- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 457982, 5 pages
Bullous Skin Diseases: Classical Types of Autoimmune Diseases
Laboratory of Clinical Immunology, Maastricht University Medical Center, P. Debyelaan 25, 6229 HX Maastricht, The Netherlands
Received 31 October 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editors: A. Amedei, G. Lesinski, and U. Tursen
Copyright © 2013 Jan Damoiseaux. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Schmidt and D. Zillikens, “Modern diagnosis of autoimmune blistering skin diseases,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 84–89, 2010.
- L. Sagi, S. Baum, N. Agmon-Levin et al., “Autoimmune bullous diseases. The spectrum of infectious agent antibodies and review of the literature,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 527–535, 2011.
- M. Sticherling and C. Erfurt-Berge, “Autoimmune blistering diseases of the skin,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 226–230, 2012.
- N. R. Rose and C. Bona, “Defining criteria for autoimmune diseases (Witebsky's postulates revisited),” Immunology Today, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 426–430, 1993.
- J. G. M. C. Damoiseaux and J. W. Cohen Tervaert, “The definition of autoimmune disease: are Koch's postulates applicable?” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 266–268, 2002.
- J. Damoiseaux and J. W. Cohen Tervaert, “Tests for autoantibodies,” in Encyclopedic Reference of Immunotoxicology, H. Vohr, Ed., pp. 68–72, Spinger, Heidelberg, Germany.
- E. Fuchs and S. Raghavan, “Getting under the skin of epidermal morphogenesis,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 199–209, 2002.
- P. Martel and P. Joly, “Pemphigus: autoimmune diseases of keratinocyte's adhesion molecules,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 662–674, 2001.
- M. Amagai, A. Komai, T. Hashimoto et al., “Usefulness of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using recombinant desmogleins 1 and 3 for serodiagnosis of pemphigus,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 351–357, 1999.
- M. Itsukaichi, K. Takakuwa, M. Yamaguchi, et al., “Twins with neonatal pemphigus vulgaris born to a mother with pemphigus vulgaris: a case report,” Pediatric Dermatology. In press.
- A. I. Lorente Lavirgen, J. Bernabeu-Wittel, J. Dominguez-Cruz, and J. Conejo-Mir, “Neonatal pemphigus foliaceus,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 161, no. 4, p. 768, 2012.
- G. J. Anhalt, R. S. Labib, and J. J. Voorhees, “Induction of pemphigus in neonatal mice by passive transfer of IgG from patients with the disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 306, no. 20, pp. 1189–1196, 1982.
- I. Juhasz, G. S. Lazarus, G. F. Murphy, L. M. Shih, and M. Herlyn, “Development of pemphigus vulgaris-like lesions in severe combined immunodeficiency disease mice reconstituted with lymphocytes from patients,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 2401–2407, 1993.
- M. Amagai, K. Tsunoda, H. Suzuki, K. Nishifuji, S. Koyasu, and T. Nishikawa, “Use of autoantigen-knockout mice in developing an active autoimmune disease model for pemphigus,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 625–631, 2000.
- S. Johnston and C. Kennedy, “Images in clinical medicine. Pemphigus foliaceus,” The New England journal of medicine., vol. 353, no. 24, p. 2589, 2005.
- Y. Aoyama, Y. Tsujimura, M. Funabashi, M. Sato, H. Kamiya, and Y. Kitajima, “An experience for ELISA for desmoglein 1, suggesting a possible diagnostic help to determine the initial therapy for pemphigus foliaceus,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 2000.
- D. T. Woodley, C. Chang, P. Saadat, R. Ram, Z. Liu, and M. Chen, “Evidence that anti-type VII collagen antibodies are pathogenic and responsible for the clinical, histological, and immunological features of epidermolysis bullosa acquisita,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 958–964, 2005.
- S. E. Kelly and F. Wojnarowska, “The use of chemically split tissue in the detection of circulating anti-basement membrane zone antibodies in bullous pemphigoid and cicatricial pemphigoid,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 1988.
- J. Damoiseaux, M. Van Rijsingen, N. Warnemünde, et al., “Autoantibody detection in bullous pemphigoid: clinical evaluation of the EUROPLUS dermatology mosaic,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 382, pp. 76–80, 2012.
- J. D. Fine, “Prevalence of autoantibodies to bullous pemphigoid antigens within the normal population,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 74–75, 2010.
- C. N. Wieland, N. I. Comfere, L. E. Gibson, A. L. Weaver, P. K. Krause, and J. A. Murray, “Anti-bullous pemphigoid 180 and 230 antibodies in a sample of unaffected subjects,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 2010.
- N. Al-Mutairi, A. K. Sharma, A. Zaki, E. El-Adawy, M. Al-Sheltawy, and O. Nour-Eldin, “Maternal and neonatal pemphigoid gestationis,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 202–204, 2004.
- W. Nishie, D. Sawamura, M. Goto et al., “Humanization of autoantigen,” Nature Medicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 378–383, 2007.
- H. Ujiie, A. Shibaki, W. Nishie et al., “A novel active mouse model for bullous pemphigoid targeting humanized pathogenic antigen,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 184, no. 4, pp. 2166–2174, 2010.
- Y. Tsuji-Abe, M. Akiyama, Y. Yamanaka, T. Kikuchi, K. C. Sato-Matsumura, and H. Shimizu, “Correlation of clinical severity and ELISA indices for the NC16A domain of BP180 measured using BP180 ELISA kit in bullous pemphigoid,” Journal of Dermatological Science, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 145–149, 2005.