- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 125705, 29 pages
The Role of Inflammatory Cytokines, the RANKL/OPG Axis, and the Immunoskeletal Interface in Physiological Bone Turnover and Osteoporosis
1Atlanta Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
2Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism and Lipids, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, 101 Woodruff Circle, 1305 WMRB, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Received 6 December 2012; Accepted 24 December 2012
Academic Editors: G. Da Silva Xavier and E. Hajduch
Copyright © 2013 M. Neale Weitzmann. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [35 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Zachary S. Buchwald, and Rajeev Aurora, “Osteoclasts and CD8 T Cells Form a Negative Feedback Loop That Contributes to Homeostasis of Both the Skeletal and Immune Systems,” Clinical & Developmental Immunology, 2013.
- Liao Wang, Bi Zhang, Chongyun Bao, Pamela Habibovic, Jing Hu, and Xingdong Zhang, “Ectopic Osteoid and Bone Formation by Three Calcium-Phosphate Ceramics in Rats, Rabbits and Dogs,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 9, 2014.
- Ireen Koennecke, Alessandro Serra, Thaqif El Khassawna, Claudia Schlundt, Hanna Schell, Anja Hauser, Agnes Ellinghaus, Hans-Dieter Volk, Andreas Radbruch, Georg N. Duda, and Katharina Schmidt-Bleek, “T and B cells participate in bone repair by infiltrating the fracture callus in a two-wave fashion,” Bone, vol. 64, pp. 155–165, 2014.
- Hiromu Ito, “Clinical Considerations of Regenerative Medicine in Osteoporosis,” Current Osteoporosis Reports, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 230–234, 2014.
- Kok-Yong Chin, and Soelaiman Ima-Nirwana, “The Effects of α-Tocopherol on Bone: A Double-Edged Sword?,” Nutrients, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1424–1441, 2014.
- Kehmia Titanji, Aswani Vunnava, Anandi N. Sheth, Cecile Delille, Jeffrey L. Lennox, Sara E. Sanford, Antonina Foster, Andrea Knezevic, Kirk A. Easley, M. Neale Weitzmann, and Ighovwerha Ofotokun, “Dysregulated B Cell Expression of RANKL and OPG Correlates with Loss of Bone Mineral Density in HIV Infection,” Plos Pathogens, vol. 10, no. 11, 2014.
- Nicola Napoli, Rocky Strollo, Angela Paladini, Silvia I. Briganti, Paolo Pozzilli, and Sol Epstein, “The Alliance of Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone, and Diabetes,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2014, pp. 1–26, 2014.
- Shuang Tan, Binbin Zhang, Xiaomei Zhu, Ping Ao, Huajie Guo, Weihong Yi, and Guang-Qian Zhou, “Deregulation of Bone Forming Cells in Bone Diseases and Anabolic Effects of Strontium-Containing Agents and Biomaterials,” Biomed Research International, 2014.
- Sidan Li, Dehui Zou, Changhong Li, Hengxing Meng, Weiwei Sui, Sizhou Feng, Tao Cheng, Qiongli Zhai, and Lugui Qiu, “Targeting stem cell niche can protect hematopoietic stem cells from chemotherapy and G-CSF treatment,” Stem Cell Research & Therapy, vol. 6, 2015.
- Dawei Sun, Xiaochen Zheng, Yuhui Chen, Chunhong Jia, Song Xu, Chuangxin Lin, Pei Zhang, Zhongmin Zhang, Daozhang Cai, Dadi Jin, Baiyu Zhang, and Xiaochun Bai, “Enhancement of Osteogenesis Post-Splenectomy Does Not Attenuate Bone Loss in Ovariectomized Rats,” Journal Of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1356–1363, 2015.
- Qi Xiong, Lingli Xin, Licheng Zhang, Peifu Tang, and Lihai Zhang, “Recombinant receptor activator of nuclear factor B exhibits more marked inhibitory effects on osteoclasts compared with recombinant osteoprotegerin in,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 631–638, 2015.
- Kimberly Kish, Yasmeen Mezil, Wendy E. Ward, Panagiota Klentrou, and Bareket Falk, “Effects of plyometric exercise session on markers of bone turnover in boys and young men,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2015.
- Sidan Li, Tianshou Li, Yongbing Chen, Yinchao Nie, Changhong Li, Lanting Liu, Qiaochuan Li, and Lugui Qiu, “Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor Induces Osteoblast Inhibition by B Lymphocytes and Osteoclast Activation by T Lymphocytes during Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cell Mobilization,” Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 2015.
- Emanuela A. Greco, Rachele Fornari, Andrea Lenzi, and Silvia Migliaccio, “Osso e infiammazione,” L'Endocrinologo, 2015.
- Ping Kwan, “Osteoporosis: from osteoscience to neuroscience and beyond,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2015.
- Ying Zhang, Ying He, Yi Zong, Jiazhi Guo, Lin Sun, Yunbing Ma, Wei Dong, and Li Gui, “17 beta-estradiol attenuates homocysteine-induced oxidative stress and inflammatory response as well as MAPKs cascade via activating PI3-K/Akt signal ,” Acta Biochimica Et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 65–72, 2015.
- Crystal Holmes, Brian Schmidt, Michael Munson, and James S. Wrobel, “Charot stage 0: A review and consideratons for making the correct diagnosis early,” Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology, vol. 1, no. 1, 2015.
- X. Yuan, J. Cao, T. Liu, Y-P Li, F. Scannapieco, X. He, M. J. Oursler, X. Zhang, J. Vacher, C. Li, D. Olson, and S. Yang, “Regulators of G protein signaling 12 promotes osteoclastogenesis in bone remodeling and pathological bone loss,” Cell Death And Differentiation, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2046–2057, 2015.
- Natalia Ferreira Ribeiro Dias, Guilherme Ribeiro Juliano, Ana Paula Espindula, Flavia Aparecida de Oliveira, Livia Ferreira Oliveira, Camila Lourencini Cavellani, Luciana Santos Ramalho, Vicente de Paula Antunes Teixeira, and Mara Lucia da Fonseca Ferraz, “Influence of AIDS in collagen deposition and thickness of the bone marrow,” Annals Of Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 409–413, 2015.
- Kasoha Mariz, Juhasz-Boess Ingolf, Herr Daniel, Ney Jasmin Teresa, and Solomayer Erich-Franz, “The Wnt inhibitor dickkopf-1: a link between breast cancer and bone metastases,” Clinical & Experimental Metastasis, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 857–866, 2015.
- Li-Li Jiang, Cheuk-Lun Liu, Yuk-Lau Wong, Chun-Fong Nip, and Pang-Chui Shaw, “Differentiation of deer tendons from cattle tendons by a loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) test and bone remodeling bioassays,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, 2015.
- Sarah K. Sonnenschein, and Joerg Meyle, “Local inflammatory reactions in patients with diabetes and periodontitis,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 221–254, 2015.
- Feng-Jen Tseng, Wei-Tso Chia, Chih-Hung Wang, Jia-Fwu Shyu, Guo-Hau Gou, Hao-Ai Shui, Huey-Kang Sytwu, Ru-Yu Pan, and Ching-Feng Weng, “Carbon Monoxide Inhibits Receptor Activator of NF-kappa B (RANKL)-Induced Osteoclastogenesis,” Cellular Physiology And Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 1250–1258, 2015.
- Sujit Kootala, Dmitri Ossipov, Jeroen JJP van den Beucken, Sander Leeuwenburgh, and Jöns Hilborn, “Bisphosphonate-functionalized hyaluronic acid showing selective affinity for osteoclasts as a potential treatment for osteoporosis,” Biomater. Sci., vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1197–1207, 2015.
- S. Epstein, G. Defeudis, S. Manfrini, N. Napoli, and P. Pozzilli, “Diabetes and disordered bone metabolism (diabetic osteodystrophy): time for recognition,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1931–1951, 2016.
- Kristin M Aasarød, Masoud Ramezanzadehkoldeh, Maziar Shabestari, Mats P Mosti, Astrid K Stunes, Janne E Reseland, Vidar Beisvag, Erik Fink Eriksen, Arne K Sandvik, Reinhold G Erben, Christiane Schüler, Malcolm Boyce, Bjørn H Skallerud, Unni Syversen, and Reidar Fossmark, “ Skeletal effects of a gastrin receptor antagonist in H + /K + ATPase beta subunit KO mice ,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 230, no. 2, pp. 251–262, 2016.
- Hong Yu, “Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor 2 Regulates Proinflammatory Cytokine Production and Osteoclastogenesis,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 5, 2016.
- Rodica Pop-Busui, Lynn Ang, Crystal Holmes, Katherine Gallagher, and Eva L. Feldman, “Inflammation as a Therapeutic Target for Diabetic Neuropathies,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 16, no. 3, 2016.
- Adam M. Huber, and Leanne M. Ward, “The impact of underlying disease on fracture risk and bone mineral density in children with rheumatic disorders: A review of current literature,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 2016.
- Subhashis Pal, Kainat Khan, Shyamsundar Pal China, Monika Mittal, Konica porwal, Richa Shrivastava, Isha Taneja, Zakir Hossain, Dhanaraju Mandalapu, Jiaur R. Gayen, Muhammad Wahajuddin, Vishnu Lal Sharma, Arun K. Trivedi, Sabyasachi Sanyal, Smrati Bhadauria, Madan M. Godbole, Sushil K. Gupta, and Naibedya Chattopadhyay, “Theophylline, a methylxanthine drug induces osteopenia and alters calciotropic hormones, and prophylactic vitamin D treatment protects against these changes in rats,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2016.
- Wen-qi Shi, Jun Liu, Yi Cao, Ying-ying Zhu, Ke Guan, and Yu-ming Chen, “Association of dietary and serum vitamin E with bone mineral density in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults: a cross-sectional study,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 113–120, 2016.
- In-Jin Cho, Kyoung Hee Choi, Chi Hyuk Oh, You Cheol Hwang, In-Kyung Jeong, Kyu Jeung Ahn, and Ho-Yeon Chung, “Effects of C-reactive protein on bone cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 145, pp. 1–8, 2016.
- Mustafa Turgut Yıldızgören, Türkan Nadir Öziş, Ali Erdem Baki, Engin Tutkun, Hınç Yılmaz, Tülay Tiftik, Timur Ekiz, and Neşe Özgirgin, “Evaluation of bone mineral density and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in subjects with silica exposure,” Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine, 2016.
- Peter Pietschmann, Diana Mechtcheriakova, Anastasia Meshcheryakova, Ursula Foeger-Samwald, and Isabella Ellinger, “Immunology of Osteoporosis: A Mini-Review,” Gerontology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 128–137, 2016.
- Mengge Sun, Xiaoya Zhou, Lili Chen, Shishu Huang, Victor Leung, Nan Wu, Haobo Pan, Wanxin Zhen, William Lu, and Songlin Peng, “The Regulatory Roles of MicroRNAs in Bone Remodeling and Perspectives as Biomarkers in Osteoporosis,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–11, 2016.