- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 180353, 5 pages
Relationship between Nutrition Knowledge and Physical Fitness in Semiprofessional Soccer Players
1Department of Physical and Cultural Education, Hellenic Army Academy, 16672 Athens, Greece
2Exercise Physiology Laboratory, 18450 Nikaia, Greece
3Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, University of Athens, 17237 Athens, Greece
Received 20 January 2014; Revised 3 July 2014; Accepted 11 July 2014; Published 21 July 2014
Academic Editor: Lawrence M. Lewis
Copyright © 2014 P. T. Nikolaidis and E. Theodoropoulou. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Nutrition for football: the FIFA/F-MARC Consensus Conference,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 663–664, 2006.
- J. Bangsbo, M. Mohr, and P. Krustrup, “Physical and metabolic demands of training and match-play in the elite football player,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 665–674, 2006.
- L. M. Burke, A. B. Loucks, and N. Broad, “Energy and carbohydrate for training and recovery,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 675–685, 2006.
- K. Clark, “Nutritional guidance to soccer players for training and competition,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 12, pp. S43–S50, 1994.
- M. Hargreaves, “Carbohydrate and lipid requirements of soccer,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 12, pp. S13–S16, 1994.
- O. Bar-Or and V. B. Unnithan, “Nutritional requirements of young soccer players,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 12, pp. S39–S42, 1994.
- S. M. Shirreffs, “Hydration: special issues for playing football in warm and hot environments,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, vol. 20, supplement 3, pp. 90–94, 2010.
- C. M. Reñón and P. S. Collado, “Nutritional study of a third division soccer team,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 319–324, 2013.
- G. Garrido, A. L. Webster, and M. Chamorro, “Nutritional adequacy of different menu settings in elite Spanish adolescent soccer players,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 421–432, 2007.
- F. Ruiz, A. Irazusta, S. Gil, J. Irazusta, L. Casis, and J. Gil, “Nutritional intake is soccer players of different ages,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 235–242, 2005.
- J. C. Leblanc, F. Le Gall, V. Grandjean, and P. Verger, “Nutritional intake of French soccer players at the Clairefontaine training center,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 268–280, 2002.
- C. A. Rosenbloom, S. S. Jonnalagadda, and R. Skinner, “Nutrition knowledge of collegiate athletes in a division I National Collegiate Athletic Association Institution,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 418–420, 2002.
- J. Parizkova, Body Fat and Physical Fitness, Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, The Netherlands, 1977.
- F. Ayala, P. Sainz de Baranda, M. De Ste Croix, and F. Santonja, “Reproducibility and criterion-related validity of the sit and reach test and toe touch test for estimating hamstring flexibility in recreationally active young adults,” Physical Therapy in Sport, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 219–226, 2012.
- J. Bland, K. Pfeiffer, and J. C. Eisenmann, “The PWC170: comparison of diVerent stage lengths in 11–16 year olds,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1955–1961, 2012.
- T. Driss and H. Vandewalle, “The measurement of maximal (anaerobic) power output on a cycle ergome ter: a critical review,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 589361, 40 pages, 2013.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 1988.
- P. T. Nikolaidis, “Age-related differences in countermovement vertical jump in soccer players 8–31 years old: the role of fat free mass,” American Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 60–64, 2014.
- C. Aouichaoui, Y. Trabelsi, E. Bouhlel et al., “The relative contributions of anthropometric variables to vertical jumping ability and leg power in Tunisian children,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 777–788, 2012.
- S. Heaney, H. O'Connor, S. Michael, J. Gifford, and G. Naughton, “Nutrition knowledge in athletes: a systematic review,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 248–261, 2011.
- I. Spronk, C. Kullen, C. Burdon, and H. O’Connor, “Relationship between nutrition knowledge and dietary intake,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 1713–176, 2014.
- M. W. Valliant, H. Pittman, R. K. Wenzel, and B. H. Garner, “Nutrition education by a registered dietitian improves dietary intake and nutrition knowledge of a NCAA female volleyball team,” Nutrients, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 506–516, 2012.
- D. A. Abood, D. R. Black, and R. D. Birnbaum, “Nutrition education intervention for college female athletes,” Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 135–139, 2004.
- L. Martinelli, “The implementation and evaluation of a nutrition education programme for university elite athletes,” Progress in Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 71–80, 2013.
- B. J. Hoogenboom, J. Morris, C. Morris, and K. Schaefer, “Nutritional knowledge and eating behaviors of female, collegiate swimmers,” North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 139–148, 2009.
- L. G. Zawila, C. M. Steib, and B. Hoogenboom, “The female collegiate cross-country runner: nutritional knowledge and attitudes,” Journal of Athletic Training, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 67–74, 2003.
- M. Walsh, L. Cartwright, C. Corish, S. Sugrue, and R. Wood-Martin, “The body composition, nutritional knowledge, attitudes, behaviors, and future education needs of senior schoolboy rugby players in Ireland,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 365–376, 2011.
- W. Sichert-Hellert, L. Beghin, S. de Henauw et al., “Nutritional knowledge in European adolescents: results from the HELENA (Healthy Lifestyle in Europe by Nutrition in Adolescence) study,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2083–2091, 2011.
- J. K. Spendlove, S. E. Heaney, J. A. Gifford, T. Prvan, G. S. Denyer, and H. T. O'Connor, “Evaluation of general nutrition knowledge in elite Australian athletes,” The British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 1871–1880, 2012.
- F. J. Gravetter and L. A. B. Forzano, Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences, Wadsworth, Belmont, Mass, USA, 4th edition, 2012.
- L. Burke and V. Deakin, Clinical Sports Nutrition, McGraw-Hill, North Ryde, Australia, 4th edition, 2010.