Psychiatric Morbidity,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 357–362, 2008.
- P. Manu, D. A. Matthews, and T. J. Lane, “The mental health of patients with a chief complaint of chronic fatigue. A prospective evaluation and follow-up,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 10, pp. 2213–2217, 1988.
- C. T. T. Lwin, M. Bishay, R. G. Platts, D. A. Booth, and S. J. Bowman, “The assessment of fatigue in primary Sjögren's syndrome,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2003.
- S. Wessely, T. Chalder, S. Hirsch, P. Wallace, and D. Wright, “The prevalence and morbidity of chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome: a prospective primary care study,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 1449–1455, 1997.
- V. Metta, K. Logishetty, and P. Martinez-Martin, “The possible clinical predictors of fatigue in Parkinson's disease: a study of 135 patients as part of international nonmotor scale validation project,” Parkinson's Disease, vol. 2011, Article ID 125271, 7 pages, 2011.
- K. L. Hester, J. G. Macfarlane, H. Tedd, et al., “Fatigue in bronchiectasis,” Quarterly Journal of Mathematics, vol. 105, pp. 235–240, 2012.
- L. P. JJelsness-Jorgensen, T. Bernklev, M. Henriksen, R. Torp, and B. A. Moum, “Chronic fatigue is associated with increased disease-related worries and concerns in inflammatory bowel disease,” World Journal of Gastroenterologys, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 445–452, 2012.
- D. Racciatti, V. Gorgoretti, G. Sepede, F. Gambi, and E. Pizzigallo, “An Italian study on health-related quality of life and fatigue in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and patients with chronic HCV virus infection: similarities and differences,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 24, pp. 673–681, 2011.
- P. Skapinakis, G. Lewis, and H. Meltzer, “Clarifying the relationship between unexplained chronic fatigue and psychiatric morbidity: results from a community survey in Great Britain,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 157, no. 9, pp. 1492–1498, 2000.
- R. Cairns and M. Hotopf, “A systematic review describing the prognosis of chronic fatigue syndrome,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 20–31, 2005.
- R. D. Kocalevent, A. Hinz, E. Brähler, and B. F. Klapp, “Determinants of fatigue and stress,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 4, article 238, 2011.
- R. Yehuda and J. Seckl, “Minireview: stress-related psychiatric disorders with low cortisol levels: a metabolic hypothesis,” Endocrinology, vol. 152, pp. 4496–4503, 2011.
- T. Chalder, G. Berelowitz, T. Pawlikowska et al., “Development of a fatigue scale,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 1993.
- D. M. Hann, P. B. Jacobsen, L. M. Azzarello et al., “Measurement of fatigue in cancer patients: development and validation of the Fatigue Symptom Inventory,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 301–310, 1998.
- D. J. Buysse, C. F. Reynolds III, T. H. Monk, S. R. Berman, and D. J. Kupfer, “The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 193–213, 1989.
- J. R. Hofstetter, P. H. Lysaker, and A. R. Mayeda, “Quality of sleep in patients with schizophrenia is associated with quality of life and coping,” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 5, article 13, 2005.
- N. A. DeMartinis and A. Winokur, “Effects of psychiatric medications on sleep and sleep disorders,” CNS and Neurological Disorders, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2007.
- F. Waters, D. Faulkner, N. Naik, and D. Rock, “Effects of polypharmacy on sleep in psychiatric inpatients,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 139, pp. 225–228, 2012.
- M. Pompili, D. Lester, A. Grispini et al., “Completed suicide in schizophrenia: evidence from a case-control study,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 251–257, 2009.
- M. Ritsner, R. Kurs, A. Ponizovsky, and J. Hadjez, “Perceived quality of life in schizophrenia: relationships to sleep quality,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 783–791, 2004.
- R. Morriss, M. Sharpe, A. L. Sharpley, P. J. Cown, K. Hawton, and J. Morris, “Abnormalities of sleep in patients with the chronic fatigue syndrome,” British Medical Journal, vol. 306, no. 6886, pp. 1161–1164, 1993.
- M. Lavidor, A. Weller, and H. Babkoff, “How sleep is related to fatigue,” British Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 95–105, 2003.
- F. Romito, C. Cormio, F. Giotta, G. Colucci, and V. Mattioli, “Quality of life, fatigue and depression in Italian long-term breast cancer survivors,” Support Care Cancer, vol. 20, pp. 2941–2948, 2012.
- R. K. Morriss, A. J. Wearden, and L. Battersby, “The relation of sleep difficulties to fatigue, mood and disability in chronic fatigue syndrome,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 597–605, 1997.
- A. Kishi, Z. R. Struzik, B. H. Natelson, F. Togo, and Y. Yamamoto, “Dynamics of sleep stage transitions in healthy humans and patients with chronic fatigue syndrome,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 6, pp. R1980–R1987, 2008.
- C. A. Magee, D. C. Iverson, X. F. Huang, and P. Caputi, “A link between chronic sleep restriction and obesity: methodological considerations,” Public Health, vol. 122, no. 12, pp. 1373–1381, 2008.
- A. Sharpley, A. Clements, K. Hawton, and M. Sharpe, “Do patients with “pure” chronic fatigue syndrome (neurasthenia) have abnormal sleep?” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 592–596, 1997.
- E. Fortier-Brochu, S. Beaulieu-Bonneau, H. Ivers, and C. M. Morin, “Relations between sleep, fatigue, and health-related quality of life in individuals with insomnia,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 475–483, 2010.
- J. C. Cole, S. J. Motivala, D. J. Buysse, M. N. Oxman, M. J. Levin, and M. R. Irwin, “Validation of a 3-factor scoring model for the Pittsburgh sleep quality index in older adults,” Sleep, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 112–116, 2006.
- J. E. Ware Jr. and C. D. Sherbourne, “The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 473–483, 1992.
- J. L. Hossain, P. Ahmad, L. W. Reinish, L. Kayumov, N. K. Hossain, and C. M. Shapiro, “Subjective fatigue and subjective sleepiness: two independent consequences of sleep disorders?” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 245–253, 2005.
- S. Vargas, W. K. Wohlgemuth, M. H. Antoni, S. C. Lechner, H. A. Holley, and C. S. Carver, “Sleep dysfunction and psychosocial adaptation among women undergoing treatment for non-metastatic breast cancer,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 669–673, 2010.
- L. Traeger, I. M. Braun, J. A. Greer, J. S. Temel, B. Cashavelly, and W. F. Pirl, “Parsing depression from fatigue in patients with cancer using the fatigue symptom inventory,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2011.
- Y. Garip, F. Eser, L. A. Aktekin, and H. Bodur, “Fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis: association with severity of pain, disease activity and functional status,” Acta Reumatol. Port, vol. 36, pp. 364–369, 2011.
- B. Green, “Focus on amisulpride,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 18, pp. 113–117, 2002.
- A. Royuela, J. Macias, J. A. Gil-Verona, et al., “Sleep in schizophrenia: a preliminary study using the pittsburgh sleep quality index,” Neurobiology of Sleep-Wakefulness Cycle, vol. 2, pp. 37–59, 2002.