- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 231083, 6 pages
Biofilm Localization in the Vertical Wall of Shaking 96-Well Plates
LEPABE, Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto, Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200-465 Porto, Portugal
Received 20 November 2013; Accepted 19 December 2013; Published 13 April 2014
Academic Editors: M. Rodrigues and A. Sellam
Copyright © 2014 Luciana C. Gomes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Costerton, P. S. Stewart, and E. P. Greenberg, “Bacterial biofilms: a common cause of persistent infections,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5418, pp. 1318–1322, 1999.
- P. Stoodley, K. Sauer, D. G. Davies, and J. W. Costerton, “Biofilms as complex differentiated communities,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 56, pp. 187–209, 2002.
- V. Hancock, L. Ferrières, and P. Klemm, “Biofilm formation by asymptomatic and virulent urinary tract infectious Escherichia coli strains,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 267, no. 1, pp. 30–37, 2007.
- T. Coenye and H. J. Nelis, “In vitro and in vivo model systems to study microbial biofilm formation,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 89–105, 2010.
- J. S. Teodósio, M. Simões, L. F. Melo, and F. J. Mergulhão, “Platforms for in vitro biofilm studies,” in Biofilms in Bioengineering, M. Simões and F. Mergulhão, Eds., pp. 45–62, Nova Science, New York. NY, USA, 2013.
- J. M. R. Moreira, L. C. Gomes, J. D. P. Araújo, et al., “The effect of glucose concentration and shaking conditions on Escherichia coli biofilm formation in microtiter plates,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 94, pp. 192–199, 2013.
- E. Peeters, H. J. Nelis, and T. Coenye, “Comparison of multiple methods for quantification of microbial biofilms grown in microtiter plates,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 157–165, 2008.
- M. Erriu, F. M. G. Pili, E. Tuveri, et al., “Oil essential mouthwashes antibacterial activity against Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans: a comparison between antibiofilm and antiplanktonic effects,” International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 164267, 5 pages, 2013.
- D. Minardi, O. Cirioni, R. Ghiselli et al., “Efficacy of tigecycline and rifampin alone and in combination against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm infection in a rat model of ureteral stent,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 176, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- C. Sanchez, K. Mende, M. Beckius, et al., “Biofilm formation by clinical isolates and the implications in chronic infections,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, article 47, 2013.
- E. Hell, C. Giske, K. Hultenby, et al., “Attachment and biofilm forming capabilities of Staphylococcus epidermidis strains isolated from preterm infants,” Current Microbiology, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 712–717, 2013.
- M.-H. Lin, F.-R. Chang, M.-Y. Hua, Y.-C. Wu, and S.-T. Liu, “Inhibitory effects of 1,2,3,4,6-penta-O-galloyl-β-D-glucopyranose on biofilm formation by Staphylococcus aureus,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1021–1027, 2011.
- C. De La Fuente-Núñez, V. Korolik, M. Bains et al., “Inhibition of bacterial biofilm formation and swarming motility by a small synthetic cationic peptide,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 2696–2704, 2012.
- G. D. Christensen, W. A. Simpson, and J. J. Younger, “Adherence of coagulase-negative staphylococci to plastic tissue culture plates: a quantitative model for the adherence of staphylococci to medical devices,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 996–1006, 1985.
- X. Li, Z. Yan, and J. Xu, “Quantitative variation of biofilms among strains in natural populations of Candida albicans,” Microbiology, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 353–362, 2003.
- S. Stepanović, D. Vuković, I. Dakić, B. Savić, and M. Švabić-Vlahović, “A modified microtiter-plate test for quantification of staphylococcal biofilm formation,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 2000.
- L. Crémet, S. Corvec, E. Batard, et al., “Comparison of three methods to study biofilm formation by clinical strains of Escherichia coli,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 252–255, 2013.
- L. R. Martinez and A. Casadevall, “Specific antibody can prevent fungal biofilm formation and this effect correlates with protective efficacy,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 6350–6362, 2005.
- A. Bridier, D. Le Coq, F. Dubois-Brissonnet, V. Thomas, S. Aymerich, and R. Briandet, “The spatial architecture of Bacillus subtilis biofilms deciphered using a surface-associated model and in situ imaging,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e16177, 2011.
- V. Kostenko, M. M. Salek, P. Sattari, and R. J. Martinuzzi, “Staphylococcus aureus biofilm formation and tolerance to antibiotics in response to oscillatory shear stresses of physiological levels,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 421–431, 2010.
- J. S. Teodósio, M. Simões, and F. J. Mergulhão, “The influence of nonconjugative Escherichia coli plasmids on biofilm formation and resistance,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 373–382, 2012.
- J. S. Teodósio, M. Simões, L. F. Melo, and F. J. Mergulhão, “Flow cell hydrodynamics and their effects on E. coli biofilm formation under different nutrient conditions and turbulent flow,” Biofouling, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2011.
- S. Shakeri, R. K. Kermanshahi, M. M. Moghaddam, and G. Emtiazi, “Assessment of biofilm cell removal and killing and biocide efficacy using the microtiter plate test,” Biofouling, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 79–86, 2007.
- L. Gomes, J. M. R. Moreira, J. M. Miranda, et al., “Macroscale versus microscale methods for physiological analysis of biofilms formed in 96-well microtiter plates,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 342–349, 2013.
- Y. Liu and J.-H. Tay, “The essential role of hydrodynamic shear force in the formation of biofilm and granular sludge,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1653–1665, 2002.
- P. Stoodley, S. Wilson, L. Hall-Stoodley, J. D. Boyle, H. M. Lappin-Scott, and J. W. Costerton, “Growth and detachment of cell clusters from mature mixed-species biofilms,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 5608–5613, 2001.
- S. Wäsche, H. Horn, and D. C. Hempel, “Influence of growth conditions on biofilm development and mass transfer at the bulk/biofilm interface,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 19, pp. 4775–4784, 2002.
- H. J. Busscher and H. C. van der Mei, “Microbial adhesion in flow displacement systems,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 127–141, 2006.
- M. Simões, M. O. Pereira, S. Sillankorva, J. Azeredo, and M. J. Vieira, “The effect of hydrodynamic conditions on the phenotype of Pseudomonas fluorescens biofilms,” Biofouling, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 249–258, 2007.
- J. S. Teodósio, F. C. Silva, J. M. R. Moreira, et al., “Flow cells as quasi ideal systems for biofouling simulation of industrial piping systems,” Biofouling, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 953–966, 2013.
- M. C. M. Van Loosdrecht, D. Eikelboom, A. Gjaltema, A. Mulder, L. Tijhuis, and J. J. Heijnen, “Biofilm structures,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 35–43, 1995.
- J. M. R. Moreira, J. S. Teodósio, F. C. Silva, et al., “Influence of flow rate variation on the development of Escherichia coli biofilms,” Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1787–1796, 2013.
- W. K. Kwok, C. Picioreanu, S. L. Ong, et al., “Influence of biomass production and detachment forces on biofilm structures in a biofilm airlift suspension reactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 400–407, 1998.
- A. Rochex, J.-J. Godon, N. Bernet, and R. Escudié, “Role of shear stress on composition, diversity and dynamics of biofilm bacterial communities,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 4915–4922, 2008.
- A. Bridier, T. Meylheuc, and R. Briandet, “Realistic representation of Bacillus subtilis biofilms architecture using combined microscopy (CLSM, ESEM and FESEM),” Micron, vol. 48, pp. 65–69, 2013.
- M. G. White, S. Piccirillo, V. Dusevich, D. J. Law, T. Kapros, and S. M. Honigberg, “Flo11p adhesin required for meiotic differentiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae minicolonies grown on plastic surfaces,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 223–232, 2011.
- C. L. Quave, M. Estévez-Carmona, C. M. Compadre et al., “Ellagic acid derivatives from Rubus ulmifolius inhibit Staphylococcus aureus biofilm formation and improve response to antibiotics,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e28737, 2012.
- A. Lizcano, T. Chin, K. Sauer, E. I. Tuomanen, and C. J. Orihuela, “Early biofilm formation on microtiter plates is not correlated with the invasive disease potential of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Microbial Pathogenesis, vol. 48, no. 3-4, pp. 124–130, 2010.
- A. S. Melo, A. L. Colombo, and B. A. Arthington-Skaggs, “Paradoxical growth effect of caspofungin observed on biofilms and planktonic cells of five different Candida species,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 3081–3088, 2007.
- W. A. Duetz, “Microtiter plates as mini-bioreactors: miniaturization of fermentation methods,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 469–475, 2007.
- K. Honraet, E. Goetghebeur, and H. J. Nelis, “Comparison of three assays for the quantification of Candida biomass in suspension and CDC reactor grown biofilms,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 287–295, 2005.
- S. Kumar, C. Wittmann, and E. Heinzle, “Review: minibioreactors,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2004.
- N. F. Azevedo, S. P. Lopes, C. W. Keevil, M. O. Pereira, and M. J. Vieira, “Time to “go large” on biofilm research: advantages of an omics approach,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 477–485, 2009.
- K. Toté, D. V. Berghe, L. Maes, and P. Cos, “A new colorimetric microtitre model for the detection of Staphylococcus aureus biofilms,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 249–254, 2008.
- T. A. Norton, R. C. Thompson, J. Pope et al., “Using confocal laser scanning microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and phase contrast light microscopy to examine marine biofilms,” Aquatic Microbial Ecology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1998.
- D. O. Serra, A. M. Richter, G. Klauck, et al., “Microanatomy at cellular resolution and spatial order of physiological differentiation in a bacterial biofilm,” mBio, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. e100103–e100113, 2013.
- P. S. Stewart, R. Murga, R. Srinivasan, and D. De Beer, “Biofilm structural heterogeneity visualized by three microscopic methods,” Water Research, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 2006–2009, 1995.
- S. B. Surman, J. T. Walker, D. T. Goddard et al., “Comparison of microscope techniques for the examination of biofilms,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 57–70, 1996.
- C. Hannig, M. Follo, E. Hellwig, and A. Al-Ahmad, “Visualization of adherent micro-organisms using different techniques,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2010.
- A. Bridier, F. Dubois-Brissonnet, A. Boubetra, V. Thomas, and R. Briandet, “The biofilm architecture of sixty opportunistic pathogens deciphered using a high throughput CLSM method,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 64–70, 2010.
- M. Fedel, P. Caciagli, V. Chistè, et al., “Microbial biofilm imaging ESEM vs. HVSEM,” Imaging & Microscopy, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 44–47, 2007.
- R. J. Palmer Jr., J. J. Haagensen, T. Neu, and C. Sternberg, “Confocal microscopy of biofilms—spatiotemporal approaches,” in Handbook of Biological Confocal Microscopy, J. B. Pawley, Ed., pp. 870–888, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.