- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 613689, 9 pages
Gender Differences in Pulmonary Function, Respiratory Symptoms, and Macrophage Proteomics among HIV-Infected Smokers
1Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH, USA
2201 Davis Heart and Lung Institute, 473 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
3Department of Statistics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
4Department of Radiology, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
5Department of Pathology, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Received 1 December 2013; Accepted 23 January 2014; Published 4 March 2014
Academic Editors: P. Borger and G. Miserocchi
Copyright © 2014 Shiva D. Rahmanian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. D. Mathers and D. Loncar, “Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 3, no. 11, article e442, 2006.
- D. M. Mannino, D. M. Homa, L. J. Akinbami, E. S. Ford, and S. C. Redd, “Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease surveillance—United States, 1971–2000,” MMWR Surveillance Summaries, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1–16, 2002.
- K. Tatsumi, Y. Kasahara, K. Kurosu, N. Tanabe, Y. Takiguchi, and T. Kuriyama, “Clinical phenotypes of COPD: results of a Japanese epidemiological survey,” Respirology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 2004.
- P. Carrasco-Garrido, J. de Miguel-Díez, J. Rejas-Gutierrez et al., “Characteristics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Spain from a gender perspective,” BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 9, article 2, 2009.
- E. K. Silverman, S. T. Weiss, J. M. Drazen et al., “Gender-related differences in severe, early-onset chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 2152–2158, 2000.
- P. T. Diaz, M. A. King, E. R. Pacht et al., “Increased susceptibility to pulmonary emphysema among HIV-seropositive smokers,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 369–372, 2000.
- M. R. Gingo, M. P. George, C. J. Kessinger et al., “Pulmonary function abnormalities in HIV-infected patients during the current antiretroviral therapy era,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 790–796, 2010.
- K. Crothers, B. W. Thompson, K. Burkhardt et al., “HIV-associated lung infections and complications in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy,” Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 2011.
- H. I. Goldman and M. R. Becklake, “Respiratory function tests; normal values at median altitudes and the prediction of normal results,” American Review of Tuberculosis, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 457–467, 1959.
- R. O. Crapo, A. H. Morris, and R. M. Gardner, “Reference spirometric values using techniques and equipment that meet ATS recommendations,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 659–664, 1981.
- A. Miller, J. C. Thornton, and R. Warshaw, “Single breath diffusing capacity in a representative sample of the population of Michigan, a large industrial state. Predicted values, lower limits of normal, and frequencies of abnormality by smoking history,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 270–277, 1983.
- M. A. King, D. E.neal, R. S. John, J. Tsai, and P. T.diaz, “Bronchial dilatation in patients with HIV infection: CT assessment and correlation with pulmonary function tests and findings at bronchoalveolar lavage,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 168, no. 6, pp. 1535–1540, 1997.
- M. Jin, J. M. Opalek, C. B. Marsh, and H. M. Wu, “Proteome comparison of alveolar macrophages with monocytes reveals distinct protein characteristics,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 322–329, 2004.
- P. K. Smith, R. I. Krohn, and G. T. Hermanson, “Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 76–85, 1985.
- M. Jin, G. Drwal, T. Bourgeois, J. Saltz, and H. M. Wu, “Distinct proteome features of plasma microparticles,” Proteomics, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1940–1952, 2005.
- H. M. Wu, M. Jin, and C. B. Marsh, “Toward functional proteomics of alveolar macrophages,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 288, no. 4, pp. L585–L595, 2005.
- M. T. Dransfield, G. R. Washko, M. G. Foreman, R. S. J. Estepar, J. Reilly, and W. C. Bailey, “Gender differences in the severity of CT emphysema in COPD,” Chest, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 464–470, 2007.
- T. Laitinen, U. Hodgson, H. Kupiainen et al., “Real-world clinical data identifies gender-related profiles in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 256–262, 2009.
- L. Watson, J. M. Vonk, C. G. Löfdahl et al., “Predictors of lung function and its decline in mild to moderate COPD in association with gender: results from the Euroscop study,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 746–753, 2006.
- J. Hirsch, K. C. Hansen, A. L. Burlingame, and M. A. Matthay, “Proteomics: current techniques and potential applications to lung disease,” American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. L1–L23, 2004.
- S. Hanash, “Disease proteomics,” Nature, vol. 422, no. 6928, pp. 226–232, 2003.
- V. Vetvicka and M. Fusek, “Procathepsin D as a tumor marker, anti-cancer drug or screening agent,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 172–175, 2012.
- M. Schuur, M. A. Ikram, J. C. van Swieten et al., “Cathepsin D gene and the risk of Alzheimer's disease: a population-based study and meta-analysis,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1607–1614, 2011.
- K. El Messaoudi, L. F. Thiry, C. Liesnard, N. Van Tieghem, A. Bollen, and N. Moguilevsky, “A human milk factor susceptible to cathepsin D inhibitors enhances human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectivity and allows virus entry into a mammary epithelial cell line,” Journal of Virology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 1004–1007, 2000.
- T. Zheng, Z. Zhu, Z. Wang et al., “Inducible targeting of IL-13 to the adult lung causes matrix metalloproteinase- and cathepsin-dependent emphysema,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 1081–1093, 2000.
- Y. Yayoi, Y. Ohsawa, M. Koike, G. Zhang, E. Kominami, and Y. Uchiyama, “Specific localization of lysosomal aminopeptidases in type II alveolar epithelial cells of the rat lung,” Archives of Histology and Cytology, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2001.
- Y. Ito and R. J. Mason, “The effect of interleukin-13 (IL-13) and interferon-γ (IFN-γ) on expression of surfactant proteins in adult human alveolar type II cells in vitro,” Respiratory Research, vol. 11, article 157, 2010.
- M. G. Foreman, D. L. DeMeo, C. P. Hersh et al., “Polymorphic variation in surfactant protein B is associated with COPD exacerbations,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 938–944, 2008.
- M. Kohler, A. Sandberg, S. Kjellqvist et al., “Gender differences in the bronchoalveolar lavage cell proteome of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 743–751, 2013.