- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 129196, 7 pages
Patent Foramen Ovale and Closure Technique with the Amplatzer Occluder
Cardiovascular Department, Bern University Hospital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Received 27 March 2014; Accepted 14 May 2014; Published 25 June 2014
Academic Editor: Alexander Ghanem
Copyright © 2014 Bernhard Meier. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Cohnheim, Pathology, Hirschwald, Berlin, Germany, 1877.
- T. D. King and N. L. Mills, “Nonoperative closure of atrial septal defects,” Surgery, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 383–388, 1974.
- N. D. Bridges, W. Hellenbrand, L. Latson, J. Filiano, J. W. Newburger, and J. E. Lock, “Transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale after presumed paradoxical embolism,” Circulation, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1902–1908, 1992.
- A. Wahl, T. Tai, F. Praz et al., “Late results after percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for secondary prevention of paradoxical embolism using the Amplatzer PFO occluder without intraprocedural echocardiography,” JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 116–123, 2009.
- A. Dowson, M. J. Mullen, R. Peatfield et al., “Migraine intervention with STARFlex technology (MIST) trial: a prospective, multicenter, double-blind, sham-controlled trial to evaluate the effectiveness of patent foramen ovale closure with STARFlex septal repair implant to resolve refractory migraine headache,” Circulation, vol. 117, no. 11, pp. 1397–1404, 2008.
- A. J. Furlan, M. Reisman, J. Massaro et al., “Closure or medical therapy for cryptogenic stroke with patent foramen ovale,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 11, pp. 991–999, 2012.
- G. D. Kitsios, I. J. Dahabreh, A. M. A. Dabrh, D. E. Thaler, and D. M. Kent, “Patent foramen ovale closure and medical treatments for secondary stroke prevention: a systematic review of observational and randomized evidence,” Stroke, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 422–431, 2012.
- B. Meier, B. Kalesan, H. P. Mattle et al., “Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic embolism,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 12, pp. 1083–1091, 2013.
- J. D. Carroll, J. L. Saver, D. E. Thaler et al., “Closure of patent foramen ovale versus medical therapy after cryptogenic stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 12, pp. 1092–1100, 2013.
- J. Udell, A. Opotowsky, P. Khairy et al., “Patent foramen ovale closure versus medical therapy for secondary stroke prevention: systematic review and meta analysis of randomized trials,” The Journal of the American Medical Association. In press.
- A. Hakeem, K. Marmagkiolis, Y. Hacioglu et al., “Safety and efficacy of device closure for patent foramen ovale for secondary prevention of neurological events: comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 349–355, 2013.
- G. Ntaios, V. Papavasileiou, H.-C. Diener, K. Makaritsis, and P. Michel, “PFO closure vs. medical therapy in cryptogenic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 101–105, 2013.
- A. Wahl, F. Praz, T. Tai et al., “Improvement of migraine headaches after percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale for secondary prevention of paradoxical embolism,” Heart, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 967–973, 2010.
- A. Wahl, P. Jüni, M.-L. Mono et al., “Long-term propensity score-matched comparison of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale with medical treatment after paradoxical embolism,” Circulation, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 803–812, 2012.
- M. Billinger, M. Schwerzmann, W. Rutishauser et al., “Patent foramen ovale screening by ear oximetry in divers,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 2013.
- F. A. Anderson Jr., H. B. Wheeler, R. J. Goldberg et al., “A population-based perspective of the hospital incidence and case-fatality rates of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: the Worcester DVT study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 5, pp. 933–938, 1991.