- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Smart Materials Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 549621, 15 pages
Dynamics and Control of High-Rise Buildings under Multidirectional Wind Loads
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University, Alexandria 21544, Egypt
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Via G. La Masa 1, 20156 Milano, Italy
Received 30 October 2010; Revised 27 April 2011; Accepted 28 April 2011
Academic Editor: Gangbing Song
Copyright © 2011 Aly Mousaad Aly et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2006.
- Eurocode 1, “Actions on structures—part 1–4: general actions—wind actions,” European Standard prEN 1991-1-4, 2004.
- E. Simiu, “Wind loading codification in the Americas: fundamentals for a renewal,” in Proceedings of the 11th Americas Conference on Wind Engineering, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA, June 2009.
- S. X. Chen, “A more precise computation of along wind dynamic response analysis for tall buildings built in urban areas,” Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 290–298, 2010.
- Y. Zhou, T. Kijewski, and A. Kareem, “Aerodynamic loads on tall buildings: interactive database,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 394–404, 2003.
- D. K. Kwon, T. Kijewski-Correa, and A. Kareem, “E-analysis of high-rise buildings subjected to wind loads,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 134, no. 7, pp. 1139–1153, 2008.
- E. Simiu, R. D. Gabbai, and W. P. Fritz, “Wind-induced tall building response: a time-domain approach,” Wind and Structures, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 427–440, 2008.
- J. R. Wu, Q. S. Li, and A. Y. Tuan, “Wind-induced lateral-torsional coupled responses of tall buildings,” Wind and Structures, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 153–178, 2008.
- M. F. Huang, K. T. Tse, C. M. Chan et al., “An integrated design technique of advanced linear-mode-shape method and serviceability drift optimization for tall buildings with lateral-torsional modes,” Engineering Structures, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 2146–2156, 2010.
- K. T. Tse, P. A. Hitchcock, and K. C. S. Kwok, “Mode shape linearization for HFBB analysis of wind-excited complex tall buildings,” Engineering Structures, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 675–685, 2009.
- K. M. Lam and A. Li, “Mode shape correction for wind-induced dynamic responses of tall buildings using time-domain computation and wind tunnel tests,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 322, no. 4-5, pp. 740–755, 2009.
- J. T. P. Yao, “Concept of structural control,” American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of the Structural Division, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 1567–1574, 1972.
- G. W. Housner, L. A. Bergman, T. K. Caughey et al., “Structural control: past, present, and future,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 897–971, 1997.
- Y. Zhou, D. Wang, and X. Deng, “Optimum study on wind-induced vibration control of high-rise buildings with viscous dampers,” Wind and Structures, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 497–512, 2008.
- A. M. Aly and R. E. Christenson, “On the evaluation of the efficacy of a smart damper: a new equivalent energy-based probabilistic approach,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 17, no. 4, Article ID 045008, 11 pages, 2008.
- A. M. Aly, A. Zasso, and F. Resta, “On the dynamics of a very slender building under winds: response reduction using MR dampers with lever mechanism,” Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 541–553, 2011.
- R. J. McNamara, “Tuned mass dampers for buildings,” American Society of Civil Engineers Journal of the Structural Division, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 1785–1798, 1977.
- R. J. Facioni, K. C. S. Kwok, and B. Samali, “Wind tunnel investigation of active vibration control of tall buildings,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 54-55, pp. 397–412, 1995.
- M. Gu and F. Peng, “An experimental study of active control of wind-induced vibration of super-tall buildings,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 90, no. 12–15, pp. 1919–1931, 2002.
- L. T. Lu, W. L. Chiang, J. P. Tang, M. Y. Liu, and C. W. Chen, “Active control for a benchmark building under wind excitations,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 469–493, 2003.
- T. T. Soong, Active Structural Control. Theory and Practice, Longman, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- J. C. Wu and B. C. Pan, “Wind tunnel verification of actively controlled high-rise building in along-wind motion,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 90, no. 12–15, pp. 1933–1950, 2002.
- A. M. Aly, F. Resta, and A. Zasso, “Active control in a high-rise building under multidirectional wind loads,” in Proceedings of the SEI Structures Congress, Vancouver, Canada, 2008.
- A. M. Aly, On the dynamics of buildings under winds and earthquakes: response prediction and reduction, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy, 2009.
- C. Li, B. Han, J. Zhang, Y. Qu, and J. Li, “Active multiple tuned mass dampers for reduction of undesirable oscillations of structures under wind loads,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 127–149, 2009.
- A. Mohtat, A. Yousefi-Koma, and E. Dehghan-Niri, “Active vibration control of seismically excited structures by ATMDS: stability and performance robustness perspective,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 501–527, 2010.
- S. J. Park, J. Lee, H. J. Jung, D. D. Jang, and S. D. Kim, “Numerical and experimental investigation of control performance of active mass damper system to high-rise building in use,” Wind and Structures, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 313–332, 2009.
- S. Homma, J. Maeda, and N. Hanada, “The damping efficiency of vortex-induced vibration by tuned-mass damper of a tower-supported steel stack,” Wind and Structures, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 333–347, 2009.
- S. Attaway, Matlab: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving, Butterworth-Heinemann, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2009.
- G. Diana, S. De Ponte, M. Falco, and A. Zasso, “New large wind tunnel for civil environmental and aeronautical applications,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 74–76, pp. 553–565, 1998.
- A. Zasso, S. Giappino, S. Muggiasca, and L. Rosa, “Optimization of the boundary layer characteristics simulated at Politecnico di Milano boundary layer wind tunnel in a wide scale ratio ranger,” in Proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Seoul, Korea, September 2005.
- E. J. Davison, “A method for simplifying linear dynamic systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 1966.
- J. C. Wu, J. N. Yang, and W. E. Schmitendorf, “Reduced-order H∞ and LQR control for wind-excited tall buildings,” Engineering Structures, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 222–236, 1998.
- H. T. Nguyen, R. P. Nadipuram, C. L. Walker, and E. A. Walker, A First Course in Fuzzy and Neural Control, Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- M. Battaini, F. Casciati, L. Faravelli, et al., “Control algorithm and sensor location,” in Proceedings of the 2nd World Conference on Structural Control, pp. 1391–1398, Kyoto, Japan, June 1998.
- B. Samali, M. Al-Dawod, K. C. Kwok, and F. Naghdy, “Active control of cross wind response of 76-story tall building using a fuzzy controller,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 492–498, 2004.