- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 970315, 8 pages
Human Interferon Alpha-2b: A Therapeutic Protein for Cancer Treatment
Research Center for Biotechnology, Cibinong Science Center, Jalan Raya Bogor km 46, Cibinong, Bogor, West Java 16911, Indonesia
Received 3 January 2014; Accepted 22 January 2014; Published 10 March 2014
Academic Editors: A. Asai and A. Espinosa
Copyright © 2014 Ratih Asmana Ningrum. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- F. Macdonald and C. H. J. Ford, Molecular Biology of Cancer, BIOS Scientific, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1997.
- B. A. J. Ponder, “Molecular genetics of cancer,” British Medical Journal, vol. 304, no. 6836, pp. 1234–1236, 1992.
- Y.-S. Wang, S. Youngster, M. Grace, J. Bausch, R. Bordens, and D. F. Wyss, “Structural and biological characterization of pegylated recombinant interferon alpha-2b and its therapeutic implications,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 547–570, 2002.
- B. Leader, Q. J. Baca, and D. E. Golan, “Protein therapeutics: a summary and pharmacological classification,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 21–39, 2008.
- P. Buckel, “Recombinant proteins for therapy,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 450–456, 1996.
- E. Jonasch and F. G. Haluska, “Interferon in oncological practice: review of interferon biology, clinical applications, and toxicities,” The Oncologist, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 34–55, 2001.
- C. E. Samuel, “Antiviral actions of interferons,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 778–809, 2001.
- T. A. Nyman, N. Kalkkinen, H. Tölö, and J. Helin, “Structural characterisation of N-linked and O-linked oligosaccharides derived from interferon-α2b and interferon-α14c produced by Sendai-virus- induced human peripheral blood leukocytes,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 253, no. 2, pp. 485–493, 1998.
- F. O. Neves, P. L. Ho, I. Raw, C. A. Pereira, C. Moreira, and A. L. T. O. Nascimento, “Overexpression of a synthetic gene encoding human alpha interferon in Escherichia coli,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 353–359, 2004.
- R. Radhakrishnan, L. J. Walter, A. Hruza et al., “Zinc mediated dimer of human interferon-α(2b) revealed by X-ray crystallography,” Structure, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1453–1463, 1996.
- M. C. Sarkar, D. J. Lindner, Y.-F. Liu et al., “Apoptosis and interferons: role of interferon-stimulated genes as mediators of apoptosis,” Apoptosis, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 237–249, 2003.
- B. Gao, F. Hong, and S. dan Radaeva, “Host factors and failure of interferon-α treatment in hepatitis C Virus,” Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 880–890, 2004.
- J. Bekisz, S. Baron, C. Balinsky, A. Morrow, and K. C. dan Zoon, “Antiproliferative properties of type I and type II interferon,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 994–1015, 2010.
- M. Chiariello, E. Gomez, and J. S. Gutkind, “Regulation of cyclin-dependent kinase (Cdk) 2 Thr-160 phosphorylation and activity by mitogen-activated protein kinase in late G1 phase,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 349, no. 3, pp. 869–876, 2000.
- W. Kolch, “Meaningful relationships: the regulation of the Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK pathway by protein interactions,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 351, no. 2, pp. 289–305, 2000.
- F. Romerio and D. dan Zella, “MEK and ERK inhibitors enhance the anti-proliferative effect of interferon-alpha2b,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1680–1682, 2002.
- F. Romerio, A. Riva, and D. dan Zella, “Interferon-α2b reduces phosphorylation and activity of MEK and ERK through a Ras/Raf-independent mechanism,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 532–538, 2000.
- L. S. Steelman, S. C. Pohnert, J. G. Shelton, R. A. Franklin, F. E. Bertrand, and J. A. McCubrey, “JAK/STAT, Raf/MEK/ERK, PI3K/Akt and BCR-ABL in cell cycle progression and leukemogenesis,” Leukemia, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 189–218, 2004.
- P. Tagliaferri, M. Caraglia, A. Budillon et al., “New pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic tools for interferon-alpha (IFN-α) treatment of human cancer,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2005.
- E. D. Bazhanova, “Participation of interferon-alpha in regulation of apoptosis,” Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2005.
- A. Saven and L. D. Piro, “Treatment of hairy cell leukemia,” Blood, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1111–1120, 1992.
- J. R. Quesada, J. Reuben, and J. T. Manning, “Alpha interferon for induction of remission in hairy-cell leukemia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 310, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 1984.
- M. J. Ratain, H. M. Golomb, J. W. Vardiman et al., “Relapse after interferon alfa-2b therapy for hairy-cell leukemia: analysis of prognostic variables,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1714–1721, 1988.
- I. Braide, J. Westin, H. Hasselbalch et al., “Demonstrated benefit of continuous interferon-alpha-2b therapy in hairy cell leukemia. A two-year follow-up,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 1991.
- P. Kampmeier, R. Spielberger, J. Dickstein, R. Mick, H. Golomb, and J. W. Vardiman, “Increased incidence of second neoplasms in patients treated with interferon α 2b for hairy cell leukemia: a clinicopathologic assessment,” Blood, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 2931–2938, 1994.
- J. M. Kirkwood, M. H. Strawderman, M. S. Ernstoff, T. J. Smith, E. C. Borden, and R. H. Blum, “Interferon alfa-2b adjuvant therapy of high-risk resected cutaneous melanoma: the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial EST 1684,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 7–17, 1996.
- D. A. Cameron, M. C. Cornbleet, R. M. Mackie, J. A. A. Hunter, M. Gore, and B. Hancock, “Adjuvant interferon alpha 2b in high risk melanoma—the scottish study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1146–1149, 2001.
- M. B. Lens and M. Dawes, “Interferon alfa therapy for malignant melanoma: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1818–1825, 2002.
- A. Z. S. Rohatiner, W. M. Gregory, B. Peterson et al., “Meta-analysis to evaluate the role of interferon in follicular lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2215–2223, 2005.
- M. Herold, A. Haas, S. Srock et al., “Rituximab added to first-line mitoxantrone, chlorambucil, and prednisolone chemotherapy followed by interferon maintenance prolongs survival in patients with advanced follicular lymphoma: an East German study group hematology and oncology study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 1986–1992, 2007.
- A. Rohatiner, J. Radford, D. Deakin et al., “A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the role of interferon as initial and maintenance therapy in patients with follicular lymphoma,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2001.
- M. C. Locatelli, G. Facendola, G. Pizzocaro et al., “Subcutaneous administration of interleukin-2 and interferon-α2b in advanced renal cell carcinoma: long-term results,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 172–176, 1999.
- J. Atzpodien, R. Hoffmann, M. Franzke, C. Stief, T. Wandert, and M. Reitz, “Thirteen-year, long-term efficacy of interferon 2α and interleukin 2-based home therapy in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1045–1050, 2002.
- R. C. Flanigan, S. E. Salmon, B. A. Blumenstein et al., “Nephrectomy followed by interferon alfa-2b compared with interferon alfa-2b alone for metastatic renal-cell cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 23, pp. 1655–1659, 2001.
- P. A. Volberding, R. T. Mitsuyasu, J. P. Golando, and R. J. Spiegel, “Treatment of Kaposi's sarcoma with interferon alfa2b (Intron A),” Cancer, vol. 59, pp. 620–625, 1987.
- D. Podzamczer, F. Bolao, B. Clotet et al., “Low-dose interferon alpha combined with zidovudine in patients with AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 223, no. 3, pp. 247–253, 1993.
- L. Kumar, V. P. Gangadharan, D. Raghunadha Rao et al., “Safety and efficacy of an indigenous recombinant interferon-alpha-2b in patients with chronic myelogenous leukaemia: results of a multicentre trial from India,” The National Medical Journal of India, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 66–70, 2005.
- G. Alimena, E. Morra, M. Lazzarino et al., “Interferon alpha-2b as therapy for Ph'-positive chronic myelogenous leukemia: a study of 82 patients treated with intermittent or daily administration,” Blood, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 642–647, 1988.
- F. Guilhot, C. Chastang, M. Michallet et al., “Interferon alfa-2b combined with cytarabine versus interferon alone in chronic myelogenous leukemia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 4, pp. 223–229, 1997.