- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stem Cells International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 547247, 6 pages
Vascular Guidance: Microstructural Scaffold Patterning for Inductive Neovascularization
1Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Handsurgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universität München, 80333 München, Germany
2Department of Plastic Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
3Division of Plastic Surgery and Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 119077
4Zentrum für Stammzellbiologie und Biotechnologie, Universität Leipzig, Germany
5Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter EX4 4QJ, UK
Received 4 August 2010; Accepted 18 August 2010
Academic Editor: Zongjin Li
Copyright © 2011 Daniel Muller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Ishaug-Riley, G. M. Crane-Kruger, M. J. Yaszemski, and A. G. Mikos, “Three-dimensional culture of rat calvarial osteoblasts in porous biodegradable polymers,” Biomaterials, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 1405–1412, 1998.
- O. Scheufler, D. J. Schaefer, C. Jaquiery et al., “Spatial and temporal patterns of bone formation in ectopically pre-fabricated, autologous cell-based engineered bone flaps in rabbits,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1238–1249, 2008.
- G. Akay, M. A. Birch, and M. A. Bokhari, “Microcellular polyHIPE polymer supports osteoblast growth and bone formation in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 18, pp. 3991–4000, 2004.
- C. E. Holy, J. A. Fialkov, J. E. Davies, and M. S. Shoichet, “Use of a biomimetic strategy to engineer bone,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 447–453, 2003.
- D. W. Hutmacher, T. Schantz, I. Zein, K. W. Ng, S. H. Teoh, and K. C. Tan, “Mechanical properties and cell cultural response of polycaprolactone scaffolds designed and fabricated via fused deposition modeling,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 203–216, 2001.
- J.-T. Schantz, S. H. Teoh, T. C. Lim, M. Endres, C. X. F. Lam, and D. W. Hutmacher, “Repair of calvarial defects with customized tissue-engineered bone grafts. I. Evaluation of osteogenesis in a three-dimensional culture system,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. S113–S126, 2003.
- H. Chim, D. W. Hutmacher, A. M. Chou et al., “A comparative analysis of scaffold material modifications for load-bearing applications in bone tissue engineering,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 928–934, 2006.
- I. Zein, D. W. Hutmacher, K. C. Tan, and S. H. Teoh, “Fused deposition modeling of novel scaffold architectures for tissue engineering applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1169–1185, 2002.
- J. T. Schantz and K. W. Ng, A Manual for Primary Human Cell Culture, World Scientific Publishing, River Edge, NJ, USA, 2004.
- D. J. Mooney and A. G. Mikos, “Growing new organs,” Scientific American, vol. 280, no. 4, pp. 60–65, 1999.
- J. H. Folkman and M. Hochberg, “Self regulation of growth in three dimensions,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 745–753, 1973.
- W. A. Morrison, E. Dvir, K. Doi, J. V. Hurley, M. J. Hickey, and B. M. O'Brien, “Prefabrication of thin transferable axial-pattern skin flaps: an experimental study in rabbits,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 645–654, 1990.
- R. K. Khouri, J. Upton, and W. W. Shaw, “Prefabrication of composite free flaps through staged microvascular transfer: an experimental and clinical study,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 108–115, 1991.
- W. A. Morrison, “Clinical applications and technical limitations of prefabricated flaps,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 378–385, 1997.
- Y. Tanaka, K.-C. Sung, A. Tsutsumi, S. Ohba, K. Ueda, and W. A. Morrison, “Tissue engineering skin flaps: which vascular carrier, arteriovenous shunt loop or arteriovenous bundle, has more potential for angiogenesis and tissue generation?” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1636–1644, 2003.
- Y. Tanaka, K.-C. Sung, M. Fumimoto et al., “Prefabricated engineered skin flap using an arteriovenous vascular bundle as a vascular carrier in rabbits,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 1860–1875, 2006.
- Z. Lokmic, F. Stillaert, W. A. Morrison, E. W. Thompson, and G. M. Mitchell, “An arteriovenous loop in a protected space generates a permanent, highly vascular, tissue-engineered construct,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 511–522, 2007.
- S. O. P. Hofer, K. M. Knight, J. J. Cooper-White et al., “Increasing the volume of vascularized tissue formation in engineered constructs: an experimental study in rats,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 1186–1192, 2003.
- J. H. Dolderer, K. M. Abberton, E. W. Thompson et al., “Spontaneous large volume adipose tissue generation from a vascularized pedicled fat flap inside a chamber space,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 673–681, 2007.
- A. Carraro, W.-M. Hsu, K. M. Kulig et al., “In vitro analysis of a hepatic device with intrinsic microvascular-based channels,” Biomedical Microdevices, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 795–805, 2008.
- P. Warnke, I. Springer, P. J. Wiltfang et al., “Growth and transplantation of a custom vascularised bone graft in a man,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9436, pp. 766–770, 2004.
- J.-T. Schantz, H. Chim, and M. Whiteman, “Cell guidance in tissue engineering: SDF-1 mediates site-directed homing of mesenchymal stem cells within three-dimensional polycaprolactone scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 2615–2624, 2007.
- H. Chim, J.-T. Schantz, and A. K. Gosain, “Beyond the vernacular: ew sources of cells for bone tissue engineering,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 755–764, 2008.