- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 765629, 8 pages
Therapy of Hypoparathyroidism by Replacement with Parathyroid Hormone
Department of Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage-Hansens Gade 2, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Received 15 January 2014; Revised 9 June 2014; Accepted 12 June 2014; Published 1 July 2014
Academic Editor: Gregory Fraley
Copyright © 2014 Lars Rejnmark et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. V. Thakker, “Genetic developments in hypoparathyroidism,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9261, pp. 974–976, 2001.
- K. Lima, T. G. Abrahamsen, A. B. Wolff et al., “Hypoparathyroidism and autoimmunity in the 22q11.2 deletion syndrome,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 345–352, 2011.
- H. Al-Azem and A. A. Khan, “Hypoparathyroidism,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 517–522, 2012.
- L. Underbjerg, T. Sikjaer, L. Mosekilde, and L. Rejnmark, “Cardiovascular and renal complications to postsurgical hypoparathyroidism: a Danish nationwide controlled historic follow-up study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2277–2285, 2013.
- B. Clarke, C. L. Leibson, J. Emerson, J. C. Ransom, and H. Lagast, “Co-morbid medical conditions associated with prevalent hypoparathyroidism: a population-based,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, supplement 1, 2011, http://www.asbmr.org/Meetings/AnnualMeeting/AbstractDetail.aspx?aid=9981fa1f-6bd8-41ec-8b16-9fd94fefd913.
- J. Powers, K. Joy, A. Ruscio, and H. Lagast, “Prevalence and incidence of hypoparathyroidism in the United States using a large claims database,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 28, pp. 2570–2576, 2013.
- W. Arlt, C. Fremerey, F. Callies et al., “Well-being, mood and calcium homeostasis in patients with hypoparathyroidism receiving standard treatment with calcium and vitamin D,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 215–222, 2002.
- N. Hadker, J. Egan, J. Sanders, H. Lagast, and B. Clarke, “Understanding the burden of illness associated with hypoparathyroidism reported among patients in the Paradox study,” Endocrine Practice, pp. 1–35, 2014.
- S. Aggarwal, S. Kailash, R. Sagar et al., “Neuropsychological dysfunction in idiopathic hypoparathyroidism and its relationship with intracranial calcification and serum total calcium,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 168, no. 6, pp. 895–903, 2013.
- T. Sikjaer, L. Rolighed, A. Hess, A. Fuglsang-Frederiksen, L. Mosekilde, and L. Rejnmark, “Effects of PTH(1-84) therapy on muscle function and quality of life in hypoparathyroidism: results from a randomized controlled trial,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1717–1726, 2014.
- A. G. Bagó, E. Dimitrov, R. Saunders et al., “Parathyroid hormone 2 receptor and its endogenous ligand tuberoinfundibular peptide of 39 residues are concentrated in endocrine, viscerosensory and auditory brain regions in macaque and human,” Neuroscience, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 128–147, 2009.
- A. Tomaschitz, E. Ritz, B. Pieske, et al., “Aldosterone and parathyroid hormone interactions as mediators of metabolic and cardiovascular disease,” Metabolism, vol. 63, pp. 20–31, 2014.
- D. M. Mitchell, S. Regan, M. R. Cooley et al., “Long-term follow-up of patients with hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 4507–4514, 2012.
- B. L. Clarke, J. Kay Berg, J. Fox, J. A. Cyran, and H. Lagast, “Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of subcutaneous recombinant parathyroid hormone (1–84) in patients with hypoparathyroidism: an open-label, single-dose, phase I study,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 722–736, 2014.
- P. A. Tambyah, B. K. C. Ong, and K. O. Lee, “Reversible parkinsonism and asymptomatic hypocalcemia with basal ganglia calcification from hypoparathyroidism 26 years after thyroid surgery,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 444–445, 1993.
- A. Uncini, A. Tartaro, S. E. Di Stefano, and D. Gambi, “Parkinsonism, basal ganglia calcification and epilepsy as late complications of postoperative hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 109–111, 1985.
- T. Sikjaer, L. Rejnmark, L. Rolighed, L. Heickendorff, L. Mosekilde, and The Hypoparathyroid Study Group, “The effect of adding PTH(1-84) to conventional treatment of hypoparathyroidism: a randomized, placebo-controlled study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 2358–2370, 2011.
- T. Sikjaer, A. K. Amstrup, L. Rolighed, S. G. Kjaer, L. Mosekilde, and L. Rejnmark, “PTH (1–84) replacement therapy in hypoparathyroidism: a Randomized Controlled Trial on Pharmacokinetic and Dynamic effects following 6 months of treatment,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 28, pp. 2232–2243, 2013.
- S. E. Liebman, J. G. Taylor, and D. A. Bushinsky, “Idiopathic hypercalciuria,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 70–75, 2006.
- T. Sikjaer, L. Rejnmark, J. S. Thomsen et al., “Changes in 3-dimensional bone structure indices in hypoparathyroid patients treated with PTH(1-84): a randomized controlled study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 781–788, 2012.
- F. Albright and R. Ellsworth, “Studies on the physiology of the parathyroid glands: I. Calcium and Phosphorus Studies on a Case of Idiopathic Hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 7, pp. 183–201, 1929.
- R. A. Melick, J. R. Gill Jr., S. A. Berson et al., “Antibodies and clinical resistance to parathyroid hormone,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 276, no. 3, pp. 144–147, 1967.
- K. K. Winer, N. Sinaii, D. Peterson, B. Sainz Jr., and G. B. Cutler Jr., “Effects of once versus twice-daily parathyroid hormone 1-34 therapy in children with hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 9, pp. 3389–3395, 2008.
- K. K. Winer, N. Sinaii, J. Reynolds, D. Peterson, K. Dowdy, and G. B. Cutler Jr., “Long-term treatment of 12 children with chronic hypoparathyroidism: a randomized trial comparing synthetic human parathyroid hormone 1-34 versus calcitriol and calcium,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2680–2688, 2010.
- K. K. Winer, B. Zhang, J. A. Shrader et al., “Synthetic human parathyroid hormone 1-34 replacement therapy: a randomized crossover trial comparing pump versus injections in the treatment of chronic hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 391–399, 2012.
- K. K. Winer, J. A. Yanovski, B. Sarani, and G. B. Cutler Jr., “A randomized, cross-over trial of once-daily versus twice-daily parathyroid hormone 1-34 in treatment of hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 3480–3486, 1998.
- K. K. Winer, C. W. Ko, J. C. Reynolds et al., “Long-term treatment of hypoparathyroidism: a randomized controlled study comparing parathyroid hormone-(1–34) versus calcitriol and calcium,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 4214–4220, 2003.
- K. K. Winer, J. A. Yanovski, and G. B. Cutler Jr., “Synthetic human parathyroid hormone 1-34 vs calcitriol and calcium in the treatment of hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 8, pp. 631–636, 1996.
- M. R. Rubin, D. W. Dempster, J. Sliney Jr. et al., “PTH(1-84) administration reverses abnormal bone-remodeling dynamics and structure in hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 2727–2736, 2011.
- M. Mannstadt, B. L. Clarke, T. Vokes et al., “Efficacy and safety of recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1-84) in hypoparathyroidism (REPLACE): a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised, phase 3 study,” The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 275–283, 2013.
- M. E. Cupp, S. K. Nayak, A. S. Adem, and W. J. Thomsen, “Parathyroid hormone (PTH) and PTH-related peptide domains contributing to activation of different PTH receptor-mediated signaling pathwayss,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 345, no. 3, pp. 404–418, 2013.
- T. Sikjaer, L. Rejnmark, and L. Mosekilde, “PTH treatment in hypoparathyroidism,” Current Drug Safety, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 89–99, 2011.
- N. E. Cusano, M. R. Rubin, D. J. McMahon et al., “Therapy of hypoparathyroidism with PTH(1–84): a prospective four-year investigation of efficacy and safety,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 2013.
- S. Y. Nottestad, J. J. Baumel, D. B. Kimmel, R. R. Recker, and R. P. Heaney, “The proportion of trabecular bone in human vertebrae,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 221–229, 1987.
- R. R. Recker, S. P. Bare, S. Y. Smith et al., “Cancellous and cortical bone architecture and turnover at the iliac crest of postmenopausal osteoporotic women treated with parathyroid hormone 1–84,” Bone, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2009.
- N. E. Cusano, M. R. Rubin, D. J. McMahon et al., “The effect of PTH(1-84) on quality of life in hypoparathyroidism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 2356–2361, 2013.