- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 512840, 28 pages
Psychrophilic Enzymes: From Folding to Function and Biotechnology
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Centre for Protein Engineering, Institute of Chemistry, University of Liège, B6a, 4000 Liège, Belgium
Received 18 October 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editors: S. Bottomley and A. P. Malykhina
Copyright © 2013 Georges Feller. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [42 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- L. E. Petrovskaya, K. A. Novototskaya-Vlasova, E. A. Kryukova, E. M. Rivkina, D. A. Dolgikh, and M. P. Kirpichnikov, “Cell surface display of cold-active esterase EstPc with the use of a new autotransporter from Psychrobacter cryohalolentis K5T,” Extremophiles, 2014.
- Kalpana Hiteshi, and Reena Gupta, “Thermal adaptation of α-amylases: a review,” Extremophiles, 2014.
- Jan Kjølhede Vester, Mikkel Andreas Glaring, and Peter Stougaard, “An exceptionally cold-adapted alpha-amylase from a metagenomic library of a cold and alkaline environment,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2014.
- Nor Hafizah Ahmad Kamarudin, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd. Rahman, Mohd Shukuri Mohamad Ali, Thean Chor Leow, Mahiran Basri, and Abu Bakar Salleh, “A New Cold-Adapted, Organic Solvent Stable Lipase from Mesophilic Staphylococcus epidermidis AT2,” The Protein Journal, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 296–307, 2014.
- Virender Kumar, Poornima Yedavalli, Vishal Gupta, and Nalam Madhusudhana Rao, “Engineering lipase A from mesophilic Bacillus subtilis for activity at low temperatures,” Protein Engineering Design & Selection, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 73–82, 2014.
- Daisuke Mitsuya, Shun-ichi Tanaka, Hiroyoshi Matsumura, Naoto Urano, Kazufumi Takano, Kyoko Ogasahara, Michiyo Takehira, Katsuhide Yutani, and Masami Ishida, “Strategy for cold adaptation of the tryptophan synthase alpha subunit from the psychrophile Shewanella frigidimarina K14-2: crystal structure and physicochemical properties,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 73–82, 2014.
- Maria Giuliani, Ermenegilda Parrilli, Filomena Sannino, Gennaro Antonio Apuzzo, Gennaro Marino, and Maria Luisa Tutino, “Recombinant production of a single-chain antibody fragment in Pseudoalteromonas haloplanktis TAC125,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 4887–4895, 2014.
- Jonathan Maiangwa, Mohd Shukuri Mohamad Ali, Abu Bakar Salleh, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd Rahman, Fairolniza Mohd Shariff, and Thean Chor Leow, “Adaptational properties and applications of cold-active lipases from psychrophilic bacteria,” Extremophiles, 2014.
- L. N. Ramya, and K. K. Pulicherla, “Molecular insights into cold active polygalacturonase enzyme for its potential application in food processing,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2014.
- Sebastiana Angelaccio, Martino Luigi di Salvo, Alessia Parroni, Angela Di Bello, Roberto Contestabile, and Stefano Pascarella., “STRUCTURAL STABILITY OF COLD-ADAPTED SERINE HYDROXYMETHYLTRANSFERASE, A TOOL FOR β-HYDROXY-α-AMINO ACID BIOSYNTHESIS,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic, 2014.
- Pik Mun Foong, Roghayeh Abedi Karjiban, Yahaya M. Normi, Abu Bakar Salleh, and Mohd Basyaruddin Abdul Rahman, “Bioinformatics survey of the metal usage by psychrophilic yeast Glaciozyma antarctica PI12,” Metallomics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 156–164, 2014.
- Yasushi Yonezawa, Aiko Nagayama, Hiroko Tokunaga, Matsujiro Ishibashi, Shigeki Arai, Ryota Kuroki, Keiichi Watanabe, Tsutomu Arakawa, and Masao Tokunaga, “Nucleoside Diphosphate Kinase from Psychrophilic Pseudoalteromonas sp AS-131 Isolated from Antarctic Ocean,” Protein Journal, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 275–283, 2015.
- Gro Elin Kjæreng Bjerga, and Adele Kim Williamson, “Cold shock induction of recombinant Arctic environmental genes,” BMC Biotechnology, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Emanuele Bosi, Marco Fondi, Isabel Maida, Elena Perrin, Donatella de Pascale, Maria Luisa Tutino, Ermenegilda Parrilli, Angelina Lo Giudice, Alain Filloux, and Renato Fani, “Genome-scale phylogenetic and DNA composition analyses of Antarctic Pseudoalteromonas bacteria reveal inconsistencies in current taxonomic affiliation,” Hydrobiologia, 2015.
- Brook L. Nunn, Krystal V. Slattery, Karen A. Cameron, Emma Timmins-Schiffman, and Karen Junge, “Proteomics of Colwellia psychrerythraea at subzero temperatures - a life with limited movement, flexible membranes and vital DNA repair,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 2319–2335, 2015.
- Soheila Shokrollahzade, Fatemeh Sharifi, Akbar Vaseghi, Maryam Faridounnia, and Samad Jahandideh, “Protein cold adaptation: Role of physico-chemical parameters in adaptation of proteins to low temperatures,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, 2015.
- Mikyoung Ji, Callie V. Barnwell, and Amy M. Grunden, “Characterization of recombinant glutathione reductase from the psychrophilic Antarctic bacterium Colwellia psychrerythraea,” Extremophiles, 2015.
- Swati Bajaj, and Dileep K. Singh, “Biodegradation of persistent organic pollutants in soil, water and pristine sites by cold-adapted microorganisms: Mini review,” International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, vol. 100, pp. 98–105, 2015.
- Euiyoung Bae, Sojin Moon, and George N. Phillips, “Molecular dynamics simulation of a psychrophilic adenylate kinase,” Journal Of The Korean Society For Applied Biological Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 209–212, 2015.
- Skander Elleuche, Farah M. Qoura, Ute Lorenz, Torben Rehn, Thomas Brück, and Garabed Antranikian, “Cloning, expression and characterization of the recombinant cold-active type-I pullulanase from Shewanella arctica,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic, 2015.
- Anna Bujacz, Maria Rutkiewicz-Krotewicz, Karolina Nowakowska-Sapota, and Marianna Turkiewicz, “Crystal structure and enzymatic properties of a broad substrate-specificity psychrophilic aminotransferase from the Antarctic soil bacterium Psychroba,” Acta Crystallographica Section D-Biological Crystallography, vol. 71, pp. 632–645, 2015.
- Kjersti Lian, Hanna-Kirsti S. Leiros, and Elin Moe, “MutT from the fish pathogen Aliivibrio salmonicida is a cold-active nucleotide-pool sanitization enzyme with unexpectedly high thermostability,” FEBS Open Bio, 2015.
- Sepideh Parvizpour, Jafar Razmara, Ashraf Fadhil Jomah, Mohd Shahir Shamsir, and Rosli Mohd Illias, “Structural prediction of a novel laminarinase from the psychrophilic Glaciozyma antarctica PI12 and its temperature adaptation analysis,” Journal of Molecular Modeling, vol. 21, no. 3, 2015.
- Luciana Daniela Lario, Luciana Pellegrini Malpiedi, Jorge Fernando Brandão Pereira, Lara Durães Sette, and Adalberto Pessoa-Junior, “ Liquid-liquid extraction of protease from cold-adapted yeast Rhodotorula mucilaginosa L7 using biocompatible and biodegradable aqueous two-phase systems ,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2015.
- Hackwon Do, Ji-Sook Yun, Chang Woo Lee, Young Jun Choi, Hye-Yeon Kim, Youn-Jung Kim, Hyun Park, Jeong Ho Chang, and Jun Hyuck Lee, “Crystal Structure and Comparative Sequence Analysis of GmhA from Colwellia psychrerythraea Strain 34H Provides Insight into Functional Similarity with,” Molecules And Cells, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1086–1095, 2015.
- Felipe Sarmiento, Rocío Peralta, and Jenny M. Blamey, “Cold and Hot Extremozymes: Industrial Relevance and Current Trends,” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, vol. 3, 2015.
- Kamlesh Madhusudan Makwana, and Radhakrishnan Mahalakshmi, “Implications of aromatic-aromatic interactions: From protein structures to peptide models,” Protein Science, 2015.
- Laura J. Raiger Iustman, Paula M. Tribelli, Jose G. Ibarra, Mariela V. Catone, Esmeralda C. Solar Venero, and Nancy I. Lopez, “Genome sequence analysis of Pseudomonas extremaustralis provides new insights into environmental adaptability and extreme conditions resistance,” Extremophiles, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 207–220, 2015.
- Jan Kjolhede Vester, Mikkel Andreas Glaring, and Peter Stougaard, “Improved cultivation and metagenomics as new tools for bioprospecting in cold environments,” Extremophiles, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2015.
- Gabriel Zamith Leal Dalmaso, Davis Ferreira, and Alane Beatriz Vermelho, “Marine Extremophiles: A Source of Hydrolases for Biotechnological Applications,” Marine Drugs, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1925–1965, 2015.
- Masami Ishida, Chie Yoshida-Mishima, Yosuke Maeda, Masashi Yamamoto, Ryo Tsuda, Haruto Ishii, Naoto Urano, and Hiroshi Kabasawa, “Purification and enzymatic properties of a neutral metalloprotease produced from the cold-adapted Vibrio species Pr21 isolated from deep seawater in Sagami Bay,” Fisheries Science, 2016.
- Norhayati Yaacob, Mohd Shukuri Mohamad Ali, Abu Bakar Salleh, Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abdul Rahman, and Adam Leow Thean Chor, “Toluene promotes lid 2 interfacial activation of cold active solvent tolerant lipase from Pseudomonas fluorescens strain AMS8,” Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling, 2016.
- J.A. Pankowski, “ Use of essential gene, encoding prophobilinogen deaminase from extreme psychrophilic Colwellia sp. C1, to generate temperature-sensitive strain of Francisella novicida ,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 124–130, 2016.
- Frédéric Roulling, Amandine Godin, Alexandre Cipolla, Tony Collins, Kentaro Miyazaki, and Georges Feller, “Activity–stability relationships revisited in blue oxidases catalyzing electron transfer at extreme temperatures,” Extremophiles, 2016.
- Mehak Baweja, Lata Nain, Yutaka Kawarabayasi, and Pratyoosh Shukla, “Current Technological Improvements in Enzymes toward Their Biotechnological Applications,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Levi J. McClelland, and Bruce E. Bowler, “Lower Protein Stability Does Not Necessarily Increase Local Dynamics,” Biochemistry, 2016.
- Fernanda P. Cid, Joaquín I. Rilling, Steffen P. Graether, Leon A. Bravo, María de La Luz Mora, and Milko A. Jorquera, “Properties and biotechnological applications of ice-binding proteins in bacteria,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 363, no. 11, pp. fnw099, 2016.
- Radoslav Abrashev, Georges Feller, Nedelina Kostadinova, Ekaterina Krumova, Zlatka Alexieva, Maria Gerginova, Boryana Spasova, Jeni Miteva-Staleva, Spassen Vassilev, and Maria Angelova, “Production, purification and characterization of a novel cold-active superoxide dismutase from the Antarctic strain Aspergillus glaucus 363,” Fungal Biology, 2016.
- Vickery L. Arcus, Erica J. Prentice, Joanne K. Hobbs, Adrian J. Mulholland, Marc W. van der Kamp, Christopher Roland Pudney, Emily J. Parker, and Louis A. Schipper, “On the Temperature Dependence of Enzyme-catalyzed Rates,” Biochemistry, 2016.
- Markus Dick, Oliver H. Weiergraeber, Thomas Classen, Carolin Bisterfeld, Julia Bramski, Holger Gohlke, and Joerg Pietruszka, “Trading off stability against activity in extremophilic aldolases,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, 2016.
- Manuel Ferrer, Monica Martinez-Martinez, Rafael Bargiela, Wolfgang R. Streit, Olga V. Golyshina, and Peter N. Golyshin, “Estimating the success of enzyme bioprospecting through metagenomics: current status and future trends,” Microbial Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 22–34, 2016.
- Gro Elin Kjaereng Bjerga, Rahmi Lale, and Adele Kim Williamson, “Engineering low-temperature expression systems for heterologous production of cold-adapted enzymes,” Bioengineered, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2016.